Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Formula Offroad

Notices

Thread: Hydroplaning discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Hydroplaning discussion

So I've done some searching and I haven't found a significant discussion on this yet, so I figured I'd start one. Those of you who have successfully hydroplaned your rig, what was your setup? What are some general guidelines for making a rig that will have decent performance on the water surface? Which paddles have the best bite? I'd like to eventually build a rig specifically for the purpose of hydroplaning, but I'd like to have a better understanding of the requirements before I start spending money. So...Thoughts?
Rudukai13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Hydroplaning discussion

Formula Offroad Plus Water Crossing! BWD AX-10 Conversion - YouTube

Formula Offroad R/C Driving on Water - by BWD - YouTube

12.5" wheelbase Whiplash. Panther paddles, VXL on 3s with 50/20 gearing, Losi 4" shocks internally limited to 3.7" with 30 weight oil and gold springs, neutral suspension/link settings. I've since switched to Castle 1406 4 pole/mamba max pro with the 50/20 gearing on 3s...and it's even better. A nice flat skid, smooth (but not sloppy/loose) suspension, low slung/low COG, and descent throttle control is all it takes.
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Your videos are actually what inspired me to look into starting my own project, thanks for posting the info! Let's hear from a few other people.

BWD, which (if any) diffs do you have locked on your rig? Does a hydroplaning truck need locked diffs?
Old 04-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by billet works View Post

12.5" wheelbase Whiplash. Panther paddles, VXL on 3s with 50/20 gearing, Losi 4" shocks internally limited to 3.7" with 30 weight oil and gold springs, neutral suspension/link settings. I've since switched to Castle 1406 4 pole/mamba max pro with the 50/20 gearing on 3s...and it's even better. A nice flat skid, smooth (but not sloppy/loose) suspension, low slung/low COG, and descent throttle control is all it takes.
Amazing rig and video. Question, which 50 spur are you using? 48p or 32p. I just started looking so i am wondering if i'm looking in the right direction.
Thanks
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudukai13 View Post
Your videos are actually what inspired me to look into starting my own project, thanks for posting the info! Let's hear from a few other people.

BWD, which (if any) diffs do you have locked on your rig? Does a hydroplaning truck need locked diffs?
Just thought shock, tire, power, cog, and skid info may help your build. I haven't seen many vids doing what mine does...and mine has done a lot more off camera

All locked is how mine is. I'm pretty sure I'd lose my ability to steer on the water and would be less "in control" with diffs.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelerzman View Post
Amazing rig and video. Question, which 50 spur are you using? 48p or 32p. I just started looking so i am wondering if i'm looking in the right direction.
Thanks
These are the spur gears you guys want. Spur Gears: 32P :: 32P Spur Gears Only - Kimbrough Racing Products - RC Spur Gears, Pinion Gears, Servo Savers

The Traxxas 32P-1/8 shaft pinions are just fine. I normally order them from Amain if the LHS doesn't have the size I need.

I keep every size in my box. My main beater that I take to comps with me has 50/20. My super fast whip runs 44/22.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Just thought shock, tire, power, cog, and skid info may help your build. I haven't seen many vids doing what mine does...and mine has done a lot more off camera

All locked is how mine is. I'm pretty sure I'd lose my ability to steer on the water and would be less "in control" with diffs.
No sorry I very much appreciate you getting the conversation started! I just meant to keep the info coming
Old 04-22-2012, 01:27 AM   #8
RCC Addict

my attempt

Foff goes mud bogging.wmv - YouTube

i didnt plan on trying it, and the puddle was too narrow, but that was a 5.5t 6000kv motor on 3s. 54/16 32p gearing. panther paddles. the skid plate is quite short, but a bit longer than an AX10 skid, and higher than the axles by 25mm or so.

good speed before hitting the water is important i reckon, but i was bit slow due to the muddy run up. also i assume full scoop tires like the panthers would be better than staggered tires like a sand paw.

might give it a try again sometime as i have a velineon motor. just need to find a place to try. my new foff rig might be better as it has a larger skid, but the skid is lower than the old foffer

Last edited by M1tch; 04-22-2012 at 01:29 AM.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Sorry to go off topic, but are you still running the VXL-3s with the new Castle motor?
If so what is the kv?
Are you having any issues with it "governing out" at high rpm?
I ask because I've had issues with my VXL-3s not being able to rev out a 7800kv 2-pole inrunner and a 3800 kv outrunner, but it did fine on a 7100kv 2-pole motor.
I've since found out it has a limited rpm range, so I'm curious to know how well your 4 pole Castle does.
majatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by majatra View Post
Sorry to go off topic, but are you still running the VXL-3s with the new Castle motor?
If so what is the kv?
Are you having any issues with it "governing out" at high rpm?
I ask because I've had issues with my VXL-3s not being able to rev out a 7800kv 2-pole inrunner and a 3800 kv outrunner, but it did fine on a 7100kv 2-pole motor.
I've since found out it has a limited rpm range, so I'm curious to know how well your 4 pole Castle does.
I ditched the vxl system all together. I'm running a mamba max pro now with my 4600 kv 1406 4 pole. Issue free.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

BWD, in your opinion, which is more important for sustained hydroplaning - torque or wheel speed?

Also, is there any trick to accomplishing directional control like you have in your video?
Old 04-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

in order to maintain the wheel speed u need enough torque, its not either or. i bigger motor will heip with the torque and not work so hard to do so
steveo 561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
BWD, in your opinion, which is more important for sustained hydroplaning - torque or wheel speed?

Also, is there any trick to accomplishing directional control like you have in your video?
You will need to gear middle of the road. The motor works extra hard on the water. Torque/speed is crucial, and while the vxl was sufficient for descent water time, the new castle system had enough grunt for pretty much unlimited water time. The castle system makes it so I can slow down and speed back up on the water.

As for directional control, I designed the geometry around control on extreme loose surfaces, and got lucky. It works so well now you can make a course and include a water feature to go around and actually pull it off.

Now that summer is nearing I plan some more video time, perhaps at the lake if I take my boat out.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Do you think an independent suspensioned vehicle would have a better chance of being stable enough for directional control? Or perhaps a rig using Wraith axles, that has a wider stance?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

If we could get enough people interested, I would love to see a hydroplane racing competition pop up. Maybe call it "WaterCross" or something. Have half the course on the shore of a lake and the other half on the surface of the water...
Old 04-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Full size Formula offroad has both sand and water crossings, so if there was a water crossing it would be more scale to.

Formula off road in Iceland 14 July - YouTube
jettrooper02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I'm talking about creating a competition seperate from Formula Offroad, where the hydroplaning is the central focus of the race.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

BWD.... How did you water proof your Castle electronics?
robvbro81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:25 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
I'm talking about creating a competition seperate from Formula Offroad, where the hydroplaning is the central focus of the race.
that would be awesome
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:17 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Construction of the vehicles would be relatively similar to a FOFF rig - low slung, agile, fast, big scoop tires, etc.

Would be a bit more important to make sure the rigs were waterproof though

Hydroplaning discussion - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course Building Discussion EXW Colorado 26 02-14-2011 09:49 AM
Just for discussion Culetto General Crawlers 7 11-14-2009 02:29 AM
1.9 Rules discussion Harley Missouri 29 10-21-2009 09:09 PM