RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   R2 2 speed RC4wd tranny DIG (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/189084-r2-2-speed-rc4wd-tranny-dig.html)

toy4crawlin 07-15-2009 12:34 AM

R2 2 speed RC4wd tranny DIG

1 Attachment(s)
i hope these R2's are doing better so I can have one again.

How are these trannies holding up to large scale with big motors ? or 2.2 with cobalt motor

I had one that lasted 3 feet with a 55t on 8 cell nhmi and a 11lb super with heavy drag brake.
Maybe I just got a bad one
I would really like a 2 speed and the new 2 speed with DIG would gain me 2wd front 2wd rear , 4wd hi low and front and rear dig in my setup.

List what you have:
R2 2speed with DIG
or Just a 2 Speed
So I would like to hear some feedback of your rig, weight, ESC battery, motor ?

Thank u

toy4crawlin 07-15-2009 02:36 PM

gota be somebody with feedback

BigSki 07-16-2009 06:36 PM

I can tell you what happened to my R2 HD when I used a 500 Cobalt motor and a 3s LiPo. ( 10 lb scaler with TLT axles)

It lasted about 5 minutes of full throttle running. The bearings were toast and the 32P gears were almost melted. The gearbox was so hot I couldn't touch it.

Forget about running any serious through these gear boxes, they just aren't up to the task. A stock plastic AX-10 tranny will last a lot longer.

My opinion is, the issue is with the gear pitch rc4wd uses in the trannies. You need at least a 48P gear, but a 64P gear would be ideal for big power.

killswitch 07-16-2009 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSki (Post 1895797)
The bearings were toast and the 32P gears were almost melted. The gearbox was so hot I couldn't touch it.

Forget about running any serious through these gear boxes, they just aren't up to the task. A stock plastic AX-10 tranny will last a lot longer.

My opinion is, the issue is with the gear pitch rc4wd uses in the trannies. You need at least a 48P gear, but a 64P gear would be ideal for big power.

48p and 64p gears are finer than 32p... 64p is not crawler friendly. Its way too fine to run on a crawler and its strictly for onroad use only.

toy4crawlin 07-16-2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

I can tell you what happened to my R2 HD when I used a 500 Cobalt motor and a 3s LiPo. ( 10 lb scaler with TLT axles)

It lasted about 5 minutes of full throttle running. The bearings were toast and the 32P gears were almost melted. The gearbox was so hot I couldn't touch it.

Thank you very much for feedback, I asked rc4wd and they said it would hold up fine., which I doubt because my first 2 speed broke the first 3 feet on flat ground crawling slow on a 55t 9.6 volts

Can you tell me what speed you were running ?

Did they refund you, what happend ?

Strength is Mod 1 gear "thumbsup" 32p are you kidding

sloppy 07-17-2009 12:35 AM

Quote:

64P are you serious? do you have any idea what you are talking about? :shock: how bout you go get a 64p spur/pinion and put it on you axial tranny let us know how many feet you get with that before the spur is gone..

toy4crawlin 07-17-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Did you leave a little play in the pinion gear mesh or did you make it tight ?

BigSki 07-17-2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toy4crawlin (Post 1896107)
Thank you very much for feedback, I asked rc4wd and they said it would hold up fine., which I doubt because my first 2 speed broke the first 3 feet on flat ground crawling slow on a 55t 9.6 volts

Can you tell me what speed you were running ?

Did they refund you, what happend ?

Strength is Mod 1 gear "thumbsup" 32p are you kidding

I was using a 18t pinion on the cobalt 500 to get some wheel speed. I have no idea how fast it was in M.P.H, but I had to run to keep up with it.

I just purchased a rebuild kit to fix it.

mod 1 is decent, mod.8 is equal to a 32P gear.