Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Gatekeeper Kit Upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2020, 08:28 PM   #1

Default Gatekeeper Kit Upgrades

Hey All,
I couldn't help myself the other day whilst I was in my local hobby shop doing a little Christmas shopping, and left with a Gatekeeper builders kit for myself I built and Enduro at the beginning of this year and it has become my favorite truck, so naturally I felt it necessary for the Gatekeeper to be in the collection as well.

My question is about the hard plastics. Obviously they make a huge difference, but when I built my Enduro, I went straight for the STRC aluminum chassis braces (servo mount, rear brace, and later the battery tray mount). I dont mind spending the extra cash to go with the aluminum braces for this build if it will make a big difference over the hard plastics. As I said, I never used the hard plastic on my Enduro, and it is rock solid with the STRC braces. Is it worth it to go with the aluminum bits for the Gatekeeper?

Planned motor/esc will be the same as I put in the Enduro, a Castle Mamba X with Slate 2280kv motor. Not sure on servo yet, put a Reefs 444 in the Enduro, cant say that I am super impressed with it. Definitely going to go with the metal spur and hubs on the trans.
RLB454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2020, 06:32 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Gatekeeper Kit Upgrades

Not in my opinion. It's just extra weight on the chassis - the hard plastics are pretty stiff. The chassis is very solid when built.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:49 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Why not just build it with the kit plastics, and give it a try? See how you like it.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 12:21 AM   #4

I'm doing exactly this right now - building a GK and I want the chassis as stiff as possible by adding the STRC bits.
-Front bumper, battery mount and rear brace are a drop in fit.
-Rear bumper won't work as it does not have a surface for the body posts. Not much need for it this close to the rear brace.
-I'd say the bumpers are optional if it's stiffness you're after yet want to keep weight in check.
-Servo tray works but needs to be modified as it interferes with the nut and bolt for the panhard plate. Material needs to be removed, see pics. I imagine it would be an easy update by STRC at some point.

Stock GK servo tray vs. STRC

Removed material with a Dremel

No other fit issues after mod.

Last edited by autorista; 12-09-2020 at 12:29 AM.
autorista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:52 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies gents! Food for thought.

@autorista
Thanks for the info and fit tips! Looks like we are on the same page to get it done right from the get go. I think I am leaning to use a good servo I have in my stash instead of buying a new one for now, and put that $$ towards the STRC bits.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:18 PM   #6

Yep as were starting from kits now is the best time to include the STRC chassis parts in the build. The one thing that would complete the package are some updated shock towers or at least a tower brace, but those are easy mods if someone makes them later.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:48 PM   #7

Got in the STRC braces, I milled out the section of the servo mount to clear the pan hard mounting hardware, thanks again Autorista for the tip

I got impatient for all the parts to get here, so I built the cage. Gotta say that I am very impressed with the quality of the design and plastics from Associated/Element. I have always been an Associated fan since the first gen RC10 I bought when they first came out. I also appreciate reading other threads on here from a few of your builds, and the tips that you put out, thanks gents!

Parts that should be here by the end of this week:
Castle Creations Mamba X and 2280KV Slate combo
Spektrum SR515 receiver
SSD "Prospect" beadlocks in bronze
Proline BFG Mud Terrains in Predator compound
Robinson hardened spur and 20t pinion
Team Associated aluminum spur hubs
Team Associated machined drive gears for the tranny

Haven't decided on a servo yet, for now just going to use one from an Arrma 1/8th scale rig I have in my stash.

I'll wait on any brass axle weights until my wallet recovers....

Probably going to paint the body panels in Gulf livery
Old 12-16-2020, 03:37 PM   #8

Nice, nice. Be interesting to compare notes later. I was able to pick up most of what I needed around Black Friday but I have a few odds and ends trickling in, some of the small things via USPS are coming in slow as you'd expect. Good one about getting the body cage done and out of the way

Gatekeeper Kit Upgrades - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gatekeeper GC-3A Comp Chassis Kit Axial THE PARTS GUY Vendors Market 2 07-30-2010 09:01 PM
Gatekeeper Designs Mini GC-3 kit Giveaway jdawg53 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 142 12-25-2009 11:22 AM