Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Axles & Gears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #1

Default Axles & Gears

I have been messing around with crawling off and on, and have loved my PTI Goliath. I am getting a good deal on a second used Goliath from a friend, and have been thinking about using it to build more of a basher out of and keep my good setup for crawling. Was just wondering if anyone know whether or not the axles will hold up to running something more like a 19turn motor on it??? Also if the axles would hold up to it, what would you guys recommend for pinnion and spur sizes, i'm not looking for no speed records just something a bit faster than crawling. I have thought about running an E-maxx for bashing, but I can get this setup alot cheaper and already have a 19T motor that I can put on it, what other than the obvious this kit isnt' build for speed comments can you guys give. Only useful comments please. If I didn't already have one setup for crawling, and wasn't able to get this kick a$$ deal I wouldn't buy it and I woudl go out and get an E-maxx or something, but have loved the suspension on the Goliath so would love to continue to use it if possible. Thanks guys...and you all have some awesome setups.
bluedragon436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I have seen tc3/4's with large MM setups and the gears survive that. Just make sure everything is shimmed and adjusted. I would move your lower links and shocks out to the axle like on the 12" kit. Double triangulate all the links and loose the cants and it should make for a decent highspeed truck.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:56 PM   #3

I was actually going to purchase and install the 12" kit if I did manage to get this setup from my friend. As far as the cants what exactly is this??? I am still fairly new to the RC world. I have been playing around wiht them for years, just never really got into it like I am trying to now. Thank you for your help though jetboat...
Old 01-07-2008, 08:14 PM   #4
K_B
I wanna be Dave

"cants" is short for cantilever. The Goliath has shocks mounted parallel to the chassis rails with rocker arms and a tie-rod connecting it to the axle. Most people remove the cantilever system and connect the shocks directly to the axle for easier tuning/maintenance and better performance.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

don't worry about it the diffs are from associated tc3s. And they run hotter motors than that. Just make sure you don't over gear it. A final gear ratio of 11:1 or higher will be fine.
OGmicromonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

no need to worry about gears as long as you shim them correctly your peachy. as for punishment i seen a pti axle twist the dogbones 180 deg.
ati2de22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

HHmmm who was that lmao. I have only broke one after a year. But only after twisting the dogbones

Last edited by drc323; 01-10-2008 at 01:42 PM.
drc323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I've bent a dogbone into an S-curve before. Pretty cool actually.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I have also twisted several dogbones in the PTI. They break before the diff ever has a problem. Of course, I'm running a 55t motor. A 19t may a little rougher on the R&P gears.
Skeeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

No it won't. I've ran a tuned and dyno'd 19t in one of mine before. If geared right, it won't be a problem and still be fast.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:51 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

i run a 65t lathe with a g600 in my grc. after crawling a log pile, i twisted a dog bone in half. i split the axles apart and no damage to the r&p at all. i did lap the case halfs and it pinched the input shaft bearings ALOT better. i do plan on upgrading to the hpi sn dogbones though. if the axles survive the bigger bones, i will be impressed.
doomdog666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:13 AM   #12

Thanks guys for your help... I think I will be attempting to run the truck with the 12" extension, as well as custom motor that I have found that some people are running in their E-maxxes and such and have talked to the guy who i am getting the stuff from and he was asking waht kind of gear ratio I was looking at running as far as the spur and pinnion gear... I'm kind of baffled as to what to run... I would rather not mess up this truck... but I guess I might be better of letting it go and get an e-maxx... I love the setup and design and love the axles better than the independent suspension the E-maxxes have... What do you guys think as far as which would be a better idea... run this to play and crawl every now and again, or just let it go and go with teh E-maxx??? Also if I do keep it what ration should I run I know you guys were saying 11:1 or higher.. so what is a good tooth count for both the pinnion and spur gears??
Old 03-27-2008, 04:54 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

stay with the pti...An emaxx is a pain to convert to a crawler
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:48 PM   #14

Well like I said I only mess around with crawling every now and again... I am sort of looking for something to be more of a play toy and every once in a while crawl with it... Not sure waht I am going to do... I will most likely get a good ESC that I can run both a crawler motor and a higher motor.. with changing out the gearing of course...