Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Error message on charger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2018, 10:51 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Error message on charger

Ok so I need some help understanding a couple of error messages on my charger. I just got a couple of my batteries back from my brother and went to charge them. They are reaction 3s 5000mah and the charger is a prodigy 680. One battery it says output short circuits and the other battery it says battery low voltage. I'm not the smartest when it comes to electronics haha so with the total voltage to low and the short circuit does that mean the batteries are toast?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
TIREBUSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2018, 02:41 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Error message on charger

The important takeaway here is that you should not loan your brother stuff you care about, or at least lipo batteries. This is also for his safety, because lipo batteries tend to burn things when you mistreat them, which he probably has, lucky for him nothing bad happened to him.

Since you have admitted to being "not the smartest when it comes to electronics" my suggestion is dispose of the batteries properly by using a low power discharge source such as a light bulb, draining the battery to zero and taking it to a battery recycling facility. Perhaps call a facility and see if they are willing to drain it, like batteries+for example.

The batteries don't have a discharge protection built in, that is handled by a properly configured ESC. It sounds like what ever he used them for did not have that discharge protection and he drained the batteries below the about 3 volts required for your chargers safety protections.

Since they are safety protections I will not tell you how you can charge the low voltage battery.

The output short circuits is probably referring to the main leads on the batteries, If the charger has correctly read it as a short, it could be because the leads on the pack side have melted off, have moved, and are now touching each other.
It could also be a glitch in the charger, I think i have seen that message before on a good batter but can't remember how I fixed it. I think I just unplugged the charger for a few minutes.
If you have a volt meter you can also check the voltage on the individual cells from the balance plug. If the voltage is below 3 on any of the cells, I suggest disposing of the battery properly.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 09-11-2018 at 02:45 AM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Error message on charger - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charger give battery voltage error t3yf5g Electronics 11 09-04-2012 01:32 PM
Hyperion Charger + Balancer = No battery error _BEN_ Electronics 5 06-11-2010 03:28 PM
Error Message? mann0mann Comments, Suggestions, and Help 0 03-06-2010 07:27 PM
Venom Pro Charger Error treday619 Electronics 2 01-17-2010 12:11 PM
the best rccrawler error message jetboat Chit Chat 12 09-23-2008 10:26 PM