Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Crawler Carry-On Checklist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Crawler Carry-On Checklist

I understand you can carry-on your crawler onto a flight. I have heard tips here and there about what you must do and what makes things easier.

I'd like to hear tips from people who carry on crawlers about how things need to be. (ie. tape up the contacts on the batteries, take the batteries out of the TX) etc.

And what the people at the airport need to hear when they scan your bags and see an item that could be mistaken for a "device"

Thanks...
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2011, 04:18 AM   #2
no talent hack

You can carry on tools, but I find it a lot easier to check them. other then that I carry everything else on. nothing special in how I pack. Lead weights show up weird on the X-ray, as do any other dense metals. let them know you have lead and an rc with you before you send it through and they will tell you if you need to take it out or just leave it in the bag.
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:04 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yep, same as Nabil. I check my tools and carry the rest. They have never really cared. At most, performed a wipe test on the truck and the batteries...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:45 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Yep, same as Nabil. I check my tools and carry the rest. They have never really cared. At most, performed a wipe test on the truck and the batteries...
What does the wipe test check for?
Old 07-10-2011, 06:53 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
I assume explosive material. It was just an alcohol swab. The TSA agent actually cleaned my truck a bit so I asked him if he could swipe it again.

You should be fine. Most of those guys are going to be more interested in the truck and ask you questions about it than they will be worried that it is a weapon.

BTW, another tip, I purchased a few small parts boxes and put my spares (one truck per box) in them. This made the spares easier to pack in my suitcase...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

i havnt yet taken my scaler on a flight but i have taken a short course truck, that was fine going through in hand luggage because its mostly plastic.

i will be taking my scaler over to france but was wondering what they will say about steel tube work?
lambo-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:17 AM   #7
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Sorry, a bit un related but,....

I took a 1:1 winch as carry on in a suit case a year or so ago. It was 100lb Warn 9.5ti. They wiped it with the cloth thing but didnt really care beyond that.

Really? If there was anything that could be a bomb wouldnt it look just like a winch? LOL. I cant believe I got away with it.

Oh, and it was hell lifting it in the overhead. Try lifting something that is 100lb over the top of your head and leaning over a foot or so while risking dropping it on some dudes head at the same time.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Ha I can just see some heavy turbulence shaking the overhead storage compartments to pieces and that winch coming down on his head!
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
Ha I can just see some heavy turbulence shaking the overhead storage compartments to pieces and that winch coming down on his head!
Or, in his lap, followed by, "I said I wanted a Wench, NOT winch!!"

I'm following this thread as I travel a lot for work (Im in STL now). Would be nice to bring a rig at times.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

All I can add is I pack anything questionable on top, so its easy for them to get out and easy to pack back up. And a 4pk box fits under the seat perfectly.
xrra_tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrra_tj View Post
All I can add is I pack anything questionable on top, so its easy for them to get out and easy to pack back up. And a 4pk box fits under the seat perfectly.
So is the 4PK box your "small item"?
Old 07-12-2011, 04:19 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
So is the 4PK box your "small item"?
Yeah its my small item. And you can pack a lot of stuff in it.
xrra_tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I can get my super 2.2 and 1.9 into a carry on bag with out wheels attached my radio batteries and charger are also in my carry on. My whole premise is based on i need the things i cant borrow/replace easiest with me at all times. I keep the wheels tires tools etc in my checked luggage.

Ive never had a problem in at least 8 airports ive been through for crawler comps including philly, newark, reno and chicago. You will be asked lots of questions on what they are what do you do with them and may even run into a nice older woman who knew exactly what they were and where we were going because her grandson was into it LOL.
scatterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Swab test checks for chemical traces of anything used to make explosives. My fathers xwife couldn't make her flight once because she had transported fertilizer a week before loading her luggage and it popped up on the test.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
MojaveMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #15
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Quote:

Poo!
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:19 PM   #16

I have carried on some...well...let's say some odd stuff for my line of work and I don't get too many questions. If it is R/C stuff, it isn't too terribly odd looking. It's really easy for the agents too look at is and figure it is not dangerous.

They, well all airlines are beginning to get fickle about allowing Li-Ion or any Lithium batteries on board commercial flights. They are even beginning to consider laptop batteries which have a small amount of power compared to the li-po's used on R/C.

otherwise, there just isn't enough bulk in a r/c vehicle to hide enough explosives.

Depending on the agent, they may not like the tools. Guess they think you'll start taking the plan apart.
hEdly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:47 AM   #17
Try to Bend it

Make sure your lipo's are in you Carry on.

I flew not so long ago to from Perth to Sydney and had everything except my Lipos in the checked luggage.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:10 AM   #18
Tossin' Salad

Always have the lipos in LiPo safe fire bags, and always carry them on. Also, I choose to carry on the crawlers too. I have flown with my 2.2 comp crawler overseas, and it was ok. I have also flown domestic flights with my scaler.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:17 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I assume explosive material. It was just an alcohol swab. The TSA agent actually cleaned my truck a bit so I asked him if he could swipe it again.
It is an explosives residue test.

A few years ago I was flying out of KCI and they swabbed my laptop and it set the machine off. Apparently it was the first time this agent had ever seen the machine go off and she didn't know what to do. Started half freaking out and frantically calling for a supervisor. The supervisor wasn't sure what to do either so he called his supervisor and more security. Long story short I explained to them that the laptop had been to war with me twice and the bag it was in sometimes serves as my range bag. After showing them that the laptop powered up and was functional they let me go.
MisterFubar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I flew with my 2.2 and had all my tools with me in my carry on, Including a box cutter and x-acto knife, I wouldn't worry about it.

then again our airport is tiny and the security is a joke.
jeepcj776 is offline   Reply With Quote