Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: crawler opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 07:44 PM   #1

Default crawler opinions

I am going to get a crawler my my 14 year old son for his birthday.I have the axial artr and was thinkin the rtr or the losi mrc,both based on price.Looking to spend about $300 cdn.
What i want is your opinions on which would be better and why and if i missed one make mention of it please but i dont want to get the artr due to the price.He can upgrade as he needs.

thanks
JoeDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Why not get the ax10 kit, help him build it and learn about it. He'll appreciate it more than an rtr. The kits can be had for around $210, leaving some room for electronics and whatever. Maybe some other gifts could be the electronics or some tires from other family, if they want to support his new hobby.

Just my $ .02

Last edited by DeaDShorT; 03-18-2009 at 07:54 PM.
DeaDShorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaDShorT View Post
Why not get the ax10 kit, help him build it and learn about it. He'll appreciate it more than an rtr. The kits can be had for around $210, leaving some room for electronics and whatever. Maybe some other gifts could be the electronics or some tires from other family, if they want to support his new hobby.

Just my $ .02

I like this idea. He will probably treasure the time building the crawler with you more than the actual crawler.
xjman349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

If you're going on price the kit might get out of range by the time you get electronics and everything needed. Between the two you've mentioned, I would suggest going with the RTR personally. That way you can share parts between your rig and his, and at times when you upgrade yours you can just buy two of what you're getting and put that part on his as well. If you decide to change the colors of your links and everything you could pass your aluminum parts on to him to make his better, and that would save you money while upgrading both rigs. Then anything you've taken off you can save as spares and they will work on both rigs. You'll be running the same size tires and everything that can be swapped around to see how they effect each rig, and also if you get into comps you can both be running in the same class. This is actually the sort of thing me and my dad did way back when I was a kid and first got into the hobby. Price wise I think it will work out best both short term and long term, and you can enjoy upgrading both of your rigs together with the same type of parts, or maybe one of you going a different way on things to see what works better.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:50 PM   #5

That makes a lot of sense actually,thanks.
JoeDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSCOTT View Post
If you're going on price the kit might get out of range by the time you get electronics and everything needed. Between the two you've mentioned, I would suggest going with the RTR personally. That way you can share parts between your rig and his, and at times when you upgrade yours you can just buy two of what you're getting and put that part on his as well. If you decide to change the colors of your links and everything you could pass your aluminum parts on to him to make his better, and that would save you money while upgrading both rigs. Then anything you've taken off you can save as spares and they will work on both rigs. You'll be running the same size tires and everything that can be swapped around to see how they effect each rig, and also if you get into comps you can both be running in the same class. This is actually the sort of thing me and my dad did way back when I was a kid and first got into the hobby. Price wise I think it will work out best both short term and long term, and you can enjoy upgrading both of your rigs together with the same type of parts, or maybe one of you going a different way on things to see what works better.
Yup, that is the way I did it with my kids
I had an AX10 kit truck, got them the RTR for B-days, now we all share parts and hop ups They love 'em, and we have lots of spares for all the trucks.
durango#95 is offline   Reply With Quote