RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   Trouble with dyeing delrin (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/408814-trouble-dyeing-delrin.html)

Krawler23 10-20-2012 05:13 PM

Trouble with dyeing delrin

Alright I have read/watched a bunch of stuff regarding dyeing delrin, but can't seem to get mine to take. I have seen some delrin that has been dyed super vibrant and it looks great but mine is just real light.It seems real red but after I wash it off it's just a real light red, I have done this probably for an hour and haven't really had any progress. I used liquid rit dye, a little salt and just mixed it every so often, but like I said it isn't really working, any thoughts?

CREEPERBOB 10-20-2012 05:19 PM

Re: Trouble with dyeing delrin

I just went through this.
Use the powder and make it pretty strong dilution, bring the dye with salt to a boil then put the delrin in the solution with the heat off and let it soak untill you get the color you want. If it does'nt get dark enough for you take the parts out, bring the dye back up to a boil and do it again. The liquid dye just does'nt do it , the powder dye does "thumbsup", good luck.

Krawler23 10-20-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB (Post 3975609)
I just went through this.
Use the powder and make it pretty strong dilution, bring the dye with salt to a boil then put the delrin in the solution with the heat off and let it soak untill you get the color you want. If it does'nt get dark enough for you take the parts out, bring the dye back up to a boil and do it again. The liquid dye just does'nt do it , the powder dye does "thumbsup", good luck.

I really appreciate the response, why not just leave the heat on?

Duuuuuuuude 10-20-2012 05:51 PM

It also depends on what type of acetal it is and who makes it. Different formulas take color better than others. I typically dye everything black, using powdered Rit, and I've had results that ranged from a nice solid black at the very best, a marble effect somewhere in the middle range, to a light tan at the worst.

I ordered two different sized acetal rods from Fastenal, both had different manufacturers. When the time came to dye them, one size took color better than the other.

Unfortunately I don't handle the stuff enough to tell you which is best.

TEDROCKZ 10-20-2012 06:55 PM

I done these wheels a good while back. It takes a while to get the dye to penetrate deep.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires...ng-series.html

Krawler23 10-20-2012 07:00 PM

It must just be my delrin, I got it from McMaster, I could only get it to a light red after about 2 hrs, I was hoping for a real deep red. I'll leave it in over night and see what happens.

Duuuuuuuude 10-20-2012 07:02 PM

2 hours. Wanted black, got this. Not happy.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2hdvasz.jpg

Krawler23 10-20-2012 07:04 PM

Did you just do those? Same with mine two hours and same thing only with red.

redrokin00XJ 10-20-2012 07:07 PM

I used the powder and left it at a nice simmer for around an hour and mine came out black as can be. I also added a titch of salt to it

Duuuuuuuude 10-20-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krawler23 (Post 3975771)
Did you just do those? Same with mine two hours and same thing only with red.

A year ago I think. Its been a while.

FYI: not all acetal is Delrin. Delrin is a Dupont brand name for their own acetal formula.

redrokin00XJ 10-20-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krawler23 (Post 3975600)
Alright I have read/watched a bunch of stuff regarding dyeing delrin, but can't seem to get mine to take. I have seen some delrin that has been dyed super vibrant and it looks great but mine is just real light.It seems real red but after I wash it off it's just a real light red, I have done this probably for an hour and haven't really had any progress. I used liquid rit dye, a little salt and just mixed it every so often, but like I said it isn't really working, any thoughts?

The liquid is where you went wrong. The small box in a powder and use as little water as possable

Krawler23 10-20-2012 07:22 PM

I did change to powder but it still didn't really do much.

Krawler23 10-21-2012 06:32 PM

Does anyone know where to get colored delrin sheet?

Duuuuuuuude 10-21-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krawler23 (Post 3977229)
Does anyone know where to get colored delrin sheet?

It only comes in two colors...black and white.

Scratch that...looky here...

Colored Acetal - Delrin Rod | Industrial Plastic Supply, Inc.

Be prepared to open your wallet. Once place I looked at wanted $250 for a foot of blue 2.5" rod.