RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/element-rc-1-10-enduro-trail-truck-sendero/)
-   -   Front axle facing up – driveshaft in wrong angle (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/element-rc-1-10-enduro-trail-truck-sendero/629336-front-axle-facing-up-%96-driveshaft-wrong-angle.html)

Omsk 05-24-2022 01:29 PM

Front axle facing up – driveshaft in wrong angle

After two TRX-4’s it was time for something different, time for a Gatekeeper kit.
The build is done, but I’m not sure about the setup.

The front pumpkin is slightly facing up, making the driveshaft facing down.
I checked the length of the links and made some slight corrections, but it has no effect on the angle of the axle/pumpkin.

What could be wrong with my setup ?
According to the manual, the upper link should be 122mm, rod ends included.
Should I adjust the length of the link to correct the angle ?

HumboldtEF 05-24-2022 01:46 PM

Re: Front axle facing up – driveshaft in wrong angle

Any pics?

Are we talking angled up slightly or like a ton?

Angling them up a bit isn't a problem and I think all of my Enduro have a bit of this. I've even added a bit more angle on some.

Since its not a high pinion like and Axial rig its kind of nice for a bit of extra clearance.

EDIT: I missread that, having the driveshaft angled down is not ideal. Personally I would simply adjust the length of the links, shorten the lowers and lengthen the uppers. You can do this by using shorter or longer rod ends or cutting down the stock ones (and typically grinding down the threaded ends to allow the shorter rods to fit).

Omsk 05-24-2022 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumboldtEF (Post 6116773)
Any pics?

Are we talking angled up slightly or like a ton?

Angling them up a bit isn't a problem and I think all of my Enduro have a bit of this. I've even added a bit more angle on some.

Since its not a high pinion like and Axial rig its kind of nice for a bit of extra clearance.

EDIT: I missread that, having the driveshaft angled down is not ideal. Personally I would simply adjust the length of the links, shorten the lowers and lengthen the uppers. You can do this by using shorter or longer rod ends or cutting down the stock ones (and typically grinding down the threaded ends to allow the shorter rods to fit).

Thanks HumboldtEF!
I tried taking pictures, but couldn't get the right perspective to clearly show the problem.
I’ll try adjusting the links tomorrow.

Panther6834 05-24-2022 02:41 PM

Try sightly shortening the lower links and/or lengthening the upper links, until the driveshaft entering the pumpkin (fully compressed AND fully extended) is say the desired angle.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

islandlife 05-24-2022 03:23 PM

Might be a stupid question, but do you have the lower links in the top and vice-versa?

tigris99 05-24-2022 03:47 PM

You have the links in wrong. Either mixed up the front and the rear, top and bottom or mounted to the wrong holes in the frame/skid.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

HumboldtEF 05-24-2022 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigris99 (Post 6116790)
You have the links in wrong. Either mixed up the front and the rear, top and bottom or mounted to the wrong holes in the frame/skid.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Yeah you could have mixed the links up but you cannot mount the links in the wrong holes and have the driveshaft pointing down, it would point up.

Omsk 05-24-2022 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandlife (Post 6116784)
Might be a stupid question, but do you have the lower links in the top and vice-versa?

Not a stupid question, I double checked and they are in the right place.

Omsk 05-24-2022 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigris99 (Post 6116790)

I guess so, it’s the only explanation :shock:.
I’ll check it once again.

The front lower links should be fine – they’re the high clearance that came with the kit. The manual only shows instructions for the straight links.
I guess that the length of the links should be the same, regardless of straight or high clearance ?

Omsk 05-24-2022 10:58 PM

The front axle has two mounting points for the upper links.

According to the manual, the upper link should be connected to the frame on the drive-side.
In connected the upper link to the axle on the mounting side on the passenger-side.

Did I mix this one up ?

Omsk 05-24-2022 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omsk (Post 6116824)
Did I mix this one up ?

I probably did. :oops: :cry:

Oh man, that manual is so unclear.

Panther6834 05-24-2022 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omsk (Post 6116824)
The front axle has two mounting points for the upper links.

According to the manual, the upper link should be connected to the frame on the drive-side.

In connected the upper link to the axle on the mounting side on the passenger-side.

Did I mix this one up ?

From what you said, that sounds like you're describing a panhard link, not a front-upper link. If have to look at the manual, as, in building my GK, I installed the IFS Kit.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Omsk 05-25-2022 09:44 AM

So I changed the connection of the front upper link on the axle, from the passenger-side to the driver-side. As it would be if it was a 4-link setup (and I guess as it should have been).
The angle of the pumpkin/axle is now as it should be.

Fooled by the manual :x.
Sigh ...

B-MOW71 05-25-2022 09:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Glad to hear you have it figured out. The manual isn't really clear and if I remember right, it shows straight links instead of the high clearance links that come with the Gatekeeper Kit.

Here is a pic of how mine is for a comparison.

Attachment 400379

Omsk 05-25-2022 10:40 AM

Thanks,

That's a nice setup !