Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: RC4WD R2D tranny

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default RC4WD R2D tranny

Well i would have to say i am officially defeated, i have tried to get my dig to work forever now and at this point in the game where its not that big of a deal for me and not worth the trouble it is causing me. The question i have is can i take the dig off the tranny and be able to plug the drive shaft on and be good to go? or do i have to get a new drive line for the tranny to have the proper length for the drive shaft to connect too?
Indiglo5997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2008, 12:08 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You could probably find a way to leave the linkage connected to the tranny but leave it to where it is locked in 4WD.......if thats what your asking.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:05 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Keep the r2D tranny in 4WD for now until you are able to purchase an axial tranny with a DNA dig. Here is my set-UP: simple yet effective......
Da Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:33 AM   #4
On the lookout for Rocks

The R2D is kinda finiky....everything has to be just right for it to work smoothly but it's a great tranny.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
You could probably find a way to leave the linkage connected to the tranny but leave it to where it is locked in 4WD.......if thats what your asking.

Ya i want to keep it in 4WD all the time and i would just leave it the way it is right now with the servo just holding the linkage together and having it stay in 4WD, but i want to dump the servo and linkage. The dig on the tranny is of balance and so when i get to higher RPM it shakes the shit out of my rig due to it being out of whack, that and i don't want to mess with it anymore. So minus having the dig on there and leaving it in 4WD, after removing it would i be forced to need a new output shaft?
Old 09-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Add a ball point pen spring inside the dig over the centering pin to apply pressure to keep it in 4wd so you dont need external linkage. Or you can make a spacer to put on the shaft that slides to keep the cog from moving. The spacer will probably add friction to the drive line so the spring idea is a better option.
j33pownr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33pownr View Post
Add a ball point pen spring inside the dig over the centering pin to apply pressure to keep it in 4wd so you dont need external linkage. Or you can make a spacer to put on the shaft that slides to keep the cog from moving. The spacer will probably add friction to the drive line so the spring idea is a better option.

Ya i was thinking about that but the problem is the dig is off balance for some reason i think it is because of the little clip that is connected to the collar of the disconnect shaft make it spin uneven and it shakes like hell, so even if i slap a spring in there it still wont totally fix it thus the reason i want to dump it altogether
Old 09-17-2008, 02:06 PM   #8

Default R2d

I had the same problem with my trans. The problem is the disconnect shaft were it is cut to go over the trans output is off center. I used the cutting wheel on my dremal to shave the side of the disconnect until there was no bind on the trans output. I'm talking about the large side of the disconnect shaft that has the 2 half moon shapes. One half moon is bigger than the other. I also replaced the brass bushings with Rocksmith bushings. I also used a small file to smooth the transition to the locked rear position. Everthing now works with no problem. Sorry so long and hope it helps.
BDM34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

contact RC4WD, and tell them the issue. ive dealt with their customer service. they were really cool about everything, and helped me out.

i love my R2D and wouldnt trade it for anything else
BuzzKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:03 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Ya i love the tranny to its great, just the dig is driving me crazy. And i am to the point now where i dont even want to mess with the dig and smooth it and shape the shaft etc etc i just want it gone but i guess without a new output shaft the is no way of removing the dig and getting it to work
Old 09-18-2008, 04:34 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

We just contacted one of our test team guy who has 2 of the R2D, there will be a slight binding issue initially, but it will wear in as you drive it.
You can contact us to get a free replacement or send it back for refund.
We will continue look at this once our day time team get to work

Last edited by rc4wd; 09-18-2008 at 04:48 AM.
rc4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:12 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4wd View Post
We just contacted one of our test team guy who has 2 of the R2D, there will be a slight binding issue initially, but it will wear in as you drive it.

Oh don't get me wrong i love the tranny and the dig is great, it's just with the collar on the shaft it creates to much torque and bends the shaft which stops it from working. I at this point don't do comps and don't really want a dig for what i do so i just want to take it off. But if i get a short shaft can i remove the dig and install the short shaft and be good to go?
Old 09-24-2008, 11:06 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4wd View Post
Wow, thats awesome that you replied at 3am. Plus are willing to give him a refund. I didn't know the RC industry knew that word. Great job RC4WD. I am impressed.

Also, I'm running one of you R2D trannies in my new comp rig with great success. Though the bushings are starting to wear, but not having it adjusted correctly at first would cause wear I'm guessing.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:15 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Well i took off my Dig and put a short shaft in that baby and she runs like a champ! I am very happy know, maybe farther down the road i will look back into a dig