RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   droop for a trail rig? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/179171-droop-trail-rig.html)

gooba 05-18-2009 10:09 PM

droop for a trail rig?

I have a quick question/idea i want to run by you guys. i run full droop on my crawler and i mainly crawl but my gf is more into speed and playing in the mud and what not and my favorite trail spot is about to be reopened with new hillclimbs,rocks and mudholes.so my question is can a droop rig trail ride like a spring rig? i know i dont have the ground clearence she does but i have more motor and a heavy finger but will the droop handle speed and some bumps and jumps? has anyone used a droop rig to rock race or maybe run an obstacle course? Or does anyone have tips or advice for me?

STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER 05-19-2009 09:22 AM

i'd say for a trail rig, go with a sprung set up.

DBR 05-19-2009 10:24 AM

The problem I see with a droop setup for speed and jumping is there is not much in the way of dampening. A spring setup up can absorb a lot of the impact associated with higher speeds and jumping.

Unless your link geometry has drastically changed with your droop setup, I would get an inexpensive set of coil overs and swap them out when you want to run with your GF."thumbsup"

xirtic 05-19-2009 10:28 AM

I was running droop on my Scale/Trail rig, and was not happy with the feel/response. I find droop to be slow....and better for crawling. I still run droop on my comp rig. But for my trail rig, I have switched to sprung.

Big Mike 05-19-2009 10:51 AM

Where do y'all find these girls who are actually into R/C??

Vs. thinking you're a dorky nerd for being into R/C like every girl I've ever been involved with??

I'd sure like to find one.

You're probably looking at changing shocks for trail work, or coming up with a hybrid setup that has some spring to it. Droop setups do not have any bump absorbing qualities at speed.

Droop sort of works the opposite of what we commonly think of in off-road suspension...

nascarkeith 05-19-2009 11:36 AM

I have driven a droop rig fast. They don't really handle that good. Too much bouncing around. Split the difference. Run a half droop set up that way you have a little spring to dampen the bumps.

sandblaster87 05-19-2009 11:50 AM

im running droop on my trail rig..

thehopping1 05-19-2009 12:59 PM

In my experiences, they don't handle turns very well. The shocks like to unload and it gets kinda tippy. Some day I'm going to try internal and external spring working against each other, to see how that works.

jamison31 05-19-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Mike (Post 1802053)
Where do y'all find these girls who are actually into R/C??

Vs. thinking you're a dorky nerd for being into R/C like every girl I've ever been involved with??

I'd sure like to find one.

You're probably looking at changing shocks for trail work, or coming up with a hybrid setup that has some spring to it. Droop setups do not have any bump absorbing qualities at speed.

Droop sort of works the opposite of what we commonly think of in off-road suspension...

lol...My Wife sure hates My hobby.:-( but I think it`s the money thing.:roll: I have a full droop on a tuber and I would be scared $h!tL3$$ to run it fast.

gooba 05-19-2009 08:55 PM

I just got lucky and found a girl that wants to hang out with me even if it is playing with rcs. And i may have been slightly misunderstood when i mentioned speed and jumps i mainly meant bumping the truck over logs and out of holes but like i said i have a heavy finger so 4 tires off the ground wont be uncommon im guess ill just try both setups and see what works best.

josh97 05-19-2009 09:50 PM

doesnt the x trail kit come with the parts to run droop? its a scaler..

durango#95 05-20-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nascarkeith (Post 1802120)
I have driven a droop rig fast. They don't really handle that good. Too much bouncing around. Split the difference. Run a half droop set up that way you have a little spring to dampen the bumps.

X2
I would pick up a set used shocks here, and set them up 50/50 style and put them on when you want to go a little faster. 50/50 (semi droop, 1/2 sprung, what ever you want to call it) works GREAT for a trail rig that will see a bit more speed than a comp rig. Or for that matter, depending on your current droop set up, just put a set of med. external springs on the shocks that you are running now when you want to go faster.

gooba 05-20-2009 08:58 PM

yeah i think im just gonna throw some springs on it to trail ride and droop for crawling. i may experiment with 50/50 though cause i like to tinker.