Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Thinking Of going Lipo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Thinking Of going Lipo.

I want to go with a lipo battery pack, but I don't know anything about them. I know I may need a Failsafe (whatever that is) But I need to now more about them. I need to know, do you need a specific charger for them or will a Duratrax InteliPeak work? do you need aspecific conector or will Deans conectors work? Anything else I should know about them? This is the pack i want to get, http://cheapbatterypacks.com/main.as...an=VIS&cat=V15 It's the first one.

ThanX,
Krystopher
Toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2007, 05:27 PM   #2
RCC Addict

ok you do need a lipo specifc charger, if your charger is the ice than it will charge lipo, use deans plugs they are the best anyways.YOMV, If you are running a ESC w/o a lipo cutoff than you either need a cutoff module(novak makes one) or just be careful and pay attention to when your pack starts dying. If you drop below a certain voltage u kill the pack usually. What i recommend is going to appogee's website or Thunderpowers site and research the CARE involved w/ lipo's. They are a great battery type but you must charge them w/ caution and take care of them correctly.
scatterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Toph, you saw mine today (stick bronco), here's what I got.

From Holmes Hobby I bought the hyperion charger and balancer, and from MaxAmps I bought the HV2100 3 cell liops

It's very expensive (the batteries alone are over $70 a piece) and you need to run a specific esc that cuts off when you are below a certain voltage or you need to purchase a voltage cutoff if you want to keep your esc.

Personally, I don't think they are that great. It's lighter but you could almost build another truck for the cost of the upgrade.
teamtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Will a Mamba Max esc work for the lipo's? And could you post up some links or tell me were I can get a charger for them or is this the one you were talking about, http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...0&cat=7&page=1 ? and is this the balencer you were talking about, http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...8&cat=7&page=1? And would this be a good idea to get, http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...5&cat=7&page=1 ? And what ecxactly does a balencer do?

ThanX,
Krystopher
Old 08-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Yes, that's the stuff, and the mamba max is probably the best esc out there for Lipo. The balancer makes sure each cell of the battery is holding the same charge, which is evidently important especially in lipos.

My biggest complaint is the cost versus return. I would rank a better radio, better servos and proper balancing as some of my higher and more bang for my buck investments (and I still pointed out by the 4th gate).

Also keep in mind the voltage. I actually regret getting 3 cells, I should have sacrificed wheel speed for greater control by going to a 2 cell battery and saved some money too! Also, with higher voltage, your bec on your esc will probably be worthless and you will need to purchase a castle bec or voltage regulator as well.

Tom
teamtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:52 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I have heard that lipo batteries can explode.

Is this true and what makes them explode? Is it really easy to do?
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:48 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Here is a really good thread about Lipo battery questions

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187
scatterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:12 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I'm suddenly not so fond of trying lipo. They just sound to dangerous. And after seeing that battery pack explode, I don't think I will try lipo. Thank you for all of your help.

ThanX,
Krystopher
Old 08-27-2007, 07:51 PM   #9
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Lipos are dangerous with the wrong person using them. I have never had any incedent, but just in case I use a lipo sack for transporting them. I also charge in a cinderblock. I have been using them for 4 years now. I use deans plugs.

I think they are worth it. They are lighter, the 3 cell lipo has all kinds of punch, and the runtime is great for the size. The low speed control with a mamba is awesome if you have a good finger. If you dont, you can always put a gentle curve into the throttle profile. Easy.

As for the charger and balancer, I do love the hyperion ones. They are easy to use and reliable. The quality control is also top notch.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:31 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I have wanted to go lipo for a while, after seeing the power that they generate. but I am piss scared of burning my house down. with my luck i would forget something or do something wrong, screw that. i like the old fashioned way. plug it in, press the button, forget about it till the buzzer goes off.
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:50 PM   #11
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamtom View Post

Personally, I don't think they are that great. It's lighter but you could almost build another truck for the cost of the upgrade.
Your $70 battery pack and $100 charger......can you show me how to build just half of any of my crawlers for $170? I've got nearly that in wheels and tires alone on my super

Granted,you spent your money VERY wisely. The Hyperion chargers are VERY nice and you bought a very good battery.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote