Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: exo questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default exo questions

I don't guess the EXO is really a crawler but I figure this would probably get the most traffic. I have been thinking about picking on up but after looking at the progression of my XR over the past 5-6 months i'm kinda scratching my head. On my XR the only thing that is really still XR is the axle housings. Every other part has been upgraded which means I have a ton of un-used shit. I know VP is about to start making some EXO parts but are there any other companies out there that make some quality products that are already out to address weaknesses? If so what would you suggest that I start out with? Just the basic kit, piece it together my self or just buy a used one that is already built. The third is what I am leaning towards but I don't see many going through the classifieds. Any opinions?
irokcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: exo questions

rcshortcourse.com.... there is an exo section...
brandonwalsh420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #3
RCC Addict

If you watch the classifieds here and on RCSC you will see them come up. I found one on craigslist. You'll always save a few buck if you can pick up a used one, provided it's not beat and you have to fix a bunch of stuff. But you'll miss the knowledge of building the kit. I bought an RTR and the first time I started to take it apart I realized that lack of knowledge.
STRC has quite a bit of afttermarket parts and GCM has a few also.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwalsh420 View Post
rcshortcourse.com.... there is an exo section...

definitaly some good reading over there for Exo info.

as for upgrades and weak points... the only one I have found is the motor mount (stock) you must be real gental with it. it does not like over tightening at all! other than that the only part I have broke so far was an "uprade" CVD from Axial and it turns out it was a manufacturer default, sent me a new set within a week

I do agree though, ge thte kit. that way you get to know the truck. everyone says the battery tray is a PITA to get too, I do not find it that hard. myself, I bought the kit... and well every single STRC upgrade on the market, add a couple of proline upgrades (slash power stroke shocks) and the CVDs and this thing is bulletproof. next add on for sure is the VP motor mount. I think that is some what of a must have. anyway that is my .02

get the kit and youll enjoy it for sure
baconCHDDRchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I really enjoyed building the kit after only making crawlers and trail rigs the last few years.
Like many others say about other vehicles, you don't "need" to upgrade anything till it breaks or wears out. I'm still running all stock after around 30 packs. The stock motor mount has held up just fine for me. Don't over tighten and use loctite. One thing you will lose right away is the rear skid, no biggie, it works fine without it.
Hobine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
I really enjoyed building the kit after only making crawlers and trail rigs the last few years.
Like many others say about other vehicles, you don't "need" to upgrade anything till it breaks or wears out. I'm still running all stock after around 30 packs. The stock motor mount has held up just fine for me. Don't over tighten and use loctite. One thing you will lose right away is the rear skid, no biggie, it works fine without it.
Good deal. I have a few ESC's floating around (well 4 MMP's but they are fried and I need to send them back to Castle) a couple brushed motors 35t but I think I want to go brushless on it and run 4S batts. As far as the servo would you say a hitec 7950 would be over kill? I should have an extra one of those here in the next few days along with a few 7955 and 7954's. I just need to give it a month so the wife doesn't kill me. This has been an addictive hobby to say the least.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I got an email from Tower Hobbies this morning, the kits are on sale for $199. Wish I had the cash...
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I would consider selling mine if you wanted one already built to the hilt.
Went a little overboard with the build like my wraith.
Got it with a couple runs on it then completely rebuilt it.
Have another set of panels for it I havnt installed yet besides the black.

transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by transambill View Post
I would consider selling mine if you wanted one already built to the hilt.
Went a little overboard with the build like my wraith.
Got it with a couple runs on it then completely rebuilt it.
Have another set of panels for it I havnt installed yet besides the black.

Shoot me a price via pm. I wouldn't need a rx either. I just spent a good bit of money on some brood vapor motors but might have enough mad money floating around.

Last edited by irokcrawl; 08-24-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #10

tower hobbies has the exo kit for 199.99 and I had a 30.00 coupon and free shipping just for anybody wants to know
JohnBoy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #11

Thinking of buying a exo the only thing that is stopping me is the battery place hear that is not easy to put the battery in
teck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck View Post
Thinking of buying a exo the only thing that is stopping me is the battery place hear that is not easy to put the battery in
If you have big hands it's a little tricky with the interior in. It's hot here so no interior in mine.
drywallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Hoping to get a lil wheel time behind one of these this weekend, a friend of mine just built one.
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by drywallguy View Post
If you have big hands it's a little tricky with the interior in. It's hot here so no interior in mine.
Haha ya i got big hands that what it stopping me from buying i do not want to wast time putting a battery in at playground

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy99 View Post
tower hobbies has the exo kit for 199.99 and I had a 30.00 coupon and free shipping just for anybody wants to know
Yes i also get the email from them they are selling exo at 199.99 use the discount coupon for better price the Rtr set is out of stock

Last edited by THX_138; 01-07-2016 at 10:19 PM.
teck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I second the tower hobbies deal. I checked and they are at 199 with a $20 discount on orders over $150 on their website. I'm a super saver member so I got free shipping too. Should see mine in about a week. Got a castle sct sidewinder and 3800 waiting for it. Ckrc also has it for about 199. But no extra discount or free shipping. Can't wait.
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Leave the interrior out of it and you will have no issues with batteries!!! If you really want the interrior (watch temps) then when you install your esc make sure the batt wires are long enough to come outside the cage so your you don't have to ask a kid to hook up your batt for ya!!!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote

exo questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EXO Video Series: Build the EXO Page by page FastEddy Non Crawler RC's 14 05-08-2012 09:45 AM
my EXO expat1970 Non Crawler RC's 0 02-07-2012 08:10 PM
Questions questions questions quest qowirnl RYY Newbie General 11 10-04-2006 08:18 PM
questions about exo tubing ToTheMAXXcrawler Tools, and Procedures 2 06-29-2006 09:21 PM