Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: converting an R2 to R2D???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default converting an R2 to R2D???

What will it take... I have an R2 but would like to add the disco, can i just get the r2d replacement parts? I searched but didnt find anyone that has done it.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2008, 08:02 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Take a look at this thread:

R2+ D

This will answer your question.

When I was researching buying my R2D I ran across this.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:23 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
Take a look at this thread:

R2+ D

This will answer your question.

When I was researching buying my R2D I ran across this.
it is not as easy as that thread makes it sound. you will need to drill and tap holes to mount the disco portion. you will also need to drill and install the bushing for the disco slider. doable? probably. simple, no. I suggest you sell your unmolested r2 (once you start drilling holes it will become virtually worthless) and put that money toward a r2d. or fashion a rear drive shaft dig for way less $$

just my three cents.

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:29 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I should have specified that that thread motivated me to get the R2D prebuilt....and not try and convert a R2. But JetBoat has more skills than I do.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:32 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I had found that thread....realy didnt tell me anything though. Maybe I should say anything I didnt know already. I was hoping to maybe find someone that had done it already and had some pics of the process etc. I have shaft dig and have finally worked all the kinks out of it but, I like the clean way the r2d looks but I dont like how it mounts the motor on the backside of the transmission (part of why I went with the r2). Im just always curious about what can be done to keep my options open.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:43 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I basically did the reverse process, removing the dig unit, and it would not be too hard to add dig to a regular r2. Basically need the dig parts and output shaft, and then drill and tap the 3 holes for the dig unit to mount. Then you'd have to drill a hole for the slider bushing and press it in. You could just try to find a new sideplate so you do not have to drill all the holes, but at that point you might as well just buy a new transmission if you really want it.
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink View Post
it is not as easy as that thread makes it sound. you will need to drill and tap holes to mount the disco portion. you will also need to drill and install the bushing for the disco slider. doable? probably. simple, no. I suggest you sell your unmolested r2 (once you start drilling holes it will become virtually worthless) and put that money toward a r2d. or fashion a rear drive shaft dig for way less $$

just my three cents.

p!nK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
I basically did the reverse process, removing the dig unit, and it would not be too hard to add dig to a regular r2. Basically need the dig parts and output shaft, and then drill and tap the 3 holes for the dig unit to mount. Then you'd have to drill a hole for the slider bushing and press it in. You could just try to find a new sideplate so you do not have to drill all the holes, but at that point you might as well just buy a new transmission if you really want it.
same answer, different spin.

drilling and tapping the holes; installing the the bushing, yes all that is easy... what is hard is getting it all lined up so it operates smoothly and consistently. anyone will tell you, if you are off by the slightest amount, the disco portion will not operate as it was intended 100% of the time.

if you have someone around you with a r2d that they are willing to take apart, I am sure you could use it as a template and get the holes fairly close.

all of this goes back to the age old question.... is it all worth it?

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:18 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

xirtic....want to take your trans apart for me Im designing a new case for WK trans...maybe Ill order the parts and try it out on that first... no sense in destroying an $80 transmission.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
xirtic....want to take your trans apart for me Im designing a new case for WK trans...maybe Ill order the parts and try it out on that first... no sense in destroying an $80 transmission.

When I get back from my work trip, I will be pulling the R2D apart to install the teflon bushing kit. So if the SCRC Wrenching Day is a date when I am in town, then I actually will be tearing it apart. I know that the question was not intended to be serious, but in reality, it may be a possibility.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:00 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I say go for it,its not that hard just take youre time and use some transfer punches and center drill bits and youll get youre holes right.If you use the suoer tiny center drills you can test the alighnment and still move things around and not ruin youre case.Check it out diff. application but same concept.
RockMike's Tuber...
rockmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Saw that!!!! I was planning on trying that on my wifes WK transmission when I pull it for the clocked motor plate. I need to that post so I can make sure I know how it was done.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:33 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I don't want to take this thread somewhere else but I am wondering, if the 2 speed R2 and the Disco kit (or an R2 2sp and an R2D) could be combined. It would prob require 2 servos but you would have a 2 sp tranny and a dig all in one. you would still need a 4 channel tx/rx.
HaSharetz is offline   Reply With Quote