Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Carbon Fiber mounting trays - OK for ESC / RX?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2019, 12:23 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Carbon Fiber mounting trays - OK for ESC / RX?

I'm building a SCX10 / SCX10-II hybrid rig with a mix of OG SCX10 parts and SCX10-II upgraded parts. I wanted to give an axle-mounted servo a try. It seems to have lot of steering, which is primarily what I'm after.

I also wanted to be able to fit a ProLine 1966 Bronco body, which can be tough to fit over the newer SCX10-II RTR trans and side trays due to the deep interior this body has.

I ended up running an old-school AX10 trans and leaving off the side trays. I tried to use the OG SCX10 front-mounted battery tray, but it stuck up too high. Then I found a combination transverse-mounted battery tray and front-mounted electronics tray on Amazon that looked like it would work perfectly.

I purchased the item, and it came in today. I installed the battery tray and electronics mount, and mocked up my electronics. The fit is perfect.

But then I remembered that carbon fiber is conductive, and can interfere with radio signals. Do I need to do anything special to shield the ESC, RX, or battery from the carbon fiber to prevent shorting or interference? Will the heavy duty double-sided tape I'm using to mount the ESC be sufficient? Should I source a small receiver box? I'm not likely to run this rig in water. It doesn't rain here a lot...
boldfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2019, 03:55 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Carbon Fiber mounting trays - OK for ESC / RX?

carbon fiber conductive? I mean everything can conduct I suppose, at 40,000 volts air is conductive.
Edit: ooh it can be, but nah don't worry about it, little bubble gum in between and your doing to be fine. You can mount these things right on aluminum as long as the contacts don't touch.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 07-17-2019 at 04:21 AM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:54 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I wouldn't worry about the CF as long as you have any exposed wires laying on it. Nearly all on-road race cars run the electronics on a carbon fiber chassis and a lot more things can go wrong in something rocketing around at 60 mph than on a SCX10.

svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:18 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Carbon is conductive but not remotely enough to worry about here. Maybe if your antenna element was taped directly onto it- then it would attenuate range somewhat but you're not driving this thing 500ft+ away so its ultimately a non issue. Still I always recommend mounting the active element of the antenna vertically just out of principle.

As said above just make sure your wiring (any of it) isn't smashed/rubbing/strained with potential to be abraded and exposed and you're good to go.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Carbon Fiber mounting trays - OK for ESC / RX? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carbon Fiber limited77 Tools, and Procedures 7 01-05-2008 01:01 PM