Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Venom 5000 20c 2s lipo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2017, 09:53 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Venom 5000 20c 2s lipo?

I recently bought and ran a Venom 5000 20c 2s lipo in my Wraith, all stock electronics. After about 20 minutes of running pretty hard on a muddy hill climb my motor got SUPER hot and even smoked the plastic a tad before I could unplug it.

Could this be the 5000 20c's fault? Or do you think it was just the conditions and how hard I was running? The motor area wasn't packed with mud but it did get splashed with a bit of water but not drenched.

My thoughts are if the battery was to much power it would fry something else first, but it is the most power I have put to this stock Wraith.
RockBiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
MODERATOR™

Default Re: Venom 5000 20c 2s lipo?

That's not how batteries work.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

So...? You think I just over worked the motor and also got it a little wet?
I just had it down at the shop and all electronics and function checked out ok.
And yes damn it I'm still kind of a newb when it comes to the Wraith
Old 03-16-2017, 01:35 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Its not the batteries.

What plastic did you smoke? Ive had my brushed motors nearly burned up, let them cool down, and still worked. But dont expect it to last much longer...
slowmethinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:17 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Pretty sure the nylon baseplate smoked right under the motor from the smell of it, it didn't smell electrical. When I reached in to be sure it was the motor that was getting hot it scorched a little spot on my finger. But again there wasn't to much moister on or around it, light splashing at best and no mud actually on the motor. But I was building up chocolate dohnuts for tires, a lot of caked on mud and mostly full throttle without a lot of forward movement may have just got it roasting I guess. I let it cool for a while then ran it out on the gravel road at decent speed (maybe 3/4 throttle) for a while and it did fine. When I get home tonight I will run it some more to get the rest of the charge out of the battery, didn't want to push my luck last night and let it cool.

Last edited by RockBiter; 03-16-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:09 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmethinks View Post
Its not the batteries.

What plastic did you smoke? Ive had my brushed motors nearly burned up, let them cool down, and still worked. But dont expect it to last much longer...
Well damn, ran it for about 15mins last night and the motor ceased up. Oh well time for new goodies I guess.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockBiter View Post
I recently bought and ran a Venom 5000 20c 2s lipo in my Wraith, all stock electronics. After about 20 minutes of running pretty hard on a muddy hill climb my motor got SUPER hot and even smoked the plastic a tad before I could unplug it.

Could this be the 5000 20c's fault? Or do you think it was just the conditions and how hard I was running? The motor area wasn't packed with mud but it did get splashed with a bit of water but not drenched.

My thoughts are if the battery was to much power it would fry something else first, but it is the most power I have put to this stock Wraith.
I currently run the same battery on the Stock AE-2 in my wraith, the only thing i have done is put in a different servo and a 35t motor. I do not think the battery is your problem.
jreining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:58 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I'm going to get the motor out tonight and free wheel it while flexing it to make sure I don't have a weird bind up issue someplace is what I am thinking may have happened.