Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: my dovetail w/ comp cut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2006, 02:04 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default my dovetail w/ comp cut

hey guys new here just wanted to say great forum and share my rig!

I read alot on here before I took out the dremel .... had a few beers and decied to git r done!

5 hours later i had extended the wheel base inboarded the coils cut the flew limiting tabs then comp cut and dovetailed the body
I need to clean up the epoxy still and sand and paint it( but what color guess it will be primer for a while)
I used black ductape for my tonneu cover and electrical tape to make the cage look padded (also it hides my cut and glue and that ugly blue)
bought some 22ga aluminum so I'm adding axle skids and doing a tummy tuck next and making formed rock rails..
thanks for all the ideas .. I hope I can come up with a few to share

Last edited by supazuk; 01-26-2006 at 02:10 AM.
supazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2006, 07:57 AM   #2
I joined the Band!

saw this post on neow too........nice truck, i like the look of the cage
samuraiboy4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Looks Really good!! Nice JOB!
Going Up! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:18 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

You've done a nice job! Looks good buddy!
zach3713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:55 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Check the bling on the last shot!!! ;)
Chuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:34 PM   #6
_Jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuki
Check the bling on the last shot!!!
yeah it time for:

nice work man. what did you do to the cage?

jp
_Jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:52 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuki
Check the bling on the last shot!!! ;)
I plan of taking care of that today hahaha.. flat black!

oh JP the cage is cut in the back and then i used coat hangers in the joints with epoxy to rejoin

I didn't liek the blue and I was too lazy to sand and paint it .. well leave it to the fiance to ask why didn't they put padding on the cage ( she is a nascar fan).. and it hit me electrical tape!
Old 01-26-2006, 10:42 PM   #8
_Jp

gotcha. figured it was electrical tape after looking closer. its kinda got that padded look. hopefully (?) if i can get a new one or give up and cut this one up im going to replace the whole cage with small diam brake line. tie it into the fenders in front, etc. we run something similar on one of our tj's where we flat fendered it. dunno. have to make sure this thing isnt going to burn my place down first. gotta dovetail it as well. and thats one of the nicer cuts ive seen too on that close rear shot. nice and smooth and lined up. im gonna dremel it and use a file to taper it all. nice mods man.

jp
_Jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:48 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

fair warning...with the rear wheelbase extended like that, the torque will try to twist the axle around the link....

i had mine like that for a while until i noticed it, and switched it back to stock.....the front seems fine extended like that though......
SlammedMini469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:48 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedMini469
fair warning...with the rear wheelbase extended like that, the torque will try to twist the axle around the link....

i had mine like that for a while until i noticed it, and switched it back to stock.....the front seems fine extended like that though......
yeah i read a post about that ... I'm gonna do the lift block mod I was reading about in the read while at the same time adding even more length.. also I'm gonna wrap the link with a hose clamp.. will take pics when i finish

Last edited by supazuk; 01-26-2006 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:52 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jp
gotcha. figured it was electrical tape after looking closer. its kinda got that padded look. hopefully (?) if i can get a new one or give up and cut this one up im going to replace the whole cage with small diam brake line. tie it into the fenders in front, etc. we run something similar on one of our tj's where we flat fendered it. dunno. have to make sure this thing isnt going to burn my place down first. gotta dovetail it as well. and thats one of the nicer cuts ive seen too on that close rear shot. nice and smooth and lined up. im gonna dremel it and use a file to taper it all. nice mods man.

jp
I was into plastic models for years so I have the tools/skills to do the body work and .. however i had to experimenting on finding the glue a bit .. ended up using lock tight epoxy fron the joints and JB weld behind to supply bracing in lue of the original being cut out