Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Easiest, Cheapest 4 link and axles fixes.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2006, 11:26 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up Easiest, Cheapest 4 link and axles fixes.

I got fed up with the crappy stock susp. link. So I decieded to do a simple 4 link.
I dont have pics right now ( I know "this thread is worthless,,......blahblah) but I want to share this info and anyone with a Nylint should be able to follow it.

Parts: 8 Traxxas ballends, 4-40 allthread, brakeline (the size that fits over 4-40??) solder, misc. screws and maybe some 3mm hardware (You should have tools) Maybe $10, maybe

EZLINK
1. Flip rear axle to position where shock mounts face forward. Axle standing up.

2. Measure and make rear lower links. What ever wheelbase you want. They will attach to the bottom of shock mount and the stock blue link mounts on the side.

3. Top links will run from top of shock mount to the bottom of frame.
Drill small holes down through the posts where the top cover plate screws in the rear, this is where you will attach the forward end of the top links. It should give plenty of triangulation. You may need to add spacers between the ballend and the tub to allow full flex.

4. Shocks. The stock springs/shocks attach stock at top.
The stock shocks will slip over the brakeline on the lower links, you may trim the bottom of the shock like this \_/ to alleviate any binding.

5. Reverse and resolder wires.

Happy Links

Opt. High clearence mod. I believe this has been done before. When the axle is standing vertical, there is a large void that can be removed with no adverse effects. You can get a ton more clearence on the pass. side.

Axle mods:
Dual cased.
Glued and bent tabs on driveplates.
Internal shimmed axles to make drive gears mesh tighter.

After breaking front coupler after front couplers and trying the brass sleeve. I wanted to try something else.

I drilled a 3mm hole through the coupler and axleshaft on each side. Then put a pin through the axle and coupler. Havent broke one yet, even with 2.2 Moabs. Now I just stripped some internal planetaries.

Last edited by TBItoy; 04-26-2006 at 11:28 PM.
TBItoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2006, 11:30 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

what is a dual case mod ? are you talking about adding another planetary ?
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:50 AM   #3
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted
what is a dual case mod ? are you talking about adding another planetary ?
dual case, low low gear mod, additional planetary, they all mean the same thing.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:26 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

yep, I'll try to get some pics this weekend of the links. I have one 13" wb 2.2 nylint and another scale nylint, both 4 link f/r with MiniLST escs and tq3 radio gear.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:05 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecker
dual case, low low gear mod, additional planetary, they all mean the same thing.
thanks
Old 04-27-2006, 02:47 PM   #6

thanks this what i needed to see today......
hiddenunderthecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:03 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

so would you say your 2.2 nylint can compete against a 2.2 tlt equally?

I am trying to figure out my next project. I really like the idea of runnin a nylint since I can just purchase one and slowly mod.

but considering I can get a tlt or vmg right now for around $65 and be able to run stock? I dunno...
gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:25 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher
so would you say your 2.2 nylint can compete against a 2.2 tlt equally?

I am trying to figure out my next project. I really like the idea of runnin a nylint since I can just purchase one and slowly mod.

but considering I can get a tlt or vmg right now for around $65 and be able to run stock? I dunno...
I believe that my Nylint is very competive against a budget built tlt. But you must remember, they are esssentially different animals. Nylints are more of a mini-clod. I am also running stock Nylint shocks(not real shocks).

I must say though, Nylint axles are not going to be durable over time with 2.2s. and replacement parts are not readily availble. Although, 50$ for new axles is pretty cheap. I am seriously considering buying a set of Clod axles for my 2.2s sitll running the susp. and elec. setup i have now, just using narrow Clod axles.

The Nylint axles are best left to stock tires, but with cut and softened tires they can be quite capable, just on a different scale from the 2.2.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:00 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

thanks for the reply... so essentially, it is very similar to buying a stock tlt-1

I mean, to stretch the tlt-1 to 1/10 you need a new tranny, new axles and links.

I like the clod setup just because you don't have to worry about drive train to the main body

I guess in truth though, I would want to just buy two front axles for the 1/18 nylint right? that way I could do 4ws and have the components I really need (have esc/tx/rx/servos already)
gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:04 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

a built nylint vrs a stock tlt...imo the winner is the nylint..why, i had a tlt and it had a high cg that made ti almsot impossible to climb on rough stuch with out flipping over. i can go pretty much over scale to the truck items with the nylint.

2.2 with the nylints like stated above would be killer on the axles over time.