Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: can a R2 disconnect tranny?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default can a R2 disconnect tranny?

Can a person convert a r2 dig tranny to a 2 speed? Or woul I be better to use it backwards as a 2wd/4wd tranny in my scaler.
TomEGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

im sure you can buy the "parts" to make it a two speed...since they do use the same base tranny....search the rc4wd web site and see if they have the parts
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #3
Suck it up!

All you have to do is

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 01-17-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
All you have to do is
Can you expand on that...?

Old 01-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomEGunn View Post

sssssseeeeeeeaaaaaaarrrrrrrccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

hows that for expansion??

did you check out the RC4WD site?
Old 01-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
Suck it up!

Quote:

Not really. Its just super annoying when people can't seem to ask a complete question in the title.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #7
www.team3sixrc.com

You know guys, I agree on telling people to use the easy button. but sometimes it helps giving them a little push if you might know a thread to answer that question. because as far as I know the only way to actually do that is to buy a 2 speed tranny!
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:56 PM   #8
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
You know guys, I agree on telling people to use the easy button. but sometimes it helps giving them a little push if you might know a thread to answer that question. because as far as I know the only way to actually do that is to buy a 2 speed tranny!

I know...I guess I've just seen one too many threads titled like this and finally reached my breaking point...
Old 01-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #9
www.team3sixrc.com

I feel ya, I get like that when i see the "I cant see the for sale section?" threads. But honestly I havent found one thread here on how to change a R2 into a 2 speed tranny. Not like I need one, but yeah alot of the newbs need to read more, but sometimes just getting the right link will allow other who do search to stumble on this thread and see the link for the info.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Not really. Its just super annoying when people can't seem to ask a complete question in the title.
Then don't ansewer them......

Quote:
Thanks team3six, I did do a search before I posted, and came up with nothing. Was I supposed to assume knowone has tried or done it. I would rather ask.

I do know the search feature, but it does not always give you all the info you seek.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:42 PM   #11
Suck it up!

Quote:
Then don't ansewer them......
I don't. If people can't be bothered to finish a sentence, why should I make an effort on my own part?

Quote:
I did do a search before I posted, and came up with nothing. Was I supposed to assume knowone has tried or done it. I would rather ask.

I do know the search feature, but it does not always give you all the info you seek.

Its not that you didn't ask, you did, which is perfectly fine. Its the way you went about it. Don't be afraid to ask a whole question in the title. If someone knows, they'll tell you. If they don't, they won't.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I don't. If people can't be bothered to finish a sentence, why should I make an effort on my own part?

Its not that you didn't ask, you did, which is perfectly fine. Its the way you went about it. Don't be afraid to ask a whole question in the title. If someone knows, they'll tell you. If they don't, they won't.
I was not aware you could put that much info in the title, next time I'll try to ask a question in as few of words as possible ,and still make sense.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

soooo, did you find anything..after thinking about this thread it would be interesting.....and I figured that since you can put a dig on a r2..why not a two speed tranny
Old 01-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
www.team3sixrc.com

You know what Duuuuuuuude, The fact is this.... Like I said before. I can see your point if you use the search button to find it. But There is nothing on that. So even I was like WTF did you post a reply like that for? But now your telling him that he should post the whole question in the title because it annoys you?

I have to say if this was some dumb ass question, you,me and half of the website would be all over this. But it wasnt the case!

If you dont know the answer or how to come across it then dont post in the thread! Its not as if he asked whats the best 1.9 wheel or why cant I see the for sale section. he asked a perfectly good question.

If his question bothers you and the way he posted the question, then dont post in the thread.

Now I am not jumping all over your case, But jeesh, I really dont think the way you went around this or how you answered his question was the way to handle it. its not like he did something stupid.

Bottom line is TomEGunn, I think that you have to actually purchase the 2speed gear box, its because of the way its designed to have a floating gear control. The R2 seems like its a much smaller case and doesnt have the bump out box where the gear slides from one to the other.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #15
Suck it up!

Quote:
You know what Duuuuuuuude, The fact is this.... Like I said before. I can see your point if you use the search button to find it. But There is nothing on that. So even I was like WTF did you post a reply like that for? But now your telling him that he should post the whole question in the title because it annoys you?

I have to say if this was some dumb ass question, you,me and half of the website would be all over this. But it wasnt the case!

If you dont know the answer or how to come across it then dont post in the thread! Its not as if he asked whats the best 1.9 wheel or why cant I see the for sale section. he asked a perfectly good question.

If his question bothers you and the way he posted the question, then dont post in the thread.

Now I am not jumping all over your case, But jeesh, I really dont think the way you went around this or how you answered his question was the way to handle it. its not like he did something stupid.

Bottom line is TomEGunn, I think that you have to actually purchase the 2speed gear box, its because of the way its designed to have a floating gear control. The R2 seems like its a much smaller case and doesnt have the bump out box where the gear slides from one to the other.
My first post was an * move, I admit that. I usually don't bother doing things like that...its pointless and futile. But like I said, I have seen too many threads litteraly titled "Whats the best..." or "where can I find..." or "how do I..." or "my crawler does..." that you could probably do a search for "..." and come up with many pages of titles like that. I snapped and left a shitty reply. I'm sorry.

Besides, "can a r2 be converted to a 2 speed" will fit easily.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:05 PM   #16
www.team3sixrc.com

well, Like I said it wasnt anything really personal against you. I just feel that maybe some of us people who have been here awhile, Might be pushing away some good people because we see threads like this and get on the A hole bandwagon welcoming party.

I admit I do this too, but I am starting to take a little effort to think about it before I post up. The same style question was just brought up in the Micro crawler section. But its something about people getting mad because the thread isn't split up from tech questions and 80% of the thread is scaler guys posts. But my thing was that it really didn't have any bearing on the subject since its a not a comp truck. its a smaller toy.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:25 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

for the record...I was the first to say search....

guys, can we get back on point...or is it lost, the guy asked a question...

heres the link that I found
http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=8591a944cb3c490bfdbcfdbffffa0b62

Link to the replacement gears and pic

http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=497

right from the RC4WD website. Color changed so you can read it.

What's included:
  • 1x Replacement gears parts R2 2 Speed Tranny

Note: This product is designed to fit R2 Single Speed Tranny only (Part # X-0219 & X-035
Sounds like it could work!!!!!

two speed pic.............R2 tranny "the orginal".......R2D (with dig)

K..you would just need the exterior encasement for the gears...
Old 01-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

squatch71 , thanks for the info. I came up with the same stuff, but looking at the pics, I don't think all the srews line up on the 2 speed unit( the top left screw ) with the tranny case. looks close to the dig screw holes but not exactly.

I also asked about useing the r2 as a front/rear (2wd/4wd) set -up, but in hind sight, I think I'll save my 3rd channel for a winch instead

Anyways, thanks for the input and support.

Duuuuuuuuuuude.... no hard feelings, but don't assume that low post #'s d means I don't know how to use the forum. I actually read the rules and tips thread. Even with that said...we all make mistakes once in awhile.
IMO... Maybe a PM with a tip or sugestion would have been better.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #19
Suck it up!

Quote:
Duuuuuuuuuuude.... no hard feelings, but don't assume that low post #'s d means I don't know how to use the forum. I actually read the rules and tips thread. Even with that said...we all make mistakes once in awhile.
IMO... Maybe a PM with a tip or sugestion would have been better.
Post count doesn't mean anything to me. There are some that have been creeping around here for years with less posts than you and probably more knowledge than both of us put together.

Kudo's to you for taking the time to read and understand whats going on here...there are so many that don't. Don't let my moment of bad form discourage you from asking questions.

Glad you didn't take it personally.

Maybe you, team3six and I need to have a group hug?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #20
Sometimes, I make things.

I thought all the R2 trannies were 2 speeds..... I have an r2d for a project, I thought it was a 2 speed with dig. I was under the impression that that's where the 2 came from in the name. Weird. I thought the one at top left pictured above was just an enclosed dig transmission, the top right was a standard 2 speed and the bottom (the one I have) was a 2 speed with an open air dig unit. I am a newb for sure as I have yet to finish a crawler project, but I have done a lot of reading on these trannies, must be I was missinterpretting the specs......
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote