Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Exoskeleton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Exoskeleton

hey guys, im gonna try to make an exo skeleton for my scx10 f150 body. i apologize if this isnt the right place to post this.

i picked up some brake line today and been messing with it trying to get it straight and make good bends because this is my first time at trying something like this. i picked up a few good tips to straighten it but im kinda having trouble with getting good bends. what im doing to keep it symmetrical is taping to peices of pipe side by side and bending them at the same time with my vice. im not too worried about kinks right now. i will look into getting a pipe bender but right now the vice is what i have to work with.

i will try to get some pics up within the next couple of days of what i have so far. ive never brazed before so i kinda have to teach myself. been watching alot of vids and reading about brazing. i just wanna do something simple not show quality but i would like it to look decent. the pipes i bent today didnt come out too bad but having a little trouble with the front cross pieces, im sure this roll of pipe wont last too long as i know im sure to make quite a few mistakes. im having trouble with keepin the pipe straight when i make my bends so any help there would be nice.

if you want to post up suggestions or tips that would be very appreciated.
all_scaled_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I usually buy straight lengths of brake line. I also use a bit of solid rod that is purchased from home depot.
One of the biggest things to getting brazing down is having the right torch and the right flux. I had an issue when I was trying to learn. After burning up over 20 bucks of silver solder, I was finally informed that I had been sold the wrong flux.
I tried to use home depot rods for brazing and had mediocre results. Do yourself a favor if you haven't already. Pick up some Harris wire, some stay silv flux, and a pencil tip torch firing off map gas or the new alternative to map.
Tubing benders can be picked up cheaply. Or you can always use two bolts, a few washers, and your vice.
Good luck and post up pics.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

i asked the guy at the auto parts store and all they had were the coiled brakeline. i will do some more looking around for some straight pieces. i did try to use the bolt in the vice idea but would always wind up bending up or down when i tried a second bend so it kinda looked like a swirly straw but not that extreme. i guess to combat that is to do one bend per piece of pipe? none of the hardware stores i went to today carried the right flux or silver so i didnt bother. i have a map torch but not a pencil tip torch. i will look into some harris wire and stay silv flux. thanks for the tips.

oh how thick is that solid rod and what material? i assume you get nicer bends with solid rod vs brake line huh.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The solid rod is 3/16. For smaller tubes i use nails.
You might have better luck finding Harris items in a welding supply store. It can also be found in a kit on the bay.
For tight bends I will fill the tube with sand prior to bending it so I don't get any kinks. Be sure to sand the protective coating off the brake line before you heat it up, and also be sure to be in a ventilated area.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_scaled_out View Post
i asked the guy at the auto parts store and all they had were the coiled brakeline. i will do some more looking around for some straight pieces. i did try to use the bolt in the vice idea but would always wind up bending up or down when i tried a second bend so it kinda looked like a swirly straw but not that extreme. i guess to combat that is to do one bend per piece of pipe? none of the hardware stores i went to today carried the right flux or silver so i didnt bother. i have a map torch but not a pencil tip torch. i will look into some harris wire and stay silv flux. thanks for the tips.

oh how thick is that solid rod and what material? i assume you get nicer bends with solid rod vs brake line huh.
what parts store did you go to to get your brakeline?they all should have straight pcs.i go to auto zone,advanced auto,or napa.they all have it.it is around $7-$8 for 6' pc of 3/16" and also the tubing bender i use came from napa for around $12-$15.it will bend 1/8,3/16,1/4 and 5/16" all in one.and do ok with it.just if you get the brakeline from any of those,it has a coating on it and will have to clean it well to get it off.

hope this helps you out and good luck.

also if you use 3/16" like i do on most of my builds.write down your measurements,even with other sizes,but with 3/16" make your marks and back off 1-1/8" and bend it there to get it right.

Last edited by hotrodsonoma; 04-25-2011 at 09:49 PM.
hotrodsonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i went to advanced auto. i didnt feel lke driving an extra 20min to try napa and autozone. i will check today for some straight pieces, that would make my world so much easier not having to roll it under a wood board with 80lb bag of concrete on top lol. i will make sure i grind it down and prep the line with my dremel if i can find some soft grinder attachments , i have the grinder/cutting attachments but im pretty sure that would gouge up the line before i begin to braze or use a bristle wheel which i use for polishing and seems lke it would work best. as far as measurements go, thats where im not comfortable, but seems simple enough once i get the hang of placing the bender in the right position.

thanks for the tips! i will take some pics of the progress once i get started
Old 04-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

you don't even need a dremel. i use a file.
make sure you get really tight copes on the joints of your tubing. the best hint i can offer you there is a chainsaw file. the tighter the copes, the easier it will be to braze and also the stronger your joint will be.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I am lucky enough, that one of the largest metal recyclers is in town, and they have a small yard they seperate metals by type and you are allowed to pick through the dumpsters off and buy by the pound. I found their stainless selection great, some weeks.

What about General Carbon Steel seamless tubing from Mcmaster Carr?
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/131/=c1n3q2
You could mix some 1/4OD tubing with some 3/16 OD rod.
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

advanced does carry straight brake line, thats where i used to get all of mine since it used to be the closest. whoever told you they didnt must not know much (which has been my general experience with the ppl who work at the ones ive gone to)
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #10
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
i didnt feel lke driving an extra 20min to try napa and autozone.
You could just call them
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

i went to two advance autos, the only auto store in my area for some reason, and both said they dont have any. my brother works for advance, maybe i can get a straight answer from him but he lives in tenn. well i just texted him and sure enough he said yes they do have it. i just asked him where they generally store it. thats just ridiculous.

ok i just talked to my bro. got a part number and location, this time im going in prepared for battle lol
heres the part no. just incase somebody might want it - PA372

now i can start to get crackin on ths

Last edited by all_scaled_out; 04-26-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

i started the bends that follow the body on the top, which will probably be the hardest. minus the back on the sides and the line that follows the bottom an wheel wells, the rest should be just straight triangulated pieces. the front i want to add slight bends also so it follows the grill an headlights a little.

for the wheel wells i plan on filling a soda can with sand or a pvc pipe so i can make those bends nice clean.

heres the rails i just finished up. in the pic shos where im running into trouble

heres the back, its slightly bent out of whack, im gonna try to straighten it

Last edited by all_scaled_out; 04-26-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

i have run into a snag trying to bend the lines to conform to the wheel well. they are pretty tight bends, i think i will have to cut an braze it together. i plan on ordering some brazing rods soon cause i cant find them here locally. i was really hoping to make it one piece. i will give it another try at bending it tomorrow, hockey takes precedence tonight, cant miss game 7.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Rods work, but trust me once you get Harris wire and stay silv flux you will never pick up another rod. Don't keep buying things that you think might work, or things you might be able to use. Get a decent tube bender and grab some silver solder.
Being from new England I'm voting for bruins.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

i havent bought any brazing materials yet, but i will get some harris wire an some stay silv flux when i get a chance to. right now im just trying to get all the peices of the puzzle in order so when i do get it i just have to focus on puttlng it together. GO BOLTS. i think im having so much trouble with getting the right bends because i keep cutting the tube too short and dont leave much room to get enough leverage. really frustrating working in a garage with temps over 100 degrees. im about to take over the kitchen table.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #16
RCC Addict

still not looking too bad though.just try bending/tweaking some of the bends by hand.or maybe take a piece of plywood,drive some nails in it the shape of the fender and bend around them.

or cut a circle/oval shape of the fenders out of a 2x4/2x6 etc and try it that way.
hotrodsonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:07 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
i started the bends that follow the body on the top, which will probably be the hardest. minus the back on the sides and the line that follows the bottom an wheel wells, the rest should be just straight triangulated pieces. the front i want to add slight bends also so it follows the grill an headlights a little.

for the wheel wells i plan on filling a soda can with sand or a pvc pipe so i can make those bends nice clean.

heres the rails i just finished up. in the pic shos where im running into trouble

heres the back, its slightly bent out of whack, im gonna try to straighten it

run the tube a little long to make the short front bend and trim it to fit
crawlinisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

yea thats what im gonna have to do. im running out of tube from messing up twice, only have about 2ft left. i will have to go get some more and the next time im not going to cut so short. atleast im getting in alot of practice, im learning every bend i make. im surprised the tube hasnt really kinked with just using the vice and some bolts. i think i have just enough tube to do one side of the wheel well portion, which i realy dont wanna bend them seperately though.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

well i made some progress today...so i think. had alot of trouble getting the tight and close bends following the contour of the wheel wells. i still have a few more touch up bends to make. i should have started with a full cage, theres alot less complicated bends than doing what im going for.

heres a pic of what i have so far, just mocked up to get an idea of what it will look like when finished. waiting on my flux an wire to start brazing. anybody fore see any issues i might come across?

Last edited by all_scaled_out; 04-30-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #20
RCC Addict

thats going to look sweet!!!
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote