Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Castle Link "torque limit" problem - sidewinder 3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2017, 10:09 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Castle Link "torque limit" problem - sidewinder 3

I have a sidewinder 3 ESC connected to a brushed motor. I enable the torque limit in Castle Link, then update the settings to the ESC, then disconnect from the USB, connect the throttle line to the rx and power up the radio and ESC to begin the test. THERE IS NO SERIES OF BEEPS AT THIS POINT.

At this point, it starts acting like I'm in brushless mode, and the motor just jerks around and its all wrong. Very wrong. I go back in, disable torque limit, update the ESC, and then its all fine.

Is the torque limit setting limited to brushless motors only? Is my ESC dicked, maybe? I have the latest firmware installed.

Last edited by JoeThePro; 03-03-2017 at 12:59 PM.
JoeThePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Castle Link "torque limit" problem - sidewinder 3

Not sure why that isn't disabled in Castle Link. Torque limit only works in brushless mode because it requires knowing the motor's RPM and KV which you can't do with a brushed motor.
robert@castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:56 PM   #3
MODERATOR™

Nor need to do. Why are you limiting your available power?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:36 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I really wish they would stipulate this somewhere. Would have been nice to know.

I want to do this so that my scaler build does not jerk around when blipping or mashing the throttle. I want it to gradually pick up speed, realistically. I have punch control maxed out as well.
Seeing everyone's scalers jerk around and race up to max speed in 1/4 second just kills the effect for me, so I want to make sure mine wont be capable of doing that.
I suppose I could always just put a really weak motor in it, instead.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeThePro View Post
I really wish they would stipulate this somewhere. Would have been nice to know.

I want to do this so that my scaler build does not jerk around when blipping or mashing the throttle. I want it to gradually pick up speed, realistically. I have punch control maxed out as well.
Seeing everyone's scalers jerk around and race up to max speed in 1/4 second just kills the effect for me, so I want to make sure mine wont be capable of doing that.

That's easily accomplished with throttle curves or exponential on the radio settings.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
That's easily accomplished with throttle curves or exponential on the radio settings.
Not quite! If I had control over the torque, I could control how long it takes to get to max speed when the throttle is mashed. It would be a nice slow smooth acceleration.

With throttle curves I could make the curve completely flat, but the 100% throttle input is still mapped to 100% motor output. So mashing the throttle would still blast it up to full power. You can sort of get around this by setting the max power to a lower percentage, but then you might not ever get up to the desired speed.

The torque limiting lets you slow down acceleration while still (pretty much...) getting up to max speed.

Most people seem to misunderstand this...
Old 03-03-2017, 03:01 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Sorry to be kind of a jerk, but you could, ya know, slowly increase your throttle until you are at 100% and not simply grab WOT...
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:01 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Set throttle curves then set the throttle trim back so it doesn't reach 100%...
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:35 PM   #9
MODERATOR™

No shit, use your finger.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:36 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro racer View Post
Sorry to be kind of a jerk, but you could, ya know, slowly increase your throttle until you are at 100% and not simply grab WOT...
I guess where I'm coming from is that I want this to be as realistic as possible. I want the throttle trigger to make the truck respond like the throttle pedal in a 1:1 would. When you mash WOT in a real vehicle, it takes off but nowhere close to how fast (relative to scale) that RC vehicles can. So I want to emulate this with these CC controls, or some other method.

I dont want to have to "fake" it with my finger control. It wouldnt feel realistic to me. Why go through all this trouble of making my RC as scale realistic as possible with suspension, chassis, body, etc... and then have this comically overpowered motor system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
Set throttle curves then set the throttle trim back so it doesn't reach 100%...
Thanks for the suggestion, but again, this would prevent me from reaching my desired top speed. With torque control, the top speed is still attainable, it just takes longer. The vehicle responds more smoothly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
No shit, use your finger.
See above, smartass. Try to open your mind a bit, not everyone wants to do things the way you do, or the way its commonly done.

Last edited by JoeThePro; 03-03-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:41 PM   #11
MODERATOR™

You're the Pro.

Sure, not everyone wants to do it the normal and easy way. Enjoy that, Pro.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Well, as much as I still don't understand why you would want to do that, I can appreciate the idea behind it.

I do have an idea that may help though, but it depends on what radio you have. On a Spektrum DX4c and DX4s there is a setting called "servo speed" and it does exactly what it sounds like. I don't know exactly to what proportion the servo slows down (I'll check that in a few minutes here), but that may be something to look into.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:47 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
You're the Pro.

Sure, not everyone wants to do it the normal and easy way. Enjoy that, Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro racer View Post
Well, as much as I still don't understand why you would want to do that, I can appreciate the idea behind it.

I do have an idea that may help though, but it depends on what radio you have. On a Spektrum DX4c and DX4s there is a setting called "servo speed" and it does exactly what it sounds like. I don't know exactly to what proportion the servo slows down (I'll check that in a few minutes here), but that may be something to look into.
I have a Flysky GT3C. Sounds like an interesting feature though, I'll need to dig into the manual for my radio to see if there is anything that could help me like that.

Last edited by JoeThePro; 03-03-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:48 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I just messed with the Servo Speed for my B5 on my DX6r, and it really slows the steering down a lot. It went from .05 second transit to one-Mississippi, two-Mississippi. So, Joe, this is probably the best/easiest way I can find to achieve what you are looking for.

(I know you're looking for throttle, but my transmission is blown so I can't check that)
Old 03-03-2017, 03:56 PM   #15
MODERATOR™

Pros don't post stupid memes, Joe. C'mon man.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:58 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

If the torque limit only works for brushless, ever think of switching to a brushless system? So that way u can control it like you want

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Rickleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:04 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickleo View Post
If the torque limit only works for brushless, ever think of switching to a brushless system? So that way u can control it like you want

I thought about it, but I'll see how it responds this weekend once I get the electronics installed with the brushed motor. If it's just not working for me then I'll look into a brushless. Shoulda got the Mamba max pro, in that case, so I could go sensored for smoother startups! Always have that option in the future.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2017, 07:22 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I thought about it, but I'll see how it responds this weekend once I get the electronics installed with the brushed motor. If it's just not working for me then I'll look into a brushless. Shoulda got the Mamba max pro, in that case, so I could go sensored for smoother startups! Always have that option in the future.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Well I hope you can get it to throttle up like you want so you can enjoy the scaleness of your build. Good luck friend

Rickleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:38 PM   #19

I fully understand why he wants that. What I don't get is why he is being trolled by fellow RC enthusiast (edited to remove the "s" at enthusiasts) that also happens to be a mod on this forum?

I would get a cheap used brushless motor and use the torque limit feature and experiment from there to achieve what you want. I don't want to mislead you, but I would think limiting the current would reduce stress on the motor so a cheaper and weaker one could be used, and not fear too much of blowing it. Or just get a typical brushless motor you can also use for some future builds.

Last edited by Frederik; 03-03-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Frederik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederik View Post
I fully understand why he wants that. What I don't get is why he is being trolled by fellow RC enthusiast (edited to remove the "s" at enthusiasts) that also happens to be a mod on this forum?
If you can't take the heat then gtfo the kitchen.
UGLY is offline   Reply With Quote

Castle Link "torque limit" problem - sidewinder 3 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Castle Creation SV3 motor turn limit question arctichorse Electronics 1 04-07-2014 06:07 PM
Castle sv3 motor limit? For brushed Bogncrawl Electronics 2 07-19-2013 07:56 PM
Castle field link problem parker88 Electronics 1 12-01-2012 01:19 AM
Castle link driver problem asian195 Electronics 13 10-29-2011 10:21 PM
Castle Link Install Problem Knarly Nerd Electronics 2 06-06-2010 08:51 PM