Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: spring help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question spring help!

hey, ive seen some 'comp' rigs that are 'slammed', well ive wondered if i can just remove my springs and leave the shock in place,, this will lower the rig a lot but keep travel, will this work?
i run a Twin vertical plate chassis.
Tom94offroaduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Plenty of people have run a droop setup......you'll want thicker weight oil. It's not a setup that everyone likes, but give it a shot and see how it works for you.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

That a droop suspension setup. You'd want to run internal springs, without them your truck will be fairly unpredictable.

But you can give it a shot, if it works for you, go with it.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks !!, i might give it a try, i just didnt want to do it to find out it was a waste of my time.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Question photos?

Has any one got some photos of there rigs that have the droop system being used?
Old 02-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i wouldnt say its a waste of time dude. its learning your rig to see one set up vs the other. i went internal sping on the front of my losi cuz the tires hit the springs at full lock. went down to ace hardware, they had a plywood sheet board with all available spring types mounted. i picked the one that matched the strength to the factory external spring, then got one more of one that was stiffer and then another that was softer...take your shock housing with you to make sure the spring fits into it. then go home cut fit and tune...

hope this helps
SIK_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIK_BOY View Post
i wouldnt say its a waste of time dude. its learning your rig to see one set up vs the other. i went internal sping on the front of my losi cuz the tires hit the springs at full lock. went down to ace hardware, they had a plywood sheet board with all available spring types mounted. i picked the one that matched the strength to the factory external spring, then got one more of one that was stiffer and then another that was softer...take your shock housing with you to make sure the spring fits into it. then go home cut fit and tune...

hope this helps
Thanks man
Old 02-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up all done--any good?

hey, i just did the mod i asked about, here are some photos. any good?, im also thinking about putting some small external springs at the bottom.

i'll post some updates when i put small springs on,
Old 02-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Talking unique idea?

hey, ive now left my rear springs on and took the front ones off, then i have put some small springs on the front,(to stop the shock bottoming out), it runs good,, well i had a quick go and battery ran out. lol. any way here are some pictures.

i'll probably end up changing these back to stock, lol, but what hell, its good to experiment with your rig!!

Last edited by Tom94offroaduk; 02-05-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I've been running full droop on my last 2 trucks and while there were some great advantages (I thought) I am going back to a sprung setup. One thing I hated with the droop was the truck actually growing in height if I bound up the front wheels hard. I personally got used to the way it handles but most of the other guys in my club got quite surprised when I went from a 2.5" clearance to over 4" in a blink of an eye.
MikeyBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Here is a couple pics of the setup I had, the tuber is about a year old and the Bully pics are the rear end before I went back to sprung.
Attached Images

MikeyBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:09 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBike View Post
I've been running full droop on my last 2 trucks and while there were some great advantages (I thought) I am going back to a sprung setup. One thing I hated with the droop was the truck actually growing in height if I bound up the front wheels hard. I personally got used to the way it handles but most of the other guys in my club got quite surprised when I went from a 2.5" clearance to over 4" in a blink of an eye.
thanks for the advice,, well i still need to test mine(when battery is charged) lol.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

well i internal swaped my spring i honestly started with the closest match to the factory sprung spring, but since i only did the front i placed the spring ontop the piston as to still keep my ride heigth. i like the way it works on my lnc.
SIK_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks, springs