Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Did anyone try to put the chassis forword instead of in the mid of axles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 04:20 AM   #1

Question Did anyone try to put the chassis forword instead of in the mid of axles?

I mean, in my view, putting the chassis/skid, maybe a asymmetric structure, closer to the front axle could help to avoid hung up while break over. But almost all of the chassises I'v seen are in the mid of axles. Why? I miss something?
Campaign000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2011, 05:16 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

There are plenty of folks running 60/40 or even 70/30 setups. Heck, the FF4 chassis (made by Underground Crawlers) was designed to be a Frame Forward chassis.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
RCC Addict

And it works a lot better I'd the frame is designed for it. If not the front shocks need to be shorter than the rear or your gonna need to be a little creative mounting them. I'd guess I ran my LS 2.0 AX at about 65/35 (never done the math) and will probably end up getting the cab foward T1E chassis for my XR when I get tired of the stock one.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
20K Club

It changes the way the truck reacts pretty drastically. With the shorter front links you suspension will cause you to get a lot of chassis movement. This can cause interesting affects while driving. We have tried lots of different designs over the years of crawling. I prefer the 50/50 setup.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

My links have my chassis set up at about a 55-45 % ratio. with the angle of the skid and rear links, it's a good setup for break overs/ledges with today's tire sizes.
Might even be 53-47, but who cares, it's just enough to work right.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
It changes the way the truck reacts pretty drastically. With the shorter front links you suspension will cause you to get a lot of chassis movement. This can cause interesting affects while driving. We have tried lots of different designs over the years of crawling. I prefer the 50/50 setup.

This is exactly what I'm expecting and makes it clear why the chassises on the market are 50/50. So would you PLEASE kindly give more details and examples about the "interesting affects while driving" Harley??
Campaign000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:59 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
What about keeping the links roughly equal in length front to rear (to avoid the chassis movement), but getting the measured weight in the 60/40 to 70/30 range?
Does it depend, somewhat, on MOA vs. Shafty??
I know personal preference also has an effect.

All my rocks have 1'+ snow on them now, so "furniture crawling" is about I can do, for now.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote