Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Futaba 3PV vs Flysky GT5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2021, 06:39 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Futaba 3PV vs Flysky GT5

The new truck I'm working on needs a radio. Other than throttle and steering, the only extra channel I might need would be lights (even that I probably could skip).

I am trying to decide between the Futaba 3PV and the Flysky GT5. I recognize the great value of the flysky, but for me the extra channels would be wasted.

The main reason I'm considering the more expensive Futaba is that I have a pretty cheap Spektrum STX3 that works just fine but feels cheap. I don't want to overstate how much of a (1st world) problem this is, but I will say that cheap flimsy plastic isn't my favorite way to experience one of these typically not-cheap trucks. I have to wonder if the Futaba feels better.

So, for those of you have exposure to both of these radios, leaving out the stuff I don't need (fancy extra steering channels, etc.), does the Futaba feel better? Higher quality? Are the controls somehow smoother? I don't mind paying an extra $65 if its better, so is it?

Thanks
mash914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2021, 07:31 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Futaba 3PV vs Flysky GT5

Between my Futaba 4PLS and my FlySky, the feel is noticeable. Overall fit and smoothness.
Performance wise almost equal

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:18 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Futaba 3PV vs Flysky GT5

I realize this isn't exactly an equal comparison, but I do have all three brands - two different "low-end" Spektrum, a FlySky GT3C, and a Futaba 7PX. Both Spektrum units feel, as you said, cheap & flimsy (although, realistically, neither feels overly 'flimsy'. The FlySky feels a bit more solid, but not by a huge difference (the plastic of both brands is extremely similar). The Futaba, on the other hand, feels extremely solid, and in no way 'cheap'. Plus, the plastic is far less flexible.

The biggest differences between the FlySky & Futaba are in the programming...specifically, the ease of programming, and the organization of the menus. This is where the Futaba really shines. While the Futaba menu system does have multiple 'layers' (which does confuse some), they are well-organized, and (once you learn to understand the groupings) fairly easy to understand. I should mention that, with FlySky, the 'controls'to within programming are all backwards...pressing a button, or turning a dial, in one direction produces 'results' in the opposite direction. Talk about being SERIOUSLY confusing.

My best suggestions would be to find people at your LHS and/or track who have the Txs you're considering, and see if they'll let you try them out...see which works, and 'fits', better for you. You might find that you prefer the layout of the buttons better on one, or you might prefer the menu system of one...it's going to be different for different people.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 02:16 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I have the 3PV and 2 GT5 setups. The 3PV is the "cheap" Futaba. Fit and finish and feel are so-so. My personal preference is the GT5. Not to mention the GT5 with a receiver costs less than a single receiver for the Futaba. One of my buddy's that is still into crawling got rid of all his "name" brand equipment and went to the GT5 as well.
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:18 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I use an Futaba 4PM for racing and Flysky GT5's for all my crawlers. My Futaba doesn't really feel any more high quality than the Flysky. Programming adjustability and menu navigation are very easy on the GT5 compared to older GT3B/C. Actually far easier than a Futaba. Receivers are also about 1/4 the cost of Futaba (and way smaller). For crawling, a GT5 is way to go. You won't need any more adjustments that it already has and you'll save cash.
FastMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Futaba 3PV vs Flysky GT5 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New FlySky controller? FlySky FS-GT5 6 Channel Transmitter & FS-Gi6 Receiver Set soze Electronics 221 01-16-2024 12:49 PM
Futaba 3PV Rockin140 Electronics 3 09-03-2021 12:33 AM
Flysky FS-GT5 same as Turnigy GT5? xagoras Electronics 1 03-22-2021 06:24 PM
Flysky GT-3C vs GT5 Stomp Electronics 14 09-28-2019 08:43 PM