Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Formula Offroad

Notices

Thread: Apples to Oranges?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Default Apples to Oranges?

Hey guys, I'm a relative newbie to RC and so far am having a blast. Especially thanks to communities like these to help me learn as I go along. I started out with Stampede 4x4 and upgraded it to a Castle 3800KV motor on 2s with the stock gears except a 9t pinion to keep heat down. That thing flies, literally on the ground and in the air.

So, then I find this community and LOVE the more scale look and crawling ability of the wraith. THEN, I find this sub category and see the speed aspect of your builds.

I just finished my Wraith kit build with stock tranny gears, RR 56t spur and 13t pinion, stock diff gears, Hobbywing 3656SD 3400KV motor and caslte MMP ESC. I'd have to say it pails in comparison to my Stampede in terms of speed. I know it needs tweaking but it got me thinking in general. Since I have no other reference than these two vehicles I am wondering what you guys with more experience have to say about that comparison and my perspective. Can a properly set up Wraith do what the Stampede does, or out perform it, or are these two totally different rigs made for different things with no business being compared?

I imagine the independent suspension on the Stampede is a plus, but in the snow the lack of true 4wd is a con. Maybe I need a Wraith for crawling and just tooling around and the Stampede for high octane bashing but seeing this section makes me wonder if that is accurate or I am just under informed?

n open discussion would be cool I think (at least it would help me!) about the pros and cons of these different set ups you all have chosen for your ride. What are the capabilities of a properly built Wraith (or other platform)? Anyone up for a conversation?

Last edited by IPT; 05-26-2014 at 02:38 PM.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Apples to Oranges?

an apple and orange are both round and both similar sized.

that said my wraith rocks on paddles running 6s
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan03 View Post
that said my wraith rocks on paddles running 6s
I 'm sure it does, but why did you choose a Wraith platform to build it? Was it the looks, the solid axels, true 4WD? I'm sure most any RC will haul on 6S but I'm trying to understand and learn about the subtleties. Pro's and cons of why you choose what you choose.No need in me making mistake after mistake learning lessons that are common knowledge on these boards.

Do you have a build thread?

Last edited by IPT; 05-26-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:39 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I'm also into planes hel is and into 1:1 rigs I've done the fast short course truck thing the 1/8 scale buggy thing so doing a crawler type rig was an easy choice for me.

I already had batteries tools and charger so I bought the kit wraith.

I could see how the decision would be hard if it was your first dive into the Rc world
Old 05-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I'm sure this is not the place for this kind of discussion, this is for Formula Offroad Vehicle thread,
Most people on this forum tend to buy what is visually apealing to them. In my case I've always wanted a Jeep JK 4 door. Knowing that I would put myself into bankruptcy building a 1:1, I decided to build an R/C version of what would be killer in my eyes. There really is no wrong way to build something if your starting out and/ or learning about these great little rigs. The more you know about your rig, the better your able to fix and or tune. Reading other peoples threads will give some ideas. Go ahead and try them on your rig and see if it fits your style, if it doesn't, no big deal. Start over. Mind you I'm not saying to throw buckets of $$$ at your rig, more of a suggestion to keep your eys open to new thoughts and ideas.

Good luck.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

My wraith is more fun than any other rc I have ever had. I have a soft spot for comp crawlers too but the wraith is my go-to rc. If it was just a crawler I wouldn't enjoy it as much and I would probably choose my hilux or a comp crawler a lot more often. The wraith is so much more than a crawler. Granted it crawls extremely well for what it is, easily better than comp crawlers did back when I first got into crawling. Its the nasty power you can put in them and the durability of the cage that make it more exciting to drive than anything else I own. I like that I can be out crawling with it, enjoying the great outdoors and when I come across a steep dirt hill or a sweet gap to jump I can pull the trigger and be rewarded with tire stretching 4s brushless power. It really does it all (admittedly nothing perfect) and looks reasonably scale doing it.

Stuff like your traxxas doesn't interest me in the least. It doesn't relate to anything in the 1:1 world so I have a hard time connecting it to something I would want but can't afford the full scale version of. Stuff like the wraith is much more relatable to 1:1. I have a 1:1 4Runner on 38.5s but I can't afford a bouncer so I have a scale bouncer. I can't afford a 1:1 mega truck so I'm building a scale mega truck.

If you haven't ran a wraith on 4s brushless power you're really missing out an one of the best times you can have with a transmitter in your hand. 25+mph with a wraith is way more fun than 40 mph with some basher that doesn't look real and handles so good that you don't have to think. 25+ with the wraith and you really have to be on your toes.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

this is my version on 3s i kinda concider this scale type power about the same wheel speed as i can get out of my 1;1 with my 350 on the nose.

my 1;1 is slow slo process tool and parts cost alot but i can do alot with what i have 1/4 eliptical and 4 link instead of thousands in coil overs. i also budget build my rc bouncer.

good luck
Old 05-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

If you haven't already seen it you might find this thread interesting: The "Official" Fastest Wraiths on RCC thread.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:43 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Mines slow :(
Old 05-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Mines slow :(
You should wrap you phone in foam and do the 6s run since you said it won't fit in the cage. I'm itching to know what it will really do. Your calculated rpm on 6s is almost the same as mine on 4s so they should have really similar top speeds. I'm interested in how they stuck up off paper.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:59 PM   #11
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelerzman View Post
I'm sure this is not the place for this kind of discussion, this is for Formula Offroad Vehicle thread,
Most people on this forum tend to buy what is visually apealing to them.

There really is no wrong way to build something if your starting out and/ or learning about these great little rigs. The more you know about your rig, the better your able to fix and or tune. Reading other peoples threads will give some ideas.

Good luck.
Actually I think it's the perfect place . I really dig the Formula Offroad thing. I want speed and power for climbing though I will be hitting more snow than sand I think the principles are similar. I also love the look of them. I do wonder (as I don't have the experience you guys do) what the difference is in the handling of a build with IFS vs and otherwise identical setup with the straight axle up front?

I've been reading a ton of threads and have learned for sure. Though I'm sure many people have valuable thoughts and knowledge that don't have threads I can read some maybe they might share here. I'd prefer to not re-invent the wheel if I don't have too. I'm all for experimentation and I'm sure I will be doing a lot of it as that's half the fun really.

Last edited by IPT; 05-28-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:23 PM   #12
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
If you haven't ran a wraith on 4s brushless power you're really missing out an one of the best times you can have with a transmitter in your hand. 25+mph with a wraith is way more fun than 40 mph with some basher that doesn't look real and handles so good that you don't have to think. 25+ with the wraith and you really have to be on your toes.
AH, thanks for sharing that. Aside from the tid bits of knowledge I'm still looking to gather this explains a lot of why this model is often used as base. I dig my basher, the speed, the control, but I am smitten now with the looks of my Wraith! Now I want it to be a monster too . Guess I want my cake and to eat it too!
Old 05-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #13
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
th

my 1;1 is slow slo process tool and parts cost alot but i can do alot with what i have 1/4 eliptical and 4 link instead of thousands in coil overs. i also budget build my rc bouncer.
1:1 look cool but I already have all my funds tied up in my street camaro . There was a day I'd want a 1:1 but the RC has filled that void for me very well .
Old 05-28-2014, 09:50 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I Aldo thought this a good place for this discussion.

I've been looking for my cable to turn two 2200 3d into 6s

Most likely won't break 30mph but would be well above 2500 watts
Old 05-28-2014, 09:52 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I had a mustang for awhile sunk some money into it then sold it ounce I realized no matter what all it can do is drive on the street
Old 11-10-2014, 11:28 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

how aboat is Castle 3800KV motor ?good?
mike_like is offline   Reply With Quote

Apples to Oranges? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you like them apples? wild bill Minnesota 7 09-21-2011 07:53 PM
AX-10 or Super? I know apples and oranges andy27012 Newbie General 5 01-25-2010 05:57 PM
Apples to Oranges ... LIPO vs NIMH - Elite 1500 2/3a info? Locked Up Electronics 1 10-10-2008 11:11 PM