Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mamba x vs axe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2022, 08:49 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Mamba x vs axe

I have a trx4 with a 2 speed tranny. Mainly crawling but wouldnt mind some good speed occasionally. Looking to upgrade to brushless. I started with the 2 in 1 fusion and realized I wanted more wheel speed than that setup. I then went to almost getting the 550 3300kv axe setup on 3s. And now I'm seeing alot of talk on a mamba x and hh setup. Cost isnt a huge factor. I just really liked the idea of foc and how smooth the axe seemed to be. Looking for some input. Thanks
norcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2022, 09:56 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Mamba x vs axe

I like the Mamba X, it has worked well in my rigs, and has given me zero problems. The biggest criticism that I can give it is the sensor cable; the cable/connectors are not waterproof, but the rest of the system is. This can be easily gotten around with a dab if dielectric grease on both ends. The grease works, but it is a bit messy, and attracts dirt like nobody's business.

With that, I know a lot of people that use the Axe system, and are very happy with it. Their biggest complaint is the sensor cable, it is waterproof, but the connector can be a pain to hide/mount on a chassis.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 10:33 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I don't have any rigs with any of the axe systems, but I have a Mamba X in two rigs, a Mamba X Micro in another, and a Copperhead in another. I feel like the startup is smooth enough for me with a 3500kv Puller Pro.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 10:36 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

The advantage of the mamba x is the aux wire imo. Having the option to control the drag brake real time from the remote is excellent. For a fast(ish) rig that will also crawl I think it's the best option.
bgredjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 11:18 AM   #5
RCC Addict

My opinion, axe is definitely capable of slower, smoother low end. Also, much quieter.

I sold my axe setup and mostly have mamba x/micros now though. They are plenty smooth and I like the auxiliary wire function, as well as the ability to use castle link. Not to mention being able to run most sensored motors, and not being tied to hw motors because of the sensor cable.

Money no object, I’d get a mamba x and a puller pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 12:24 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Norcrawler, my suggestion is either a Mamba X or Copperhead with a Puller Pro 2700kv. I have a Copperhead/Puller Pro 2200kv combo in my TRX4 (used to be a 2-speed, now single speed Sport trans) and I thought it was way fast for me, but I do far more crawling than trailing. This combo is surprisingly quiet and with some minor esc tuning it’s got very good low speed control, not quite on the level of my Fusion, but still really good. I have no problems with the AXE system except you’re going to limit yourself with motor options if you go that route.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 12:53 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I haven't tried an axe yet but I have a few mamba x's. I keep buying mamba x too cause the aux wire, 6s capability, and ability to run other motors.
Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 01:05 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

As an owner of a TRX-4 with a 2-speed, powered by an AXE 550 3300kv (on 3S,) I can tell you with some certainty-- it's too much. The low speed control is absolutely outstanding-- but you can, at most, get to maybe half throttle. You can't run a pinion smaller than a 12T, as it runs a 5mm bore pinion-- which means High Gear in the trans is well north of 20mph. You find out how "crawler oriented" that suspension is when trying to just cover open ground at that kind of speed. I personally find the 2-speed in a TRX-4 to be perfect for a 27T or 35T in brushed, so say... 2300kv or lower.

Had I to do it again, I'd have the AXE 540L 2100kv in there.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 06:46 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I have a trx4 with 2 speed. I had the Axe 550 3300KV and it was awesome! But I went with a mamba x and Puller pro 3500kv due to the white wire on the X.
ScottyPotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 06:54 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
My opinion, axe is definitely capable of slower, smoother low end. Also, much quieter.

I sold my axe setup and mostly have mamba x/micros now though. They are plenty smooth and I like the auxiliary wire function, as well as the ability to use castle link. Not to mention being able to run most sensored motors, and not being tied to hw motors because of the sensor cable.

Money no object, I’d get a mamba x and a puller pro.

I would say the statement above should be highly considered. You and use any motor you want. I guess it really depends on what you want to do with the truck. Straight crawler or, more trail truck. Me personally, I do more trailing and, power on tap is always a good thing.
Sniper4370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 08:58 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper4370 View Post
I would say the statement above should be highly considered. You and use any motor you want. I guess it really depends on what you want to do with the truck. Straight crawler or, more trail truck. Me personally, I do more trailing and, power on tap is always a good thing.
I'd like something all around but to be realistic, Its gonna be 95% straight crawling. I'm out with buddies with with capra's often. But id like the option to be able to haul ass on occasion lol. I remember castle being top notch from back then and I'm sure it's a better system. I'm really just leaning more towards a 2800kv axe 540 setup. The drag brake and auto brake seem like something the castle doesnt offer as much. That and a few comments regarding the axe setup being smoother at lower speeds. I'd take smoother low end over overall punch of a setup. On a vehicle like this. I know a few mentioned the aux white wire but I feel like that's really not a deal breaker for me. I would have to sacrifice a channel on my radio for that aswell I'm pretty sure.
I do agree the proprietary motor is a buzz kill. But realistically a brushless motor will last quite some time. Not sure if I will have the need to be swapping brushless motors around
Old 03-02-2022, 01:06 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Mamba-X, HH puller pro reg 2200kv on 6s 9/45 pinion spur. Trx4 2 speed.

Lots of speed that's uncontrollable for me. But use two 3s batteries. In parallel for crawling. In series for wheelies and barrel rolls.

Mamba x has good drag brake but I don't know if it has the delayed brake like hobbywing has. Just don't let off the trigger as fast.

Edit: it also has brake ramping. Or delayed drag brake.

https://youtu.be/xlGEywtHVrk

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 03-02-2022 at 11:55 AM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 06:37 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

In my personal experience having run many many set ups, I think the Mamba X or even Copperhead is smoother than the Axe systems, they are also more punchy and more programmable.
If you don't want to run more than 4s and aren't bothered about the crawler/basher aux feature of the Mamba X, then the Copperhead is also a great option.
I personally think the Castle motors that come in the combos are also fantastic, but I've only used 1 HH motor thus far and 6 of the Castle combos.
I don't really have a personal experience opinion on the HH brushless stuff.
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 08:55 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

i have an axe in 1 truck and micro x crawler with a hh stubby in another.
i almost like the axe more because its quiet the micro/hh emites noise id also say its not as smooth of a startup as the axe but i think its a more powerfull startup. with adjusting the linear on the micro/hh its super smooth but still makes more noise will buy more of each probly just cuz the micro/hh is cheaper and lighter for certain setups
ben h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:58 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

With a MambaX you can o up to 6s.

You can run all sorts of motors and change them as you want.

You have allot of programing capability.

It has a legit internal BEC.

You can on and off your drag brake from you control.

With the Axe you are 3s.

You can't change you motor

not as much programmability

I think it has a decent internal BEC but not as powerful as the Mamba

You can't turn on and off your drag brake from you controller

I have a few MambaXs and no Axes so as far as performance and real world use ????????????
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 01:50 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Mambax much more programming options, hobbywing is easier to program (computer program vs Bluetooth app)

Mamba has a stronger BEC

Mamba with a HH Puller pro will be an almost unoticable amount smoother, but gives more punch. The extra punch isn't really needed when crawling but it does have more punch.

Axe is a good amount cheaper.

For most crawling, the axe is plenty, you'll never use more than 4s on a crawler and even 4s is kind of overkill. You can program the Axe on the fly with an app, Mamba requires a castle link cable to connect to your PC.

You won't notice much of a difference trailing around and crawling, maybe on technical sections you can really fine tune a mamba to your liking, but most people wouldn't notice.
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 12:30 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Alright yall talked me into it. As much as I was leaning towards axe. I'm going for the mamba x and hh puller pro. I'm gonna do the 2700kv I think. What's the difference on standard vs stubby? Obviously length. But will the stubby have less or more low speed startup?
Old 03-03-2022, 01:46 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Assuming the same kv, startup is definitely smoother with the standard, less "spongey" feeling.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 04:28 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

The standard has more toque.
ScottyPotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 06:19 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcrawler View Post
Alright yall talked me into it. As much as I was leaning towards axe. I'm going for the mamba x and hh puller pro. I'm gonna do the 2700kv I think. What's the difference on standard vs stubby? Obviously length. But will the stubby have less or more low speed startup?

I feel like I’ve heard Holmes say the stubby is comparable to the full size castle slate motor in terms of power. The standard size is just a beast.

I can’t say that I’ve noticed any difference in startup between my standard 2200kv pp and my 2700kv stubby pp. definitely more torque out of the standard sized motor. Wish I would have got the 2700kv instead though.

twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mamba x vs axe - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which one would you prefer? Mamba X vs. AXE ? Veteran Axial SCX10 III 17 04-17-2020 01:39 PM
X vs. Axe who you got ? Frank211 Electronics 16 12-20-2018 07:55 AM
Blade cp or Axe cp-L 2fknqwk Chit Chat 7 05-12-2008 07:41 PM
The Axe!! The Real Dogman Axial AX-10 Scorpion 64 11-12-2007 10:37 AM