Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Sawback

Notices

Thread: Sawback - Better Than SCX10?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2014, 12:37 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Sawback - Better Than SCX10?

It's definitely just as good as any SCX10. I just went through a Scale Endurance competition and I was the only leaf spring vehicle out of 57 trucks to run the course. I went everywhere they did and a few places they could not.

With a couple of minor tweaks, the Sawback is a very capable truck.

Shape_Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Sawback - Better Than SCX10?

This is one of the most fun based rigs I've owned , love it !!
steanlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:01 PM   #3

1.9 IROKS? Those are what I've been running. They work so well on the Sawback.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
1.9 IROKS? Those are what I've been running. They work so well on the Sawback.
Yep! I have lots of lead in each wheel too.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Some sweet terrain there!! Looks very challenging.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:19 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
Some sweet terrain there!! Looks very challenging.
Yeah, that spot is not far from the famous Rubicon Trail. Very similar geology - just miniature!

Did you see the video over here?:
Shape_Shifter Builds a Sawback
Old 06-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I am very happy with my sawback! Today was its first time out very happy with the performance. My sawback perform better than mine old scx-10 dingo.
espnstang25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:34 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Better than an SCX10 ?? Honestly, no, no way. If your keeping up with your buddies on the trail, it could be due to your driving abilities more than the rig.
I really like my Sawback, but as far as parts go, this thing has some problems. A really bad locker/gear design, itty bitty bearings, assembly hardware that's just garbage. The tires are pretty bad, and the foams that came with them went straight in the trash.
What I really like about this chassis is the axle width, leaf springs , and Modding parts for this truck is pretty simple. And frankly driving a leafed rig is a whole different scene compared to a 4-link. Which is why comparing the two is a little silly.... a apples and oranges kind thing.
I still love driving my Sawback.... as long as the gears hold out.
brokennib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokennib View Post
Better than an SCX10 ?? Honestly, no, no way. If your keeping up with your buddies on the trail, it could be due to your driving abilities more than the rig.
I really like my Sawback, but as far as parts go, this thing has some problems. A really bad locker/gear design, itty bitty bearings, assembly hardware that's just garbage. The tires are pretty bad, and the foams that came with them went straight in the trash.
What I really like about this chassis is the axle width, leaf springs , and Modding parts for this truck is pretty simple. And frankly driving a leafed rig is a whole different scene compared to a 4-link. Which is why comparing the two is a little silly.... a apples and oranges kind thing.
I still love driving my Sawback.... as long as the gears hold out.
I completely disagree. The only weak spot is the leaf springs. They can bend. The stock wheels are pretty good for being plastic, but I do agree that the tires and foams aren't anything special. That's no big deal because most of us change to our favorite tires anyway. Nothing else has broken on me.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

You guys will notice that I put a question mark on the end of the title of this thread.

I do disagree with brokennib's comment about the gear/locker design though. The spools in the Sawback are bulletproof and the hardware supplied is top notch. As good as or better than any Tamiya kit. Sure, socket head screws would have been nice, but I use a cordless drill to assemble mine and Phillips head drivers are easy and cheap to find.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape_Shifter View Post
You guys will notice that I put a question mark on the end of the title of this thread.

I do disagree with brokennib's comment about the gear/locker design though. The spools in the Sawback are bulletproof and the hardware supplied is top notch. As good as or better than any Tamiya kit. Sure, socket head screws would have been nice, but I use a cordless drill to assemble mine and Phillips head drivers are easy and cheap to find.
Well I disagree too ! Seriously, I'm really not trying to start a flame war-- I'm just trying to "keep it real" as they say. These are just like a lot of other rc's out there, they don't run perfect as soon as they hit the ground. They have to be tuned and modified, just like any of the other trucks out there.
I really don't have any faith in the lockers, they already have play in my sawback- and it mostly due to whatever mystery metal they're made out of. Axial's lockers also wear out, but I don't have to replace the whole gear to replace them, and I also don't have to stare at my mailbox for two weeks for the parts to arrive from South Korea.
Hopefully we can get some more aftermarket support for this truck, putting a steel locker/gear combination together would be awesome and sell well.
As far as the hardware, yeah, I just cant hang with phillips. Tamiya i think uses a better quality screw, these tend to be pretty strip-happy.
The Sawback is a fun little truck, and it has a ton of potential, alot of the other problems guys might have with it is just because it's a leaf sprung truck. That's not really a bad thing.... just different.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:10 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

My lockers have a bit of play too but nowhere near the play on my SCX10 with (roughly) the same runtime. The parts availability isn't that bad as my LHS stocks Sawbacks and parts. The leafs will bend but are easily bent back, or the whole problem is easily fixed with an anti-wrap bar. The tires aren't the best, but they do soften up and work alright.

Overall I would say they are about equal, but they really are 2 totally different trucks. Buy the Sawback for the scale looks and realistic capable performance, or the SCX10 for bling upgrades and hard crawling
jp0160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:52 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0160 View Post
Overall I would say they are about equal, but they really are 2 totally different trucks. Buy the Sawback for the scale looks and realistic capable performance, or the SCX10 for bling upgrades and hard crawling
^^^ This. All day long....

The Sawback has a full spool, not a locker. Nothing to break.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Well I disagree too ! Seriously, I'm really not trying to start a flame war-- I'm just trying to "keep it real" as they say. These are just like a lot of other rc's out there, they don't run perfect as soon as they hit the ground. They have to be tuned and modified, just like any of the other trucks out there.
I really don't have any faith in the lockers, they already have play in my sawback- and it mostly due to whatever mystery metal they're made out of. Axial's lockers also wear out, but I don't have to replace the whole gear to replace them, and I also don't have to stare at my mailbox for two weeks for the parts to arrive from South Korea.
Hopefully we can get some more aftermarket support for this truck, putting a steel locker/gear combination together would be awesome and sell well.
As far as the hardware, yeah, I just cant hang with phillips. Tamiya i think uses a better quality screw, these tend to be pretty strip-happy.
The Sawback is a fun little truck, and it has a ton of potential, alot of the other problems guys might have with it is just because it's a leaf sprung truck. That's not really a bad thing.... just different.
I don't think any of us are looking to start a flame war. We're having a good, civil discussion about two different vehicles. We're bound to have differening opinions! ;)

I think we all agree that the Sawback and SCX10 are both awesome in their own way!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:17 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
..... If your keeping up with your buddies on the trail, it could be due to your driving abilities more than the rig.
I definitely agree with this. I do have mad skills
Old 06-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape_Shifter View Post
I definitely agree with this. I do have mad skills
I know, I was at that event. You were doing just fine.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:10 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I know, I was at that event. You were doing just fine.
Were you one of the guys that pulled me back over while I was upside down?

Sawback - Better Than SCX10? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sawback Body CJ-3A SCX10 Chassis 1.9 idealconceptz 1.9 Scale Rigs 20 06-18-2014 10:03 PM
Sawback vs scx10 Jager Newbie General 21 03-26-2014 08:59 PM
Wild Willy On A Sawback [Sawback Solo Run] ifulg G-Made Sawback 1 12-24-2013 08:06 PM