Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 4WS???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2004, 01:31 AM   #1

Default 4WS???

Hey all, I'm new to this forum and crawling. Only bought a Clod about 10 hours ago after browsing this site for about a day and deciding I would get one. I have always been interested in them.

Any way I'm gonna do some mods to it which are really needed as it is used and totally stock. Get links put on and custom chassis etc.

Anyway my question is about 4 wheel steering...is it better for crawling? Or a more individual opion...what would you prefer for a clod that is only gonna be crawled? Is there disadvantages of using/keeping it or am I better off to keep/make it 4WS?

Thanks
superfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2004, 03:57 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: 4WS???

I like the 4 way steer for stability, You can put the rear tires were you need them to make an obstical too. Also when locked up front and rear the trucks don't like to turn as sharp as when the diffs were open so the 4 way comes in really handy for that porpuse too.
DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 05:56 AM   #3

Hi!
My Flexx-Maxx has a wheelbase of 44cm (17,32 inch) and two locked diffs. With 4ws the 360°-turn is shorter than this one of a stock E-Maxx...
Same at my TLT-1: Locked diffs and 4ws. Even with this short wheelbase the 4ws ist better because the locked diffs the turning ability is not very good...

In other words: For crawling the 4ws is the nonplusultra...

Manuel
Uncle_Manuel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 07:16 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

There's different ways to implement 4ws too. Have it tied in with the front servo, and have it all the time, have a switch to turn the rear steer left, center or right, or have a two stick radio with full time independant 4ws, which is the way I'm going.
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 06:23 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

just save yourself the future aggrivation and get a good 4-6 channel radio with servo mixing and a sprung throttle channel. You will wonder how you got by with generic 4ws after you set it up for independent 4ws
Krod_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 07:04 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

There are a few good 3ch wheel radios that can be set up to have heaps of different types of mixes of ind. 4ws as well. I also agree that independant 4ws is the way to go, best mod you could do.
TXTFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 10:48 PM   #7

Okay so 4WS is the way to go for climbing. I'm sort of getting the idea of independant 4WS....you can either steer the front but not both at once? How exactly does that benifit you when crawling? Do you steer your front one way then switch to the rear steering and put it different angle to pull up a nice wedge between rocks?

Sorry but bit new to this concept.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:07 PM   #8

Futaba makes a 4 channel radio (t4vwd attack) that work great for 4ws. You have full control of the front and rear steer. You can turn the front or rear any amount any time so it allows you the turn both to the right and crab crawl to the right or both to the left and crab to the left. Or you can turn the opposite directions to make a tight left or right turn. Its also good when the rear of the truck gets to a point where it won't make it over a ledge, I just start turning the rear right and left and it will usually grab and pull it over. Look on tower hobbies for the radio its' about $120.
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 01:51 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Independant 4ws give an amazing amount of control and monuverability (however the hell it's spelt ) Off my Hitec agressor CRX I can have standard 4ws, Crab steer, Front only, Rear only or rear held to either side while still steering with the front. All except the last one works through the wheel by using pre programmed models and switching between them. Being able to operate the rear separately means you can get a much more favourable line through an obsticle and allow the wheels to climb it at the best angle for example if you want to climb up steps you need to go diagonal so you you dont high centre on the peak but you also need to turn into the step so it doesn't slide sideways along it so by lining up at the best angle and then crab steering both wheels into to step you will clamber straight up like a spider. This is just one simple example of how you can use it but I use it all the time. The CRX is about $300 in Aus which is about mid range for a radio, I don't really know what the conversion rate would be. There is also a few threads on 3 Channel radios here too just put in a search.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:15 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

This is the radio I just ordered. 6 channel, FM, 4 channel mixing, 75mhz, dual rate, EPA, ATV and only $18 more than the Futaba 4VWD.
There's a decent write-up of it's features here.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:38 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I have the 4vwd.......... I like it , but it is very basic. Once you get yours I would like to ask you a few questions about How you set it up.
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 09:49 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

How are six channels crammed into those things? I get the forward/reverse and right/left makes up four (I think), does the sixth come into play when you move it diagonal or something?
dabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 10:53 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

5th channel is a switch, 6th is a rotary knob.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabid
How are six channels crammed into those things? I get the forward/reverse and right/left makes up four (I think), does the sixth come into play when you move it diagonal or something?
Each joy stick controls two channels. Vertical is one, horizontal is the other. The other channels are controlled by either a slider switch or rotary dial depending on the Transmitter.

Forward/Reverse is a single channel. Same with left/right on a single axle.
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 03:26 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

The Laser 6 is a great radio. It has a sprung throttle channel, and if you set it up for servo mixing (flip one switch)...You can control all the steering functions on the right stick...and use the left stick just for throttle/brake. It makes it 10 times easier rather than having rear steer on the left <--> stick, and the front steer on the right <--> stick. Doing this, i can still have independent front/rear steering, crab steering, and traditional 4ws, all by only moving one stick (in the proper direction)

read my write-up on it, it explains most of the setup details.

-Fish, if you have any questions on how to set it up, IM me on AOL, my sn for the boards is KrodClod
Krod_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 06:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTFUN
Independant 4ws give an amazing amount of control and monuverability (however the hell it's spelt ) Off my Hitec agressor CRX I can have standard 4ws, Crab steer, Front only, Rear only or rear held to either side while still steering with the front. All except the last one works through the wheel by using pre programmed models and switching between them. Being able to operate the rear separately means you can get a much more favourable line through an obsticle and allow the wheels to climb it at the best angle for example if you want to climb up steps you need to go diagonal so you you dont high centre on the peak but you also need to turn into the step so it doesn't slide sideways along it so by lining up at the best angle and then crab steering both wheels into to step you will clamber straight up like a spider. This is just one simple example of how you can use it but I use it all the time. The CRX is about $300 in Aus which is about mid range for a radio, I don't really know what the conversion rate would be. There is also a few threads on 3 Channel radios here too just put in a search.
Thanks all, that cleared up a few things. I think I will look into getting a good radio once I beef up this stock clod for crawling.

Oh and TXT fun that is exactly what I was thinking it would be good for. Thanks for the help. I also live in Aus.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:44 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Where abouts in Aus are you?
Old 09-29-2004, 07:24 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Where abouts in Aus are you?
Old 09-30-2004, 12:16 AM   #19

I'm in Brissy. I think I know of two guys from LHS that are into MT's and nobody I know is into this hobby. It would be cool to finally find someone to bash with.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:22 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

There are a few Qld guys somewhere, you should be able to find them on the outerlimits4x4 forum in the rc tech section. XFactor on this forum is from up that way Gold Coast I think (you out there X). We have a bit of a state of origin thing which was around easter time this year at Kempsey, should be the same next year I imagine. Also some Vic guys just had their first comp last weekend so it could be a big one next time around.