Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: no torque...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 02:07 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default no torque...

i just finished putting my wreckluse together after running in to many problems, and now i go to run it and it has minimal torque..

i have
motor: 55t integy
esc: novak super duty xr
battery:7.2 stick packs
trans:losi comp crawler 13t pinion
axles:rock force (30-1)

so it should be comparable to the losi comp crawler but my axles are 30-1 were as the losi's are 25-1 so it should be geared lower then a comp crawler.As for the pinion i went to a 13T and i believe 12T is the lowest the lcc trans allows.And from what im seeing a lcc with a 55t motor has no problem crawling so is there something wrong with my motor or something ? tho it worked fine in my rock force chassis.any input appreciated Thanks
xiteamxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2011, 04:09 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Well the thing is....... You got the wrong tranny lol that tranny is meant for worm axles not a normal axle, so it doesn't produce the reduction that it needs to create torque, if you went with a axial tranny, I bet you your problem would go away
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:44 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
Well the thing is....... You got the wrong tranny lol that tranny is meant for worm axles not a normal axle, so it doesn't produce the reduction that it needs to create torque, if you went with a axial tranny, I bet you your problem would go away
Pretty sure rock force axles are worm drive as well....
gr33nlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:45 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
FYI, the rock force axles are worm gear.

Motor could have worn brushes and need the comm cut.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post

Motor could have worn brushes and need the comm cut.
Most likely the case. I just smoked a 55t Integy over the weekend, it had broken a small piece of one of the brushes and wedged between the brush and the comm, locking the motor. Upon tear down I discovered the brushes, comm, and brush hood were discolored. Being without an immediate replacement I tried to polish the motor comm and brushes with my comm stick, not the best of ideas for those of you who don't know. Needless to say, the motor was smoked and would barely drive the crawler around at full throttle. It had NO torque, it would take off very slowly and then come up on half speed(@full throttle). I run a Holmes waterproof BRXL and it chimes fairly loudly through the motor when the esc is plugged in, but not through the smoked motor, it only made very faint chimes.
Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

yes the rock force axles are worm gear and a lower ratio then losi which is why it should have even more torque guess ill rip the motor apart and see if i see any thing that looks bad.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

It doesn't help you are still running Nicad batteries. Try 3s lipo if your ESC is compatible and if it can programmed, max out the power to the motor. Check your spur / pinion gear mesh / backlash, if its to tight it can make a motor seem sluggish.

Try cleaning your motor also.
DORK VADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr33nlemon View Post
Pretty sure rock force axles are worm drive as well....
Well I'll be damn I just learned something new today lol my bad on that
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DORK VADER View Post
It doesn't help you are still running Nicad batteries. Try 3s lipo if your ESC is compatible and if it can programmed, max out the power to the motor. Check your spur / pinion gear mesh / backlash, if its to tight it can make a motor seem sluggish.

Try cleaning your motor also.
He says stick packs not nicad. They very well could be nimh and on a brushed 55t still should be okay as long as properly taken care of. I can tell you I torn up plenty of monster truck drive trains running 2400 mah nicads and 3300 mah nimh packs on motors pulling much more than the integy 55t's.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Have you tried running the motor while it isnt attached to the trans? Does it work ok then?

Also can you spin the spur by hand? Is it smooth and bind free?
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

well the motor spun free when i had it out but you cant tell the torque when its not being restricted. So before i pulled it apart and every thing looked ok ?(haven't pulled many motors apart before) nothing burnt looking ect. So i sanded with very fine sand paper were the brushes touch and on the end of the brushes them self until it was clean looking copper again. Upon reassembly it didn't want to spin so loosened the screws and spun the end cap of the motor and it worked then ,but is spinning faster in one direction then the other noticeable like twice as fast in one direction compared to the other.Also it not gets hot now were as it never got hot when in my rock force and do to slow wheel speed i was full throttle 90% of the time.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #12
RCC Addict

If you sanded the commutator that is not good. It has to be machined smooth. IT should be a nice copper color. The brushes will be worn at when bad. Nothing should really be burnt although the comm will be rough and darkened when worn.

One other note is that worm gears tend to be really hard on brushed motors, which is why most use brushless with the losi's. I don't know much about the rock force though.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

well i put the armature in a drill press and held the sand paper still as for brush-less i would like to go that route but i though brushed motors have more torque and i have to do more research as to what turn 21 .17.5 ect would work not to familiar with brush less yet.

Tags
losi comp crawler, motor, rock force, torque, transmission