Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Dx-7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
06 Super National Champ

Default Dx-7

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM2710

More radio than we need for crawlers, but still cool.

Sad thing is that I just picked up a JR 7202 two weeks ago.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2006, 11:21 PM   #2
Release your anger..

thats nice
i just wondering what to do with 7 channels
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:32 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Flash Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:43 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I saw the DX7 at I-hobby. I'vs been toying with the idea of going to a stick radio for obvious reasons, But I'm just not sure I have the manual dexterity to handle it.

My partner has a stick TX on his clod. While I was showing people how his rig would do wheelies with the A-123 cells and the turbo module, I came real close to crashing through other peoples booths with it.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:27 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Other than $ is there any reason not to get the DX7 instead of a DX6

Last edited by Fishmaxx; 11-01-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:31 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

i'm trying to make the same decision right now - dx6 vs. dx7. i only need 4 channels and don't need all the extra bells and whistles that a helicopter/advanced plane needs, so i'm probably just saving some $$ and getting the dx6. the difference is about $150 - which is pretty significant. if it were only 20 or 30 bucks, i'd probably go with the dx7.
ClodMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:04 PM   #7
MSH
Pebble Pounder

its a nice radio, but why would you buy it for crawling?
just a dx6 is probly the best you need.
plus you got 4 antennas on the receiver.
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:55 PM   #8
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaxx
Other than $ is there any reason not to get the DX7 instead of a DX6
The DX7 comes with four standard size 88oz digital servos and has the ability to work over a greater distance than the DX6.

For all intents and purposes, the DX7 is a 2.4GHz version of the 7202PCM that I just bought.

The DX6 was intended to be use as a parkflyer radio only...it wasn't until I modded one that we started using them in ground based rigs.

I see no reason to choose the DX7 over the DX6 if your intended use is in crawling only.

If you plan on moving into airplanes (larger than parkflyers) then you might want the DX7. The DX7 will also work with the AR6000 and BR6000 RXs that are sold for the DX6.

Another thing to consider...the DX6 is $200. For that price you get the radio and four 17oz micro servos.

The DX7 is $350 and comes with four 88oz standard size digital servos. So you're looking at a price difference of $150 to get larger servos and a TX that will work with any dual-link Spektrum RX and will operate in/around any type of powerplant.

Like I said in the first post, it's more radio than we need for crawlers, but it's still cool.

If I hadn't pulled the trigger on the 7202 two weeks ago I'd have pre-ordered the Spektrum version of the 7202 (which is what the DX7 is) for $20 more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH
its a nice radio, but why would you buy it for crawling?
just a dx6 is probly the best you need.
plus you got 4 antennas on the receiver.
In the first post I said that it's more than we need for a crawler. ;)

The DX7 work with the AR6000 and BR6000 RXs that the DX6 uses. It's backwards compatible.

BTW, the antennae are only about 6" long.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:23 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Never messed with the programs on DX6, but when I saw all these cool screens in the DX7 article that alone was almost enough

The DX6 is more park flyer than ground based, but its being heavily marketed to the robot/battlebot community as well
Robot Magazine had a huge write up earlier this spring
http://www.botmag.com/issue2/?id=118

Last edited by Fishmaxx; 11-01-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:01 PM   #10
06 Super National Champ

Fish, you need to get out more, that BotMag article is old news

The BR6000 is the RX that's designed for bot use. Has failsafes on all channels instead of just the throttle channel like the AR6000. The radio itself is unchanged for bot use.

True, the target audience was parkflyers with the DX6, but I'm not sure they thought about multi-channel surface use...we just started adapting them to suit our needs. There's no part designation for a ground-use DX6. Unlike other TXs, the operating freq is the same. So the solution was to just call Horizon and place an order for the DX6 with the throttle channel spring loaded.

My JR 7202 has the same screens you're looking at with the DX7, but (as of now) I don't see a need with that much programming on a crawler.

The first screen is for flaps. This function might come in handy on a winch equipped rig or a 3 speed Tamiya. A flaps switch is cool 'cause it tells the servo where to go then it stops. You can program each of these stop points in that screen by % of servo travel.

The next screen is Dual Rates. Dual rates just give you two limits of servo travel at the flip of a switch. There's also some expo settings on that screen, which "softens" response at center stick.

3rd screen is throttle curve...pretty easy.

Last screen is a monitor of servo position, which shows where the servos are in thier limits of travel.

I still think I'll pick up the DX7 for my 50cc plane.

I didn't look to see if the DX7 manual was online yet, but if not...check out the 7202 manual.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 11-01-2006 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:40 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta
Fish, you need to get out more, that BotMag article is old news
Dude you need more sleep.........I said "Robot Magazine had a huge write up earlier this spring" Funny enough I think I was in the Hobby Shop to purchase a copy of RC Driver when I picked up the 1st issue of Robot magazine.

Quote:
True, the target audience was parkflyers with the DX6, but I'm not sure they thought about multi-channel surface use...we just started adapting them to suit our needs. There's no part designation for a ground-use DX6.
Yeah that seems kinda of crappy since the sell a receiver intended for ground use. BR6000 DSM DuaLink 6-Channel Bot Receiver
Obviously they intended some ground use, but didn't deliver on selling all the necessary parts to make the conversion:-(

Quote:
The first screen is for flaps. This function might come in handy on a winch equipped rig or a 3 speed Tamiya. A flaps switch is cool 'cause it tells the servo where to go then it stops. You can program each of these stop points in that screen by % of servo travel.

The next screen is Dual Rates. Dual rates just give you two limits of servo travel at the flip of a switch. There's also some expo settings on that screen, which "softens" response at center stick.

3rd screen is throttle curve...pretty easy.

Last screen is a monitor of servo position, which shows where the servos are in thier limits of travel.

I still think I'll pick up the DX7 for my 50cc plane.

I didn't look to see if the DX7 manual was online yet, but if not...check out the 7202 manual.
I just thought the screens were "PRETTY", and I could look at them when I was bored I need to read up on the DX6 to see if it has some of those screens.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:45 PM   #12
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaxx

Dude you need more sleep.........I said "Robot Magazine had a huge write up earlier this spring" Funny enough I think I was in the Hobby Shop to purchase a copy of RC Driver when I picked up the 1st issue of Robot magazine.

So true!

The BR6000 is a NEW RX. It wasn't on the market when they released the DX6.

Maybe if you order up a DX6 and tell'm it'll be for ground use they'll not only spring load the throttle channel, but also include the BR6000 RX. Can't hurt to ask.

The DX6 has none of those screens. The screen on the DX6 is like the XR/XS3.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #13
RCC Addict

i just picked up a dx7 the other day i was just wondering if anyone knows if the mod for the dx6 will work with the dx7?
brushlessnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:45 PM   #14
06 Super National Champ

Yeah, it'll work. Just need to make a new cam.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:45 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
Yeah, it'll work. Just need to make a new cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushlessnut View Post
i just picked up a dx7 the other day i was just wondering if anyone knows if the mod for the dx6 will work with the dx7?
Is the CAM the same in both? If so I have a few Stock DX6 CAMS with Springs.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:24 PM   #16
MODERHATER™

One thing I like about the DX-7 is there is a 3 postion switch for my winch!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:56 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

So, the mod to make the left stick on a DX7 self centering (sprung, whatever) - is there a list of parts somewhere that I can buy to make that easy, or am I going to have to find some radios somewhere that can be scavenged for this?
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotharyus View Post
So, the mod to make the left stick on a DX7 self centering (sprung, whatever) - is there a list of parts somewhere that I can buy to make that easy, or am I going to have to find some radios somewhere that can be scavenged for this?

Um, why? Just use the Rudder channel. No sense ruining a perfectly good heli tx.
dezertdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
One thing I like about the DX-7 is there is a 3 postion switch for my winch!
I use the flight mode toggle to control servo mixing profiles for 4WS modes, very handy!

Normal = "Manual" (Airleron front steer, Elevator rear steer)
ST1 = Crab (Aileron->Elevator +100)
ST2 = Tight (Aierlon->Elevator -100)
dezertdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:11 AM   #20
RCC Addict

I still would like to have the left stick modded on my dx-7..I was talking with a guy at the last comp and I was told you can send the radio in to jr and the will modded for you..Im not sure what the turn around time is but I think I would much rather send it into jr then to modded it my self..I have been running the radio for about 4 months now and I love it..
brushlessnut is offline   Reply With Quote