Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: VF Dig smoothness question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008, 09:15 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default VF Dig smoothness question

How smooth should the VF dig operate? I've got mine together and it seems stiffer than it ought to be. The servo can move it no problem, but there is some flex in the threaded part of the linkage. Is this normal? Any tips to make this thing like buttah?
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Snerd........your a nerd.

Why'd you start a new thread on basicaly the same question.
BigRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Last one was a general question about what problems people were seeing. This one is about a specific problem I think I'm having, and seeing what the resolution might be.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

both mine and my dads were a bit stiff. Mine broke in after cycling it a bunch of times and now runs pretty smooth. My dads took some sanding and polishing, but now runs much smoother.
nj05nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:12 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Mine after some tweaking was very very smooth. The only thing making it stiff was the thicker grease I chose.

I'd polish things up to be safe.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:03 PM   #6
RCC Addict

like a big stick a budduah.

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Try moving your linkage behind the servo horn. That took all the flex out of my linkage and now it works like butta.
hellbentrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink View Post
like a big stick a budduah.

p!nK
Or Bacon grease....mmmm Bacon.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:47 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I took some 1000 grit wet/dry to the brass shaft and the steel one - now it's butter smooth.
Yawzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:42 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I thought I'd done a good job installing mine, it worked great. Then I was down visiting at VF and Brock re-did mine......now it's just insanly smooth, I can't even begin to explain.

Point is.....mine was instal error and it still worked well. When installed right they work perfectly.....like.......well I'll leave that to imagination.

Edit....answer to question. When you instal the threaded part of linkage make sure it's together and well inline before tightening.

Also pull it back apart and make sure you got the front shaft seated very well in the gear. It will kinda click into place, it's easy to think it's straight and have it slightly cockeye'd in the gear(it will stay this way when you tighten it so make sure it's right before installing screw's.)

Last edited by H3RESQ; 04-26-2008 at 03:44 PM.
H3RESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:47 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I just put mine together the first time and it was un shift-able I took it apart and re assembled and checked everything and it was better but I wouldn't call it smooth it moves in and out stiffly. I'd love to know what they did at the VF shop? I'm on hold till I can get this thing is working better.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 04-26-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:01 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I have the sam problem as stormin, it is smooth at some points in the rotation but it suddenly gets hard to turn at other points.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I'm running a aftermarket aluminum tranny case that fits well IMO and I've been threw the out drives they are perfect. Bolts aren't overly tight.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:13 AM   #14

Sand down the diameter of the brass pin coming out of the outdrive significantly (not the brass pin in the case). Take a good .010in of material off of it all the way across the pin. Then make sure you only snug the bolts going through the dig case and into the motor plate (use locktite) and you will bee all set. We have since opened up the pilot hole in the dig outdrive .005in so it is not as picky about alignment and binding. If you put your dig in neutral and spin it and you can feel a drag halfway through the rotation (only when it's bolted to the tranny) this is your problem. Keep sanding down the diameter until it works perfect or e-mail me for a replacement dig outdrive with the new larger hole size for the brass pin. It should slide in and out just as smooth as when you don't have the dig bolted to the tranny. An easy way to sand it down is to chuck the other side of the outdrive in a drill and spin it as you squeeze some 100 grit or so sandpaper on the brass pin until you have taken off a significant amount of material. Please trust me on this, all of you that have shipped your binding dig units to me with your trans attached this has been the problem every time.
BT@VF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:36 AM   #15
Web Wheeling

I am guessing that the fitment issues are due to the anodizing on the parts, and increased thickness.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R View Post
I am guessing that the fitment issues are due to the anodizing on the parts, and increased thickness.
Nah the anodizing is less than .001in in the guide hole and the hole is .004 larger than the pin, it is mostly due to pin wobble for multiple reasons and the larger hole size just makes the unit more forgiving to the case being off center, the outrive not perfectly seated in the gear or a few other assembly/machining issues.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT@VF View Post
Sand down the diameter of the brass pin coming out of the outdrive significantly (not the brass pin in the case). Take a good .010in of material off of it all the way across the pin. Then make sure you only snug the bolts going through the dig case and into the motor plate (use locktite) and you will bee all set. We have since opened up the pilot hole in the dig outdrive .005in so it is not as picky about alignment and binding. If you put your dig in neutral and spin it and you can feel a drag halfway through the rotation (only when it's bolted to the tranny) this is your problem. Keep sanding down the diameter until it works perfect or e-mail me for a replacement dig outdrive with the new larger hole size for the brass pin. It should slide in and out just as smooth as when you don't have the dig bolted to the tranny. An easy way to sand it down is to chuck the other side of the outdrive in a drill and spin it as you squeeze some 100 grit or so sandpaper on the brass pin until you have taken off a significant amount of material. Please trust me on this, all of you that have shipped your binding dig units to me with your trans attached this has been the problem every time.

That fixed mine and I haven't burned up a single servo!!!
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:18 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Hey BT, thanks for the instructions I'm going to disasemble and try to smooth out my dig. It seems to be a random problem not every dig experianced?
Old 04-27-2008, 05:33 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Brock-I appreciate your chiming in on this. I've only heard good things about the customer service from VF, and thats been my experience so far.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Hey BT, thanks for the instructions I'm going to disasemble and try to smooth out my dig. It seems to be a random problem not every dig experianced?
Yes, the ones that I install myself rarely need this mod, but I measure each piece with calipers in a few places to make sure everything lines up perfectly. The unit just had to be made more "end user friendly" and it is now. Like anything else you got to work out the small bugs over time.

Quote:
Brock-I appreciate your chiming in on this. I've only heard good things about the customer service from VF, and thats been my experience so far.
Thanks a lot, we are trying our best although I must admit it was a little overwhelming at first. I think the monster is now under control and you should see things really come together over the next few weeks, we did have to grow our r/c division pretty fast......Okay REALLY fast.