Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Blue Torch Fab building a couple tube buggies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2005, 08:00 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Blue Torch Fab building a couple tube buggies

I have been building fullsize crawlers for years. One of the driving forces behind our company is to build new and innovative parts for DIY fabricators. For about the past year I have been messing around with rc crawlers in the little spare time I have. I bought and built a TXT. It was fun but the rig was still someone elses chassis. Over the past few months I had been wanting to build a tube chassis for my rc. Rob Park (aka Bender) from came to work for us a couple weeks ago. Some of you may know him as Tin Bender on the Pirate Board. He was checking out my rc stuff and pushed me a little to begin working on my tube chassis for the rc. Over the weekend I built the chassis and I hope to get a little time this week to finish it.

I used a TXT tranny and X-Factor axles. I have 40 series MOABs and the Proline bead locks for it. A friend if mine is modifing a radio for me to controll the rear steer. If I have time I am going to laser cut the roof panel, side body panels, and bottom skid from aluminum sometime this week. I have some other cool ideas for laser cut parts that I should be able to do in the very near future. Some of the things that I want to do is laser cut the servo mounts, battery tray, and a couple other things. Once I do if any of you want the parts I will be able to pop them off the laser for you. The wheel base I have st right now is 16.5 inches. The chassis I am building is out of 3/16 round rod and is TIG welded together. A few of the guys in the shop thought I was a little crazy when I started building jigs for the thing during the build up. i thought it was alot easier to build it that way. All I did was lay out the chassis on the fab table and tack down 1 inch pieces of tube to bend the round rod around. Once they we all tacked down I heated the rod and formed it around my jigs. Once the part was made for each side I moved the tacked pieces of tube to a new arrangement to make the next part. The biggest thing was to get used to TIG welding something that small. I guess I have gotten used to TIG welding 5/16" link brackets to axle tubes with a little heat behind it.

Once I started building my rc chassis Bender could not stand it and started building one for himself. It is kind of cool working on these things and not thinking about what we do for a living. The strange thing is we are building the same thing but just bigger. LOL Benders tuber is going to have TXT axles and a TXT tranny. I have some LST Tires and bead locks he is going to use.

I will try and get you all some pics of my junk sometime over the next couple of days. Be sure to check back.

here is a pic of my full size ride. pics of the rc crawler will come very soon.

EDIT: I ADDED SOME PICS TO THE THREAD FINALLY:

Last edited by 509 Media; 12-07-2005 at 12:10 PM.
509 Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2005, 08:02 PM   #2
R.I.P. Chip

Can't wait to see the rig!

Tell Bender I said get back to work!
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:10 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Bender is an arse!!...............

Why can't I get a job like that?

I can't wait to see the rc version.

-WRM

BTW, not that you haven't heard already, but you make some pretty sick sh!t!!!
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:11 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason
Can't wait to see the rig!

Tell Bender I said get back to work!
Yeah i thought Bender would have stayed tonight and to get ahead of me on the chassis. he said he had to go home for his first home cooked Alabama meal. I still can't get over the fact that Bender lives in ALABAMA now. LOL He is picking up the new slang pretty well. I have even invented some new ones just to screw with him.

-Dan
Old 12-05-2005, 08:12 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

BTW, you guys outta come down to Globe for WEROCK in the spring.......

bring the rc's with 'ya....

Depending on how my suspension works out, I may try a tube chassis later for my '2A.
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:14 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRMorrison
Bender is an arse!!...............

Why can't I get a job like that?

I can't wait to see the rc version.

-WRM

BTW, not that you haven't heard already, but you make some pretty sick sh!t!!!
thanks for the props dude. The Rc buggy does not look like the Evil Bastard. it has it's own look. It should be cool when I get finished. I have the chassis built, tranny mounted, and suspension link mounts made with axles and links bolted in. I did most of it on Sunday. I am looking forward to getting sometime later in the week to get back on it. I would like to have it driving this weekend if possible. I guess that would be a long shot since my freaking time has been so limited lately.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:17 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Can't wait to see it. Should be very sweet.
Evil Bastard looks awesome... loving the new scheme! Now go out and roll it a few times
-Casey
chambiec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:18 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRMorrison
BTW, you guys outta come down to Globe for WEROCK in the spring.......

bring the rc's with 'ya....

Depending on how my suspension works out, I may try a tube chassis later for my '2A.
The WeRock guys should be here next week. We are looking at build a comp park here right after the first of the year. We have a sick freaking site to build it on. There will be more details about it coming soon on our site.

We should be around more of the comps this year. this year we have been busting it to keep up with all the orders and work in the shop. We are looking at our sced for next year right now. never know we may have to pop into a RC comp somewhere. If anyone knows where a big one might be PM me the info and I will see if we will be in the area.

-Dan
Old 12-05-2005, 08:19 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambiec1
Can't wait to see it. Should be very sweet.
Evil Bastard looks awesome... loving the new scheme! Now go out and roll it a few times
-Casey
i think it is sold. I am just waiting on the coin to be wired to me. I am going to start my new rig in Jan. It will be sick.... I promise you that. LOL

-Dan
Old 12-05-2005, 08:23 PM   #10
06 Super National Champ

Cool stuff.

Now stop fawkin' off and get back to work.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:43 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta
Cool stuff.

Now stop fawkin' off and get back to work.
LOL... yeah I need to be out in the shop but Mondays seem to tie me to a computer for atleast 12 hours. Tuesday will be a little more fun.

-Dan
Old 12-05-2005, 08:45 PM   #12
06 Super National Champ

See...you thought it was bad when you surfed Pirate.

Now you're hanging out here as well.

Pretty soon you'll be writing off Tuesdays as well as Mondays.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:47 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta
See...you thought it was bad when you surfed Pirate.

Now you're hanging out here as well.
yeah I will never get away from the screen. LOL. I am headed to the house in a few minutes before my wife divorces me.

later on... i will try and get some pics of the RC buggy up tomorrow.

-Dan
Old 12-05-2005, 09:14 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

cant wait to see it dan. if its like any of your other work, im sure it will be top notch.
87JeepWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:28 PM   #15

I can't wait to see it either. It'll be killer I'm sure. By the way, how soon till that X Fab show gets aired?
Crawly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:05 PM   #16

Very cool Dan.

I started on a custom tube chassis crawler myself this weekend. Made mine out of 1/4" round rod. I started it with the intention of using clod stuff, but my creative side has gone on field day and at this point I'm looking to run a 2-stroke weed-eater motor mated to a team associated MGT tranny to custom made axles. I've got about a week to kill b/w the end of classes and the beginning of exams, so hopefully I'll make some progress.

Here's the chassis I made over the weekend:

With tires for scale:

I'm sure yours will be much cooler 'cause of all your fancy laser stuff, can't wait to see it!
Arya Ebrahimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 02:33 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Dude don't try and Hijack, mods delete the above post.

Dan, You guys are really making a name for yourself. I bought two diff covers from you a few months ago, and sent you an email asking for work and sent some pics of my first RC tube buggy. Pictured here.

I just couldn't convince the little woman to move from Cali to Ali. Someday I hope to work for a company like yours. Thanks for being there. I can't wait to see the scale tube buggy. Oh and the 1:1 buggy as well.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 05:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep
Dude don't try and Hijack, mods delete the above post.

Dan, You guys are really making a name for yourself. I bought two diff covers from you a few months ago, and sent you an email asking for work and sent some pics of my first RC tube buggy. Pictured here.

I just couldn't convince the little woman to move from Cali to Ali. Someday I hope to work for a company like yours. Thanks for being there. I can't wait to see the scale tube buggy. Oh and the 1:1 buggy as well.

"Don't try and Hijack"???? Ain't that the pot calling the kettle black....?
Dan, your 1:1 is awesome, I look forward to seeing your RC rig with much anticipation.
Stingrae71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 05:51 AM   #19

From everything I've ever seen him post on Pirate, Dan likes to see other rigs and ideas. I'm not trying to hi-jack, just sharing. Jeez.
Arya Ebrahimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:36 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Default Rock Crusher

Any "Rock Crusher" updates?
Also, can't wait to see your R/C tuber.
Thanks - Hoss
HOSS is offline   Reply With Quote