Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Sensored brushless 540 recommendations and copperhead10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2023, 11:37 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Sensored brushless 540 recommendations and copperhead10

Alright. I have a RR10 bomber with a sensored brushless 1850kv motor on 3s. It worked great till it cooked a hobbyking xcar 80amp esc out of the blue this past summer (at a very bad time 30 secs into a camping trip in prime crawling territory I might add..... def not sour about that, no not one bit, especially after 4+ years of zero issue............ )

That motor and esc combo with any 3s battery I have had no problem looping the rr10 over backwards rolling into the throttle if a rear tire got caught, or spinning the slipper clutch with it wound super tight if you jabbed the throttle quick with it bound up. You could give it all the beans you wanted!

Fast forward to me being PISSED about missing out on epic crawling due to "cheap chinese esc" going poof and I bought a copperhead 10 from castle because of their reputation and my experience with them in other applications.

ESC is great and has tons of features and "tuneability" but... with this motor the stall torque is minimal. I have tried everything within the settings of castle link and nothing comes close to being able to slip the slipper clutch or flip the rr10 on its lid torque like previous. Only change being the ESC.

The ESC itself doesnt even seem to try to give the motor full power when its stalled and ends up giving up after about 5 secs, even at full throttle (if you roll into the throttle).

Am I just asking too much of the Copperhead 10? I cant imagine a very mild 1850kv motor on 3s being too much for a 4s capable ESC... so what are yalls thoughts?

Also, outside of the copperhead 10 whats waterproof SENSORED escs are recommended these days?

Last edited by nd4spdbh; 02-19-2023 at 11:49 PM.
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2023, 08:53 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Sensored brushless 540 recommendations and copperhead10

im just taking a guess but sounds like your esc has the copperhead curse
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 09:40 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
im just taking a guess but sounds like your esc has the copperhead curse
Haha maybe? It's not the same cutting out in the middle of running like others are reporting.

It runs great just doesn't have the low end torque that it used to have with the 25$ ESC.

For note, I have even gone as far as turning LVC off, turning off punch control, and start power high.
Old 02-20-2023, 11:01 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
Haha maybe? It's not the same cutting out in the middle of running like others are reporting.

It runs great just doesn't have the low end torque that it used to have with the 25$ ESC.

For note, I have even gone as far as turning LVC off, turning off punch control, and start power high.
ive noticed when the capacitor goes bad they dont have any low end anymore thats what makes me think theres a problem might be worth a call to castle
Old 02-20-2023, 11:05 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Interesting, even on a brand new unit with less than one battery through it?
Old 02-20-2023, 03:48 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
Interesting, even on a brand new unit with less than one battery through it?
its posable call castle see what they have to say

the copperhead if i remeber right is a 60 amp esc so maybe your motor just isent getting as much power as it used too im just guessin maybe someone else who is more familure with the copperhead will chime in ive used other castle escs but never a copperhead
Old 02-20-2023, 10:06 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

That would be rather disappointing considering its a very mild motor. I grabbed some logs from it tonight and it shows a "Motor start fail" when its fully stalled and cant power through it (like the previous cheapo esc). But whats also interesting is it shows that battery voltage drops to zero (from a normal voltage reading) at the same time of the motor start fault.

Tried smart sense mode, full sensored mode, no lvc, did the torque test on the esc etc.

It might seem as if the copperhead 10 just isnt that great of an ESC for this situation. Ill reach out to castle tomorrow. And maybe grab a mabma x on amazon as a test.

Last edited by nd4spdbh; 02-20-2023 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:53 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Just curious; Have you put the motor on a motorlyser to test it?
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 09:05 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8tr View Post
Just curious; Have you put the motor on a motorlyser to test it?
Only motor test I have done is the one as part of the castle software.

The motor itself is this
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...or-1870kv.html

Claimed max amps is all of 17A (no load is 2A). Timing is set at 0 (the midpoint in the timing throw)

Attached is a pic, notice how EVERYTHING drops off when you get the "Motor Start Fail"

Old 02-21-2023, 11:43 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

The Mamba X is pretty bulletproof, I'm really hoping castle doesnt repalce it with a new flawed ESC like the copperhead.

I have a copperhead in a trail rig and it will cut out when just sitting still before a run. It doesnt lack torque though.

I wonder if this is the same motor that was on your last setup?
Is it possible it was overheated? It doesnt sound like it but I thought I'd ask.
Have you tried swapping the sensor cable?
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 11:54 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
The Mamba X is pretty bulletproof, I'm really hoping castle doesnt repalce it with a new flawed ESC like the copperhead.

I have a copperhead in a trail rig and it will cut out when just sitting still before a run. It doesnt lack torque though.

I wonder if this is the same motor that was on your last setup?
Is it possible it was overheated? It doesnt sound like it but I thought I'd ask.
Have you tried swapping the sensor cable?
The ONLY thing that has changed is the switch to the copperhead 10.

Different sensor cable makes no difference. I have emailed castle so we will see what they say.
Old 03-23-2023, 03:21 PM   #12

Hopefully Im not gonna regret saying this but I run 2 different Copperhead setups in 2 different rigs and both have been flawless for me. Plan to pick another 1 up to put in my sons crawler for him to go brushless eventually.
RecklessTrent91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 04:44 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessTrent91 View Post
Hopefully Im not gonna regret saying this but I run 2 different Copperhead setups in 2 different rigs and both have been flawless for me. Plan to pick another 1 up to put in my sons crawler for him to go brushless eventually.
I’ve had one for a while now powering a Holmes Puller Pro 2200 and haven’t been plagued by any Copperhead gremlins (fingers crossed).
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:06 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessTrent91 View Post
I pulled mine out of my bomber and havnt used it other than testing in another non sensored brushless rig, it functions flawless I just think it might not like my turnigy sensored motor.

I dont think I plan on keeping it so shoot me a PM if you wanted a lightly used (like 1 battery) copperhead.

Sensored brushless 540 recommendations and copperhead10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommendations for yeti sensored combo Snakeob General Crawlers 6 01-23-2019 02:26 PM
540 motor recommendations KC5H Redcat Crawlers 4 07-17-2013 05:54 PM
are all sensored brushless motors work with any sensored esc? jebster Electronics 8 01-02-2012 10:47 AM