Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: u-joint popping out of driveshaft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default u-joint popping out of driveshaft

I am running these traxxas shafts with metal yokes and recently have been having problems with the u-joint popping out of the end of the shaft on the tranny end. I thought maybe it was just an old shaft and was worn out so I swapped in a new end and still popped it out twice today. I just put in the crawlmaster brushless so that doesn't help and it does pop before I break anything but it gets annoying have to pull the driveshaft off every few minutes.
Am I the only one having this problem? Is there a way around it?

If I swap to these shafts and setup that bender is running will I still end up with the same problem? The pins for the u-joint do appear to stick out more.
TxCruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

I frequently have to recenter my pins on the yokes.

They somehow move a little, and I'd pop a shaft.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
MODERHATER™

I think you show using Pede shafts, I use the same. If you are overpowered or real low geared they will pop off easily, a slipper can help with that. I rarely pop mine off but I like them as a weak link, easier to replace a shaft than a pinion or ring gear!

Are you using the metal yokes with them? Yes you are....

If you switch to Maxx drive line they will wobble a little which is no biggie. If you drill the pinion you should never have a issue with them.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I think I'm going to try to clamp the driveshaft yoke to keep the u-joint in there better for now and then if it continues to happen too often then I'll swap to some bigger shafts. If they would pop out at the axle end where it is easier to get to then I wouldn't mind but it is such a PITA to get to at the tranny end, specially since it is always the front.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:11 PM   #5
MODERHATER™

One thing I have noticed is mine only pop off if the driveline angle gets in a bad bind while I have ahold of the power unit, did you check that?

It is a good idea to try and make some type of clamp to keep them from spreading.

If you get a SW3 it is real easy to get to the screws then!
Old 06-16-2007, 06:18 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I have those ones on my Txt when they pop out put them back in then get a pair of plyers and squeeze them tight so they are pushed fully in. Mine don't pop out no more but now I twist the entire shaft really easy I am running a 65t lathe motor with a gd600 and 15t pinion.
Moondust1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:13 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I had a problem with the pins working out of the yokes too. I run a 65t lathe 90 spur and 12 pinion. my crawler also sits up high, so I get marks on the shafts where the yokes get into them. Three of the four yokes used to work the pins out until the shaft popped or twisted off. It has not happened since I replaced all of the yokes.
fatbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 03:22 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Can't you put a dab of glue over the hole for the pin (while the pin is installed) so it doesn't work it's way out? The glue will act as a "cover" or "cap" for the pins. When it comes time to remove the pin, scrape off the surface glue and out it comes. I had a problem with pins coming out on a radio shack 4x4 buggy car that i had in the past. It was designed pretty much the same as the traxxas shafts. I just put a drop of ca glue right on the pin's tip covering the hole and it never came out. Perhaps hot glue smeared over it will be better.

Last edited by muddeprived; 06-17-2007 at 03:24 AM.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:33 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCruzr View Post
I think I'm going to try to clamp the driveshaft yoke to keep the u-joint in there better for now and then if it continues to happen too often then I'll swap to some bigger shafts. ...
I am running a hybrid shaft in my super, but it could possibly be used in the same principal in a smaller truck. I am using 2.5 maxx tranny yokes that were shaved, and revo axle shafts for drive shafts. I was going to use the revo u-joints since they are held together with e-clips, but they wouldn't fit right with the maxx parts. The pin was too long. To solve this I am using a bolt with a nylock nut as the pin. I am sure this is really not clear, but it's the best I can do with out pics.
clemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:54 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Mebbe there's a washer or something like ppl use on the RC18T outdrives... I've seen ppl using the brass crush washers, like used in fittings, over the outdrives to keep them from opening and dropping a drive bone... There's p'robly one out there that'll fit over the yokes to hold the pins in...
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:33 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
I frequently have to recenter my pins on the yokes.

They somehow move a little, and I'd pop a shaft.
I had the same problem so i just had a hole in thje pinion shaft that comes out of the axles. it works great.
Bam Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:55 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

When you say "recenter the pin" it sounds like the shafts you are using has a removable pin the the ball. In the metal traxxas yoke, the pins are part of the ball and can't be removed. You have to pry the plastic driveshaft yoke over the pins in the ball. So when everything is in a bind and the tranny is still turning buy not the axle, the tranny yoke keeps turning and prys the balls pins out of the plastic yoke. I might try a dab of CA on there but since the pins are being pry'd out and not simply falling out, I don't think the CA will hold up to the force.
The pins really just need to be a tad longer or be able to tack weld a tiny little tack ontop of the pin so it can't go back through the same hole but thats going to be impossible with the already on the plastic yoke.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:18 AM   #13
MODERATOR™

Yep, I've been using the metal yokes for a long time now.

The pins are supposed to be fixed, yes, but they still move around a little bit. You can push them out completely if you try.

Should be fixed in place, but they aren't.

Might not be your problem though.

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 11:49 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I didn't know that, I'll have to go check that out, thanks!
Old 06-17-2007, 11:57 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

i have a crawler system in a txt trans with the metal yokes and it spits those cross pins right out, i ended up wrapping electric tape around the joints. i'm going to try tapping the ujoints and using a threaded shaft and some thread lock or screws on either side.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #16
MODERHATER™

Theres an idea, push the pin out, drill it out, tap it and put a screw with washers through the joint...... I think I like that!
Old 06-17-2007, 12:17 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

me too, I need to see what all I have laying around....that is a great idea
Old 06-17-2007, 12:42 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

you can take a zip tie and put it over them and pull it tight as s@%t!, idk it works for me
Turblankas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:10 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

These are the joints that I am running, but they are a bit big for the maxx shafts. That's where the revo shaft came into play.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...L=++&search=Go
clemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:13 PM   #20

Default Re: u-joint popping out of driveshaft

I've been putting the pins in the driveshafts with a dab of epoxy and that seems to help it from shifting.
High Angle Five is offline   Reply With Quote