RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   savage shocks (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/157811-savage-shocks.html)

TBex 01-30-2009 12:05 PM

savage shocks

Do they work good on crawlers? My crawler sits a little low so I was thinking about going with either the 6 3/4 or or 5 3/4 savage shocks to raise it up. Im 3" under chassis ground clearance and Im at 17" wheelbase so I was thinking somewhere around 5" ground clearance is where I should be? My shocks right now are 4" eye to eye.

Reflection 01-30-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBex (Post 1591225)
Do they work good on crawlers? My crawler sits a little low so I was thinking about going with either the 6 3/4 or or 5 3/4 savage shocks to raise it up. Im 3" under chassis ground clearance and Im at 17" wheelbase so I was thinking somewhere around 5" ground clearance is where I should be? My shocks right now are 4" eye to eye.

Your ground clearence sounds about right to me. 5" under the belly would be way to high.:lol: A shock around 4" long is all you really need. Savage shocks are WAY to long.

TBex 01-30-2009 12:23 PM

Yeah the center of gravity on it is unbelieveable but the way I mounted my shocks I only have about 45 - 50* of art. so I was gonna try killin 2 with 1 but if it sounds like an alright g.c number then I will just mess with my shock locations a little to get a little more flex out of it

Reflection 01-30-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBex (Post 1591269)
but the way I mounted my shocks I only have about 45 - 50* of art.

Thats allot.:lol: Why do you want more? Believe it or not,less is better. Lots of articulation is for shelf queens.:lol:

TBex 01-30-2009 12:59 PM

Ive just always heard that 60-70 is what to shoot for flex wise

dieselfuel 01-30-2009 08:42 PM

a few yrs ago maybe. really 40-50degrees is about perfect.

SUPERINVA 01-30-2009 09:03 PM

I use T Maxx shocks. They're about 5" long eye to eye, and give me about 60 to 70 degrees of articulation. My setup works great.

TBex 01-30-2009 09:40 PM

Im using tmaxx shocks now but ive got my shocks mounted almost at the wheel hub at the bottom and the tops are mounted a half inch in and an inch back so I got decent flex, great stability, and all the shock and spring pressure is pushing down right at the tires. Yea it goes great but I just wanted to check in with some of the more advanced guys on wheather it needed more flex and/or more ground clearance. I know some super class guys are at 5" GC and I was wondering if it was worth the trouble becuase I know it would raise the COG

Espeefan 01-30-2009 10:07 PM

I've got about 5" belly clearance on my super, as well, but the tires play a role in that too. I've got Moab XLs, which is pretty much the norm, or so it seems. I haven't run my crawler on the rocks yet (snow on the ground) but I think I like the extra clearance because it should give a lot better break-over angle, especially combined with a droop suspension. It would be nice if the thing could climb a flight of stairs, or those shear vertical, sharp edged rock faces.

TBex 01-30-2009 10:23 PM

Im on moab XLs also , if I went with savage shocks I planned on using them half droop. Im still using one of the first crawler chassis available, the Gecko, but all thats left of it is the center section so I didnt want to raise it so high I couldnt do offcamber very well.