Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Genuine Connectors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2020, 01:52 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Genuine Connectors

After recent discussions here on the forums about low-loss connectors, I have been toying with the idea of cutting away from Deans and going to XT60s. Looking on Amazon, there are lots XT60 available in quantity. Who makes these, and are knock-offs an issue? With Deans, if you bought any more than two at a time, you knew you were getting knock-offs, that would likely not be made to the same specifications as genuine Deans.

For instance, these look good, but are they "real" XT60s, or is that a concern with these?

https://www.amazon.com/Bullet-Connec...3114395&sr=8-5
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2020, 01:59 PM   #2

Default Re: Genuine Connectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
After recent discussions here on the forums about low-loss connectors, I have been toying with the idea of cutting away from Deans and going to XT60s. Looking on Amazon, there are lots XT60 available in quantity. Who makes these, and are knock-offs an issue? With Deans, if you bought any more than two at a time, you knew you were getting knock-offs, that would likely not be made to the same specifications as genuine Deans.

For instance, these look good, but are they "real" XT60s, or is that a concern with these?

https://www.amazon.com/Bullet-Connec...3114395&sr=8-5

I use these, as well as the XT90s. There are some reports and reviews of knock-offs, but I’ve had good luck getting the genuine product from Amazon. If they are knock-offs, you wouldn’t know it.

There’s a couple of key things to look for in the casting, apparently. I think amass may have a link on their page that tells you specifically what to look for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spraytruckdolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:04 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The best XT60 connectors are the ones made by Amass, they use higher quality housings that don't melt or deform. The few cheap XT60s I have can be easily identified on sight (molding isn't as crisp, kinda deformed, looks like if you photocopy a photocopy of a Amass connector).

Hard to know if you are getting actual Amass connectors from anywhere but I ordered a bunch from Banggood and they were the real thing.

https://www.banggood.com/20-Pair-Ama...r_warehouse=CN

Last edited by svt923; 06-25-2020 at 02:36 PM.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:10 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

id recommended only buying amass brand connectors. theyre the original

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
midwest_rippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:28 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I bought my xt60s from bangood. Don't know if real or fake, but they have been perfect so far. I ran them on my 8s xmaxx before I sold it, and the current owner asked me to swap them in for all of his other rcs too.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:38 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I recall the Ender 3 3D printers had a run using some knock off XT60's and they were actually meting down and failing, not RC of course but still an example of a knock off falling short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yDp9frWkcg

The listing you linked looks like the real thing but Amazon is really not the best place to source genuine anything, sure not every listing is this way but Amazon is essentially an American Ali express with many shitty sellers. If you want to be certain go to a hobby shop like RPP or Amain where they are always in charge of the products and listings.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 06-25-2020 at 03:44 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:20 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Awesome information, thanks guys!!! Needless to say that if I do decide to switch I want to order in bulk to switch everything over at the same time. I am not a fan of conversion plugs.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:26 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I love how easy these are to solder, and make them look professional

Old 06-26-2020, 06:59 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I use these and they appear to be genuine Amass. The new design with the clip to cover the terminals is great because now I don’t even bother with heat shrink, plus the black looks great.

Amass XT60H Bullet Connector Plug Upgrated of XT60 Plug Sheath Female & Male Black Plated for RC Parts Lipo Battery(10 Pairs) … https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CVSX3SY..._GLP9EbC5WG23M
Forker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:45 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

That seems to be a good price. I payed 7$ for10 of the regular ones from bangood, and waited 3 weeks to get them

Old 06-28-2020, 05:24 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Like others said, Amass is the original and best quality XT60. Of the Amass connectors I prefer the XT60H. The "H" variant incorporates a built in cable protector that snaps on the body.

https://www.amazon.com/Conector-ench...%2C1811&sr=8-4
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:32 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I recall the Ender 3 3D printers had a run using some knock off XT60's and they were actually meting down and failing, not RC of course but still an example of a knock off falling short.
In all fairness, Creaity was crimping the wires into those connectors rather than soldering them. I wouldn't blame the connectors for their misuse.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:49 PM   #13
RCC Addict

For anyone wondering about authenticity... Amass XT60 connectors have the name molded into the housings. The knockoffs that I have simply say "XT60". Maclan Racing Accessories ( available thru amain) use genuine Amass connectors fwiw. I've never had any issues with the no-name XT60's in crawlers although my Amass connectors are a tighter fit. My go-fast trucks are another story.. no name XT60's will sometimes disconnect upon hard landings.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:41 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

My xmaxx connectors only say xt60. They have worked fine on 8s.

Genuine Connectors - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody know were to get Genuine Silver or White CF? EverettY Chit Chat 5 11-21-2012 01:00 PM