Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Soft springs vs Hard springs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2005, 06:02 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Soft springs vs Hard springs

Is there any real reason to use a softer or harder spring? Right now, using hard (trinity black Maxx) springs, my NN has full articulation. I've got softer springs, but is there any advantage to go either way?
diesel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2005, 06:29 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Yea there are advantages and disagvantages to each depending on what you are trying to accomplish from your shock. If your shocks are at steep angles to the chassis, you are going to need a stiffer spring to keep the vehicle at a certain hieght and also to keep a certain spring rate. The more of an angle your shock is at, the less of actual spring rate you are going to achieve. They can also be used to change the ride hieght of your rig.

If you are going to keep the same shock location on your chassis, then your ride height will change/depending on the weight of your chassis. If you have a lot of weight in your chassis it might get floppy on you while off-camber or articulating.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Leach
93yjpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:58 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I understand about shock angles, placement, ride height and spring rates. Just wondering if there is an advantage to using a softer spring rather than a harder spring. Like I said, with my black trinity springs, I get full articulation (i.e. the shocks bottom out under articulation), is there any advantage to using a softer spring???

Right now, I have a 4 cell GP3300 pack on the front links, a 5 cell GP3300 pack on the chassis, and the ESC and RX also ride on the chassis.
diesel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:58 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I can not tell you exactly what will happen with different springs as I dont have enough time to really go through and fine tune anything on my rigs yet. But if you have the softer springs around, just swap em out. Doesnt take anytime at all to change the springs out, and see on the terrain that you run how they feel different in your control.

If you are getting full articulation, I can not tell you how the softer shock will help you except maybe smoother travel. Either way I'd like to see what happens when you change them over.

Leach
93yjpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:25 PM   #5
RCC Addict

softer springs will give a lil more downtravel. a lot of the time theyll be copressed half way, depending on your setup.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:28 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

it depends on how you use it. you dont want soft springs if you do big jumps because you will hurt the shocks and the suspension. same with too hard, it may damage the axels. for crawling, impats really dont matter, but more the flex and how easily the suspension moves in different situations.
Frakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:34 PM   #7
2006 2.2 National Champ

I run softer springs on front then I do in back. If your front springs are too stiff, when you get the front of your rig pointed up and the weight transfers to the rear axle, the front won't flex at all.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:50 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER
I run softer springs on front then I do in back. If your front springs are too stiff, when you get the front of your rig pointed up and the weight transfers to the rear axle, the front won't flex at all.
thats a pretty good idea.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:23 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I was under the impression you wanted something in between. Stiffness for ride height and softness to allow tire movement on terrain (even with minimal weight like badger stated)
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote