Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: best way to waterproof??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2006, 07:19 AM   #1

Default best way to waterproof??

I am looking to waterproof my 1/18 jeep, I am just not sure of the best way to do it. Do the axles even need waterproofed? Can I just put di electric grease in the battery connections? If the axles need sealed can I seal the slots with RTV? any ideas I would reallt like to run this through water and mud.

Last edited by dan1990xj; 04-14-2006 at 07:19 AM. Reason: spelling
dan1990xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2006, 10:02 AM   #2
RCC Addict

im not sure but i would like to know this as well
BrandonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:20 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

dont go in the water.... lol

the axles are openin some spots so maybe some rtv to fill gaps. as far as electronics it depends if you have the stock board or hobby grade electronics??
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
Powered by Awesome

"Waters bad mmmkay"

"If you do water, it'll die mmmkay"
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:32 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

lmao
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:49 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

the axles dont need to be water proofed.ive drivin mine to where the belly was touching the water and after that all i had to do was take the axles apert and wash all the little rocks that got into the axle. The circut boart CAN NOT go under water. If u do drive it under water and it stops DO NOT try backing up. if u do this ur board will be completly junk. if u just reach in and get it let it dry out you MIGHT have a chance of it goin in reverse but im not sure.
plyr2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:02 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

well i dont have much experience with waterproofing, but if you dont need to waterproof the axles, making a nylint completly submersible wouldnt be very hard. all you would need is maybe some small tubberwear. take the board out and put it inside, drill tiny holds and run the wires through, silicone the holes closed, mount it into the chassis (i have a custom chassis so idk if it will work in stock) and put the lid on

make sure the holes you drill in the tubberwear, if you do, make sure they are sealed, you probably could just velcro it or something. but yea, if your axles dont need to be waterproofed, im guessing that means the motors in the axles are fine in water, so that should mean after waterproofing the board, it should be fine for exploring the bottom of a pond !

oh yea, and if you can get your battery in the tubberwear, that would probably help, if not, silicone the connecter, or maybe just everytime you connected wrap it in a balloon and ziptie or something, idk, tape ? somethen will work :P
Vegerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:58 PM   #8

You'd need to somehow fab up some seals for the axles. That would be the hard part. Then seal up the electronics and wire passages.

I really don't believe you can run it underwater unsealed without bad consequences. Somebody got lucky
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:01 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Will covering your curcit board with hot glue or somthing like window sealint work? I might try it.
RIVERdude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:02 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver
You'd need to somehow fab up some seals for the axles. That would be the hard part. Then seal up the electronics and wire passages.

I really don't believe you can run it underwater unsealed without bad consequences. Somebody got lucky
i didnt drive the whole thing under water i drove it until the belly was touching maybe a little deeper. All i kno is that my friend and i both had our tires all the way under and aside from all the little rocks in the steering gears they were fine. Idc if u dont belive me but i kno its true and thats good enough
Old 05-11-2006, 05:24 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

i submerged my entire truck several times....and drove out each time. the last time it started acting funny....so i took it apart and smelt burnt pcb. let it sit overnight....and it worked the next morning...haha i'm thinking about just covering the entire board in some nice silicone...or, if i can find it, the stuff msd uses to cover their boards in their boxes
GSRswapandslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:53 PM   #12

There is really no problem with submerging the axles but i wouldnt go any further than the belly
drew22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:06 PM   #13

you do know that the motors are in the axle housings right?

i can't see them lasting if they're submerged. maybe once or twice then allowed to dry but i think the water would ruin the motors after an unspecified amount of time.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:21 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

maybe but im gunna e-mail nylint. My rear planetary is shot 1 gear inside it is completly round
Old 05-13-2006, 06:32 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyr2k
maybe but im gunna e-mail nylint. My rear planetary is shot 1 gear inside it is completly round

how did you round out the rear gears lol
R/C_rock_rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:41 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

i was just crawling in the back yard then it started to make funny noises and but the time i got it to me the rear end was just like a free wheel the motor was spinning but even in the air the tires wont spin