Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Setting up Two Position DIG on Capra - Help Please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2021, 02:52 PM   #1

Default Setting up Two Position DIG on Capra - Help Please

So this may be a totally stupid question, but I am way behind on understanding electronics. Just built a Capra with DIG function, have an SRM-315 Rx and a Spektrum DX5C Tx. I have the DIG Servo (Spektrum SX-107) plugged into the AUX1 port of the Rx.

So I have tried to program a momentary button (in my case G) to the AUX1 function on the Tx expecting it to rotate the DIG Servo when pressed and to keep it in a fixed (4wd) position when its not depressed.

Nothing happens at all when I engage the G (AUX1) button on the Tx. Is there a possibility that one of the other AUX channels would feed this AUX1 port on the Rx or what else could I have going on that it won't work?

Also, I set the limits to 30% to start out so as to attempt not to burn up the servo and I do have the servo saver in place. I can't sort what would possibly be wrong.

Any help is appreciated.
Texas_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2021, 07:49 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Setting up Two Position DIG on Capra - Help Please

Programming the DX5C is a nightmare. My first suggestion would be to try a different button for it, see if there's any luck there. After that, I would try plugging a different servo into AUX1 to see if it works-- there's a fair chance the SX107 has already died. Mine didn't last a full pack.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:57 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

If I remember correctly, G is momentary only, and may have to have the throw reversed to make it work. I've set up a DX5c on a 10.3 Gladiator, and a Capra and have it that way on my 4-10 Ultra.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:14 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

No, G can definitely be used as a switch-- I use it for the 2-speed on both my TRX-4s.

I will say that for the Capra dig servo, setting the center and endpoints is absolutely critical. The full-size servo I'm now using uses less than 30% of it's total throw-- I mean, the total distance between 4WD and dig is like 8mm.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:27 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The BIGGEST problem with the dig (Capra & SCX10-III) isn't setting it up...it's the piece-of-garbage SX107 servo. The BEST suggestion/recommendation is to replace it asap, work something like the Reef's 99 or Power HD TR-4. As for the SX107 'specific' servo saver, something Axial/Horizon Hobby doesn't like to let people know (though, some support personnel will tell customers) is that there IS a servo saver kit that includes multiple lengths of the upper piece, plus multiple standard-size lower (spline) pieces - AXIC3009.

This allows you to use ANY micro/mini/standard size servo with the Capra/SCX10-III dig. While the stock skid can only fit a micro, there are 3rd-party skids (mostly 3D-printed) that are designed to hold a standard servo.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 12:13 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

'G' should work, but you might have to reassign the timer function first.

Dumb question, but do you have the servo linkage disconnected when you are trying to set all of this up?
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
No, G can definitely be used as a switch-- I use it for the 2-speed on both my TRX-4s.

I will say that for the Capra dig servo, setting the center and endpoints is absolutely critical. The full-size servo I'm now using uses less than 30% of it's total throw-- I mean, the total distance between 4WD and dig is like 8mm.
Thanks I started it at 10% limits but its not acting like its getting any signal
Old 05-26-2021, 06:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
The BIGGEST problem with the dig (Capra & SCX10-III) isn't setting it up...it's the piece-of-garbage SX107 servo. The BEST suggestion/recommendation is to replace it asap, work something like the Reef's 99 or Power HD TR-4. As for the SX107 'specific' servo saver, something Axial/Horizon Hobby doesn't like to let people know (though, some support personnel will tell customers) is that there IS a servo saver kit that includes multiple lengths of the upper piece, plus multiple standard-size lower (spline) pieces - AXIC3009.

This allows you to use ANY micro/mini/standard size servo with the Capra/SCX10-III dig. While the stock skid can only fit a micro, there are 3rd-party skids (mostly 3D-printed) that are designed to hold a standard servo.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place

Good to know, I did order another servo that I am going to try
Old 05-26-2021, 06:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
'G' should work, but you might have to reassign the timer function first.

Dumb question, but do you have the servo linkage disconnected when you are trying to set all of this up?
Not following the "reassing the timer function" can you expound on what that is and how, exactly to do it?

And yes I am setting it up with it disconnected and sub-trim limits set down at 10% for starting points, thanks!
Old 05-26-2021, 07:07 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Jester View Post
Not following the "reassing the timer function" can you expound on what that is and how, exactly to do it?

And yes I am setting it up with it disconnected and sub-trim limits set down at 10% for starting points, thanks!
Default function for SW-G is the timer start/stop. Assigning an AUX channel to SW-G should be fine, but sometimes the radio gets confused. To correct this, scroll down to 'Timer', select it, and reassign that function's switch.

Next, when you go into the 'AUX Assign' menu, go to AUX 1, and select Input to -G-. Then scroll down under Momentary and select 'Active'.

Last edited by Greatscott; 05-26-2021 at 07:34 PM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:52 PM   #11

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
capra, dig, servo help

Setting up Two Position DIG on Capra - Help Please - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial SCX24 Setting Neurtral Throttle Position? cjt Micro Scale Rigs 4 04-16-2020 07:24 PM
setting up a dig with a dx3s jl.graphics Team Losi Comp Crawler 8 05-06-2013 05:51 PM
Setting DX3S up for DIG Davenow Electronics 1 10-06-2009 02:35 PM
Need help setting up HR dig w/ 3PDF Pete from Houston Electronics 0 07-05-2009 02:37 PM