Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: If you were going to build a 2.2 class MOA what would you start with

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default If you were going to build a 2.2 class MOA what would you start with

And why? Losi LCC, XR10, something from RC4WD's lineup, or would you build something custom from the ground up? There are so may options out there and I would like to see what people like
Hitman Cody2130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
20K Club

Default Re: If you were going to build a 2.2 class MOA what would you start with

Nationals is this weekend. I would bet the top 5 is 100% Axial and Berg.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: If you were going to build a 2.2 class MOA what would you start with

Until something crazy new comes out that is faster, lighter, stronger, and cheaper. Berg and xr10 are probably good starting points.
Grimreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I don't know if this will answer you but the Axial XR10 would be the go. They sell that cheap out of the box and a few simple upgrades can be made as a starting point. Yes they have issues but all models do and as there are so many companies that make after market and custom parts available.
Unless you throw big dollars straight up at any rig and have some luck you won't win straight up. However I believe on a local level you can be competitive and have fun.

Although I might seem biased for example a stock axial with just BWD lower high clearance Wedge links and your choice of uppers will improve ground clearance on a basic XR10. In the case of a BWD XR10 Wedge works well with the majority of stock parts without major changes required. There are other brands that work with a relitavly stock setup also.

The losi though I have never owned is a great rig there isn't as much off the shelf gear available to them. Bergs are great also and is a generalisation, but they are custom built, where an XR10 comes with an instruction manual so for a beginner it gives a good guide to how it goes together etc.

Ben.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
Oz Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Good to know, I like the XR10 but if I was going to build a 2.2 comp machine I think I would build something custom from the ground up based on the XR10.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman Cody2130 View Post
Good to know, I like the XR10 but if I was going to build a 2.2 comp machine I think I would build something custom from the ground up based on the XR10.
I would just buy the XR-10 housings and go from there. That's about the only thing left from my XR-10 kit.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Bruiser View Post
I don't know if this will answer you but the Axial XR10 would be the go. They sell that cheap out of the box and a few simple upgrades can be made as a starting point. Yes they have issues but all models do and as there are so many companies that make after market and custom parts available.
Unless you throw big dollars straight up at any rig and have some luck you won't win straight up. However I believe on a local level you can be competitive and have fun.

Although I might seem biased for example a stock axial with just BWD lower high clearance Wedge links and your choice of uppers will improve ground clearance on a basic XR10. In the case of a BWD XR10 Wedge works well with the majority of stock parts without major changes required. There are other brands that work with a relitavly stock setup also.

The losi though I have never owned is a great rig there isn't as much off the shelf gear available to them. Bergs are great also and is a generalisation, but they are custom built, where an XR10 comes with an instruction manual so for a beginner it gives a good guide to how it goes together etc.

Ben.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
Totally agreeable. I did have an LCC and it was either turn it into an MOA or go with an XR10. Not a tough decision in my eyes. The LCC's are a good rig, but just limited to their capabilities without dumping a lot of money in them.

And yes the XR's do have issues that need addressed like any other rig. I think that deters a lot of folks, but it doesn't take much to get them working good. No matter what is purchased, it will not quite satisfy straight out of the box. My money goes on an XR10. Not because I own one now, but because I owned and LCC and have crawled with Bergs, have crawled with Creepers and AX10's which I know are shafty's, but still a crawler. Not to mention the tons of mods and aftermarket parts available for the XR10.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Start out with $1500 - $2000, then go from there...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #9

great topic guys. for sure will be watching this as i too am looking at getting into crawling.
jdobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Start out with $1500 - $2000, then go from there...
Wow, that is a lot more than I was thinking it would cost to build one...but I could see that if you were not going to reuse a radio and batteries. From the little bit of research I have done it looks like I could build an XR10 for 700-800 dollars and have it be competitive in the class as long as I could drive it well enough lol. But at that price I was planning on using a shared radio and batteries From my ax10
Old 09-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #11
RCC Addict

You don't need a rig that cost over $500 dollars to be competitive. I know I am gonna piss some people off I'm sure, but half the VP products that are put on some of these rigs are not absolutely needed. There just there for show off material IMO. Yeah some VP goodies do improve the overall performance like their knuckles and wheels, but there are other companies and other options that are less exspensive and work just as well. If you can't drive it, then all that expensive bling is pointless. Get yourself a good starter for cheap and slowly find it's weak points. Then look into every possible option to make it better. I have a friend who has maybe $400 in his pretty much stock XR and finishes in the top 3 nearly everytime. It's cause he knows how to drive it. When I first got mine all I heard is "You need RC4WD gears, VP axle tops and VP rear link mounts to keep the gears good" Bull! I'm all stock in the rear except for the bearing mod, bushing mod and screw mod and it's in destructible. And it hardly cost me anything. Don't be afraid to buy used either.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedtoRC1 View Post
You don't need a rig that cost over $500 dollars to be competitive. I know I am gonna piss some people off I'm sure, but half the VP products that are put on some of these rigs are not absolutely needed. There just there for show off material IMO. Yeah some VP goodies do improve the overall performance like their knuckles and wheels, but there are other companies and other options that are less exspensive and work just as well. If you can't drive it, then all that expensive bling is pointless. Get yourself a good starter for cheap and slowly find it's weak points. Then look into every possible option to make it better. I have a friend who has maybe $400 in his pretty much stock XR and finishes in the top 3 nearly everytime. It's cause he knows how to drive it. When I first got mine all I heard is "You need RC4WD gears, VP axle tops and VP rear link mounts to keep the gears good" Bull! I'm all stock in the rear except for the bearing mod, bushing mod and screw mod and it's in destructible. And it hardly cost me anything. Don't be afraid to buy used either.
Kinda what I was thinking, once I get access to the bst forum I will be looking there to get a good deal, really hoping to get something that my daughter and I can build together. But for the most part I am going to skip the VP parts until I start breaking stuff.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:15 AM   #13
RCC Addict

IMO it's worth it to pay the $20 to gain access to it. You'll save that much within a couple of purchases. Honestly the most expensive piece on my rig is the chassis and that I didn't pay full price for. If I were to be paid the state minimum here in PA ($7.15/hr) for the hours I put in on research, building, tuning and just driving, I'm over $2,000 easy. That is sensible money.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I have an xr 10, it is good when it works but it takes a lot of money and right now my gears broke and my bearing went even after I did the 9mm mod and bought avid bearings for it. I don't think I want to dump any more money into it, so I am kinda at a standstill. Just keep this in mind when deciding.
Krawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman Cody2130 View Post
I was planning on using a shared radio and batteries From my ax10
This is a good idea,

keep in mind that the XR10 has very little room for a battery. About the biggest battery you can fit in the chassis or on the axle is an 1100mah, and because the XR10 is gear reduction most guys run a 3s LiPo and 35t motors to get the speed they like. So depending on what you run in your AX10, you may need to get a few different batteries for the XR10. I use 800mah in my XR10, I buy the cheep $11 dollar ones and I have four of them so I can run back to back to back....almost all day.

The XR10 will need a 3-channel radio , and some type of dig unit to make the dig work. I like the punk dig and Tekin FXR esc. I'm currently running two Tekin FXR's on A four channel radio, so I can control each motor independent. This helps me under drive or over drive the front axle at the push of a button and over all gives me better control of the truck.

The options are endless, over all it would probably be smarter to spend most of the money up front on the electronics and make the truck work correctly. Then just replace the parts as you break them. One thing I can say is a bearing to bushing mod on an XR is a must.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

For the radio I am planning on using either the flysky gt3c or one of the RC4WD 4 channel ones. For the esc I am leaning towards a Novak M2 dig. I like the simplicity of only running 1 esc. Beyond that I have not thought too much about it, for the time being I am focused on getting my Ax10 done as I want it.

If you were going to build a 2.2 class MOA what would you start with - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
xr 10 a good start in the moa wolrd vito Axial XR10 12 02-15-2011 02:17 PM