Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: berg or HR moa's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default berg or HR moa's

Which are better ? I am thinking about building a MOA powered rig Just not sure what axles to use.
broncoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I have both and have been running the OCM/Bergs sence 5/2008 . The only broken parts include 3 stubs and 1 bearing .

I have been running the HR Axles for 2 weeks . Broken parts include 1 intershaft ,another twisted intershaft & both clear gear covers . I replaced the broken/twisted intershafts with Bergs . I did have to mod them to make them work .

Plus side of the OCM/Bergs the parts seem to be machine better .The parts fit much tighter . The intershafts are much better (harder) .

Down side of the OCM/Bergs parts are not real easy to get . They are wide you will need OCM/Berg offset wheels .

Plus side to the HR MOAs you can use the wheels you have . Also you can use you stubs, hubs and bearings that you have . Parts are easy to get .

Down side of the HR MOAs so far the intershafts seem soft (twist and break easy).
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncoholic View Post
Which are better ? I am thinking about building a MOA powered rig Just not sure what axles to use.
You beat me to it, i was just thinking about the same thing. If the interaxles are weak, and you know this going in, that can be an easy upgrade to the berg's while everything is still off the chassis.
bigwill5686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badd View Post
I have both and have been running the OCM/Bergs sence 5/2008 . The only broken parts include 3 stubs and 1 bearing .

I have been running the HR Axles for 2 weeks . Broken parts include 1 intershaft ,another twisted intershaft & both clear gear covers . I replaced the broken/twisted intershafts with Bergs . I did have to mod them to make them work .

Plus side of the OCM/Bergs the parts seem to be machine better .The parts fit much tighter . The intershafts are much better (harder) .

Down side of the OCM/Bergs parts are not real easy to get . They are wide you will need OCM/Berg offset wheels .

Plus side to the HR MOAs you can use the wheels you have . Also you can use you stubs, hubs and bearings that you have . Parts are easy to get .

Down side of the HR MOAs so far the intershafts seem soft (twist and break easy).
i agree 100% i did the same with my hr moa's . first i twisted an inner axle then replaced it with moded berg inners and berg spools. thay seem to be good now . no problems for over a month.
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

x3 on the Berg spools and shafts, ***must do mod***. The HR's have been good to me but the Berg's would have been cheaper since I didnt have an axial sitting around to steal the stubs/knuckles from.
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

X4 I'd buy the Bergs and get some inset wheels. I think there is a beadlock out now that will bring the bergs to the same width as an Axial.

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=1510

I'm not sure, but I think this will do it.

Last edited by Spucknit; 12-11-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Spucknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:41 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Do the berg axles come with link mounting points?
Old 12-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #8
RCC Addict

do the bully's...great customer support, parts will be available, and I personally was a tester and beat the hell out of them (4s lipo, hh35thandwounds and hot bodies 5.5 inch tires with loaded vanquish dh revolvers)...you wont be disappointed

http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=846
jeeper_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Do the berg axles come with link mounting points?
yes both uppers and lowers
Old 12-11-2008, 10:30 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
yes both uppers and lowers

thanks
Old 12-11-2008, 10:43 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
thanks
no problem
here is a link to my HR MOA build
Badd's MOA/DoubleD Chassis build
& a link to my OCM/Berg build
Time 2 Play the Game (Badd's OCM)
you can find alot of answers to question you might have on either type axles in these threads .
Old 12-11-2008, 11:36 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper_05 View Post
do the bully's...great customer support, parts will be available, and I personally was a tester and beat the hell out of them (4s lipo, hh35thandwounds and hot bodies 5.5 inch tires with loaded vanquish dh revolvers)...you wont be disappointed

http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=846

thats what i'm talkin about!
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:59 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Bergs with the correct wheel will have the smallest scrub radius.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Very well put. I have done the same mods to mine as well.

I like the HR's because you still have more adjustability. The lower link mounts can be adjusted, wider hexes can be used to adjust track etc.

I think the HR's edge out the Bergs by a little in my opinion.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:51 AM   #15
'08 2.2 National Champ

I'd say bergs. Once you replace the stub axles they are nearly indestructable. Yeah, it's not as easy to find wheels in a hobby shop but there are at least 5 vendors on this site who make wheels for them, Mayhem, CAC, DNA, Eritex, Vanquish, and I could be fogetting some. I've had wheels from all of them and they are all very good.

I use to have an Axial rig along with my Berg rig, when I would drive it the steering scrub was noticable and I can say after driving the Berg I hated the steering scrub of the wider offset wheels on the axial. But maybe I'm more picky than some.

Plus, the servo mount is much better on the bergs in my opinion.

Last edited by Just Zach; 12-12-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote