Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Sawback

Notices

Thread: Leaf Spring Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Leaf Spring Question

Three springs; main spring, medium length spring and short spring. Is it ridiculous to put the medium length spring under the main spring? I want to use those two, but I hate the idea of putting the medium one on top of the main spring only to hold them together with zip ties.
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Leaf Spring Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
Three springs; main spring, medium length spring and short spring. Is it ridiculous to put the medium length spring under the main spring? I want to use those two, but I hate the idea of putting the medium one on top of the main spring only to hold them together with zip ties.
You don't have to use the zip tie. Putting the medium spring on top without the zip tie gives you a soft set up, so they say. Using the zip gives you a "Standard Type" or a medium stiff set up. I didn't like the medium spring on top with or without the zip tie. It was still too hard for me. I am using the small spring on top with the zip tie on the front axle. I like the softer effect of this set up.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have never bought into that whole thing at all. as far as I am concerned all the leafs should be under the main. they don't stop spring wrap being on top in my opinion. I have a GCM 4TEN, a TF2 and now this sawback. In my experience I use all the leafs properly ie the same as a full size and they are stiff to begin with but all of the trucks have worked in in a reasonable amount of time with good articulation and none of them have s shaped springs.
If you want softer remove a short leaf, softer still remove the longer leaf. but consider an antiwrap bar to save the springs deforming.
Also the way leaf springs work you are more likely to see damaging spring wrap with the main and the shortest on the bottom because most of the main spring has no support so it bends around the short leaf.

Having said all that.....my trucks are trail trucks not crawlers and while they do get a workout its not on a severe crawler course.
Weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapon View Post
I have never bought into that whole thing at all. as far as I am concerned all the leafs should be under the main. they don't stop spring wrap being on top in my opinion. I have a GCM 4TEN, a TF2 and now this sawback. In my experience I use all the leafs properly ie the same as a full size and they are stiff to begin with but all of the trucks have worked in in a reasonable amount of time with good articulation and none of them have s shaped springs.
If you want softer remove a short leaf, softer still remove the longer leaf. but consider an antiwrap bar to save the springs deforming.
Also the way leaf springs work you are more likely to see damaging spring wrap with the main and the shortest on the bottom because most of the main spring has no support so it bends around the short leaf.

Having said all that.....my trucks are trail trucks not crawlers and while they do get a workout its not on a severe crawler course.

Plenty of 1:1 off-road rigs use a leaf on top of the main. Often it's cut in half so that it helps prevent axle wrap but not inhibit droop as much.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the replies. I like not only the look of the medium spring on bottom, but the fact that it limits and supports the main spring without a plastic ziptie ruining the scale look. Question answered! Thanks!
Old 12-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

so the best waY to run is main on top then medium under it right ?
atf300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Are these springs the same as the tf2?
old man 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man 52 View Post
Are these springs the same as the tf2?
They look the same but I would say better quality, feel a little stouter, and much much more than the TF2 red springs in my opinion.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by atf300 View Post
so the best waY to run is main on top then medium under it right ?
That's what I'm going to do. I've been working on painting the body and covering the seats, today at work. (shhhhh)
Old 12-19-2013, 04:55 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
That's what I'm going to do. I've been working on painting the body and covering the seats, today at work. (shhhhh)
mine is still with customs , but should be here soon
atf300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by atf300 View Post
mine is still with customs , but should be here soon
I didn't know where you lived, had to look it up. Welcome.

Leaf Spring Question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
question on leaf spring scaler help mcrawlinslow 1.9 Scale Rigs 9 04-20-2013 09:18 AM
Leaf Spring Question Miller Tyme General Scale Talk 7 06-25-2009 12:14 PM
leaf spring question SnailMail General Scale Talk 9 04-04-2007 07:13 PM
assistance - LEAF SPRING Question Double J General Scale Talk 15 01-08-2007 12:08 PM
Leaf spring question Trikster General Scale Talk 10 11-16-2006 09:10 PM