RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   Crawler Carry-On Checklist (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/325485-crawler-carry-checklist.html)

Harvo 07-09-2011 09:53 PM

Crawler Carry-On Checklist

I understand you can carry-on your crawler onto a flight. I have heard tips here and there about what you must do and what makes things easier.

I'd like to hear tips from people who carry on crawlers about how things need to be. (ie. tape up the contacts on the batteries, take the batteries out of the TX) etc.

And what the people at the airport need to hear when they scan your bags and see an item that could be mistaken for a "device" :shock:

Thanks...

Nabil 07-10-2011 04:18 AM

You can carry on tools, but I find it a lot easier to check them. other then that I carry everything else on. nothing special in how I pack. Lead weights show up weird on the X-ray, as do any other dense metals. let them know you have lead and an rc with you before you send it through and they will tell you if you need to take it out or just leave it in the bag.

JeremyH 07-10-2011 06:04 AM

Yep, same as Nabil. I check my tools and carry the rest. They have never really cared. At most, performed a wipe test on the truck and the batteries...

Harvo 07-10-2011 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyH (Post 3179415)
Yep, same as Nabil. I check my tools and carry the rest. They have never really cared. At most, performed a wipe test on the truck and the batteries...

What does the wipe test check for?

JeremyH 07-10-2011 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvo (Post 3179429)

I assume explosive material. It was just an alcohol swab. The TSA agent actually cleaned my truck a bit so I asked him if he could swipe it again.

You should be fine. Most of those guys are going to be more interested in the truck and ask you questions about it than they will be worried that it is a weapon.

BTW, another tip, I purchased a few small parts boxes and put my spares (one truck per box) in them. This made the spares easier to pack in my suitcase...

lambo-27 07-10-2011 07:28 AM

i havnt yet taken my scaler on a flight but i have taken a short course truck, that was fine going through in hand luggage because its mostly plastic.

i will be taking my scaler over to france but was wondering what they will say about steel tube work?

Erik D_lux 07-11-2011 12:17 AM

Sorry, a bit un related but,....

I took a 1:1 winch as carry on in a suit case a year or so ago. It was 100lb Warn 9.5ti. They wiped it with the cloth thing but didnt really care beyond that.

Really? If there was anything that could be a bomb wouldnt it look just like a winch? LOL. I cant believe I got away with it.

Oh, and it was hell lifting it in the overhead. Try lifting something that is 100lb over the top of your head and leaning over a foot or so while risking dropping it on some dudes head at the same time.

ittybitty 07-11-2011 11:17 AM

Ha I can just see some heavy turbulence shaking the overhead storage compartments to pieces and that winch coming down on his head! :lmao:

Charlie-III 07-11-2011 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ittybitty (Post 3181052)
Ha I can just see some heavy turbulence shaking the overhead storage compartments to pieces and that winch coming down on his head! :lmao:

Or, in his lap, followed by, "I said I wanted a Wench, NOT winch!!":shock::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I'm following this thread as I travel a lot for work (Im in STL now). Would be nice to bring a rig at times."thumbsup"

xrra_tj 07-11-2011 07:23 PM

All I can add is I pack anything questionable on top, so its easy for them to get out and easy to pack back up. And a 4pk box fits under the seat perfectly.

Harvo 07-11-2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrra_tj (Post 3181736)
All I can add is I pack anything questionable on top, so its easy for them to get out and easy to pack back up. And a 4pk box fits under the seat perfectly.

So is the 4PK box your "small item"?

xrra_tj 07-12-2011 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvo (Post 3182012)
So is the 4PK box your "small item"?

Yeah its my small item. And you can pack a lot of stuff in it.

scatterbrains 07-12-2011 01:40 PM

I can get my super 2.2 and 1.9 into a carry on bag with out wheels attached my radio batteries and charger are also in my carry on. My whole premise is based on i need the things i cant borrow/replace easiest with me at all times. I keep the wheels tires tools etc in my checked luggage.

Ive never had a problem in at least 8 airports ive been through for crawler comps including philly, newark, reno and chicago. You will be asked lots of questions on what they are what do you do with them and may even run into a nice older woman who knew exactly what they were and where we were going because her grandson was into it LOL.

MojaveMonster 07-12-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Swab test checks for chemical traces of anything used to make explosives. My fathers xwife couldn't make her flight once because she had transported fertilizer a week before loading her luggage and it popped up on the test.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Pdog7 07-15-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Poo!:ror:

hEdly 07-17-2011 10:19 PM

I have carried on some...well...let's say some odd stuff for my line of work and I don't get too many questions. If it is R/C stuff, it isn't too terribly odd looking. It's really easy for the agents too look at is and figure it is not dangerous.

They, well all airlines are beginning to get fickle about allowing Li-Ion or any Lithium batteries on board commercial flights. They are even beginning to consider laptop batteries which have a small amount of power compared to the li-po's used on R/C.

otherwise, there just isn't enough bulk in a r/c vehicle to hide enough explosives.

Depending on the agent, they may not like the tools. Guess they think you'll start taking the plan apart.

Highlucks 07-18-2011 02:47 AM

Make sure your lipo's are in you Carry on.

I flew not so long ago to from Perth to Sydney and had everything except my Lipos in the checked luggage.

KC_JoNeS 07-18-2011 03:10 AM

Always have the lipos in LiPo safe fire bags, and always carry them on. Also, I choose to carry on the crawlers too. I have flown with my 2.2 comp crawler overseas, and it was ok. I have also flown domestic flights with my scaler.

Casey

MisterFubar 07-18-2011 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyH (Post 3179435)
I assume explosive material. It was just an alcohol swab. The TSA agent actually cleaned my truck a bit so I asked him if he could swipe it again.

It is an explosives residue test.

A few years ago I was flying out of KCI and they swabbed my laptop and it set the machine off. Apparently it was the first time this agent had ever seen the machine go off and she didn't know what to do. Started half freaking out and frantically calling for a supervisor. The supervisor wasn't sure what to do either so he called his supervisor and more security. Long story short I explained to them that the laptop had been to war with me twice and the bag it was in sometimes serves as my range bag. After showing them that the laptop powered up and was functional they let me go.

jeepcj776 07-25-2011 08:26 PM

I flew with my 2.2 and had all my tools with me in my carry on, Including a box cutter and x-acto knife, I wouldn't worry about it.

then again our airport is tiny and the security is a joke.