Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Tuber or body for a berg comp rig?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Tuber or body for a berg comp rig?

I have built many tubers but never competed. I just bought into the Berg era and want to start the comp scene. What I am wondering is if a tuber berg stands a chance against a low profile chassis with a body. It just seems to me there are 50 rigs with bodies to 1 tuber. Are there noticable advantages to running a body?
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

i'm going to run my berg axles with a tuber chassis, as long as you get your geo correct i don't think it would make a difference.
aaugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I love the way tube chassis' look. But I don't like them for comps. They are very unforgiving when wedged in a crevace or upside down. It is very rare to right it once flipped over without taking a 5 pt rollover penalty. Low, forgiving lexan bodies are the best choice performance wise for comps IMO.
dpdsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdsurf View Post
They are very unforgiving when wedged in a crevace or upside down. It is very rare to right it once flipped over without taking a 5 pt rollover penalty. Low, forgiving lexan bodies are the best choice performance wise for comps IMO.

It all depends on how they are designed, If you leave a lot of holes to get wedged then they will, if you have a really long flat top then it won't flip back, There is a lot more design that goes into getting a tuber right than just welding tube together and hoping it will perform well in a comp.

Its easier to get a tvp a better comp rig because theres A LOT less to deal with.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaugman View Post
It all depends on how they are designed, If you leave a lot of holes to get wedged then they will, if you have a really long flat top then it won't flip back, There is a lot more design that goes into getting a tuber right than just welding tube together and hoping it will perform well in a comp.

Its easier to get a tvp a better comp rig because theres A LOT less to deal with.
I stand by all my statements regardless of how the tuber is designed. The rules require a cockpit and the tuber to resemble a 1:1. With these rules I have witnessed the cockpit (front part that would be the windscreen area) grinding into the rock between crevaces therefore not allowing progression. Where a body bends and slides through without any problem. The best tuber (for comp use) I have seen is that delrin one someone on here is selling now.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
Team T1E/VP Driver

Like this one?

Uroplatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
RCC Addict

yeah the delrin tvp tuber is the rockshow by T1E or twenty1eleven.com

wow silas you barely beat me too it!!!!
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
Team T1E/VP Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYGOAT View Post
yeah the delrin tvp tuber is the rockshow by T1E or twenty1eleven.com

wow silas you barely beat me too it!!!!

I was looking for action shots.... Swell Seachers rig looks hot in green by the way...
Uroplatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Yep, that's the one guys I would actually consider using that one for comps.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
I stand by all my statements regardless of how the tuber is designed. The rules require a cockpit and the tuber to resemble a 1:1. With these rules I have witnessed the cockpit (front part that would be the windscreen area) grinding into the rock between crevaces therefore not allowing progression. Where a body bends and slides through without any problem. The best tuber (for comp use) I have seen is that delrin one someone on here is selling now.
I can see where you are coming from. I guess it all depends on course set-up too. I built a Campbell buggy that is awesome on the open rocks including side hilling and steep climbs but might get hung up like you said.

It still may not pass the comp rules though...it has a small roof, small hood, side plates, and meets the height and length for total tuber body, but I wonder if it would be deemed comp legal because it doesn't resemble a 1-1 vehicle like a Jeep, it does however really look like a 1-1 Campbell comp buggy. Any opinions?
Old 02-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANALLY View Post

It still may not pass the comp rules though...it has a small roof, small hood, side plates, and meets the height and length for total tuber body, but I wonder if it would be deemed comp legal because it doesn't resemble a 1-1 vehicle like a Jeep, it does however really look like a 1-1 Campbell comp buggy. Any opinions?
That works. Just needs to resemble a 1:1 comp tuber/rock buggy. And yes, I have seen very capable tubers in the open. Our comps always seam to end up having a couple of sections that are real grinders though.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:41 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
That works. Just needs to resemble a 1:1 comp tuber/rock buggy. And yes, I have seen very capable tubers in the open. Our comps always seam to end up having a couple of sections that are real grinders though.
Thanks again, I will be buying a star soon so I can start a build thread with pictures. Nothing new that hasn't been done before...just my own chassis that is a bit different. Plus, how many tubers get a thread compared to bodies and purchased chassis. Not that those aren't cool, I just really enjoy looking at home-made tubers...they look like art and show off talent that not everyone has. Don't get me wrong, painting bodies is art-full. I can't paint a lexan body to save my life...I'm a one color only painter! Either that or I buy a body that is professionally done.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:59 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'm a one color only painter! Either that or I buy a body that is professionally done.

HAHAHA me too. I still prefer tubers though.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:50 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks again, I will be buying a star soon so I can start a build thread with pictures. Nothing new that hasn't been done before...just my own chassis that is a bit different. Plus, how many tubers get a thread compared to bodies and purchased chassis. Not that those aren't cool, I just really enjoy looking at home-made tubers...they look like art and show off talent that not everyone has. Don't get me wrong, painting bodies is art-full. I can't paint a lexan body to save my life...I'm a one color only painter! Either that or I buy a body that is professionally done.
****DONT NEED TO BUY A STAR TO POST PICS****
but you do need to use something like photo bucket and load your pics there first then copy the img code and paste into your post
gadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadge View Post
****DONT NEED TO BUY A STAR TO POST PICS****
but you do need to use something like photo bucket and load your pics there first then copy the img code and paste into your post
I know, but I just assume support the place that supports my need for information. Plus, it will be easier to do the build thread that I intend on putting together.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
I can see where you are coming from. I guess it all depends on course set-up too. I built a Campbell buggy that is awesome on the open rocks including side hilling and steep climbs but might get hung up like you said.

You should be fine. This is what I run:

It's pretty stable & rolls over easily. Most prefer TVP, but I only run tubers
Crawln Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

IMO neither is intrisically better, they both have their good points and bad points. I used to compete with a TLT tuber, im not running a TVP with a body. Moslty cuz i wanted to change. Most tubers are MUCH narrower than a bodied rig, and properly designed they can squeze through the same holes as a TVP...infact often you can get by without rubbing where a body would hang you up, since they only gve way so far and then stop. As to rolling over, only a select few bodies are properly designed to allow rolling back onto your tires, anda properly built tuber will be as good if not better at the same task. But like i said ive run both and they are both equally capable, its just a matter of what you want. Also TVP's tend to be cheaper to build, since a good tuber chassis is expensive (unless you make it yourself)
nj05nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawln Coles View Post
You should be fine. This is what I run:

It's pretty stable & rolls over easily. Most prefer TVP, but I only run tubers
Don't comp rules state that you have to have a hood? or is this legal in it's own way because it resembles a 1-1 rig that never was intended to have a hood?
Old 02-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

if the 1:1 has the motor in the back then you can put a panel on the back and that would be your hood, I have a roof, side panels and a rear hatch panel

Last edited by aaugman; 02-11-2009 at 08:00 PM.