RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   Pillow Ball Restricting Flex (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/582346-pillow-ball-restricting-flex.html)

MAGNUMB 03-27-2017 08:16 AM

Pillow Ball Restricting Flex

What is recommended to free up tight pillow balls?
I've tried heating them and spinning them with a drill and I've also tried polishing the pillow ball itself. Any other options?

Natedog 03-27-2017 03:43 PM

Re: Pillow Ball Restricting Flex

What brand/model are parts for/from, picture? The 'window' or hole that pillow ball shank mounts through is usually a limiting factor too. However, if that hole is too large, it will pull through much easier.

JatoTheRipper 03-27-2017 04:03 PM

Why did you create a separate thread instead of responding here???

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools...ml#post5688112

EeePee 03-27-2017 07:25 PM

Set screws in the links and rod ends could be too tight. No idea what truck it is.

MAGNUMB 03-28-2017 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5688150)
Why did you create a separate thread instead of responding here???

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools...ml#post5688112

Found those after I posted this and thought it fit better within the tool thread. I ordered them but probably won't arrive for a few weeks. I'll update this thread after I try them it out. Using it for the 3&4 link TF2 link set. Some of them are super tight and will for sure affect the handling.

Highmark 03-28-2017 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EeePee (Post 5688236)
Set screws in the links and rod ends could be too tight. No idea what truck it is.

Yeah, I would definitely bet on that being the culprit. Especially if they don't loosen up after the first run.

BigSki 03-28-2017 07:24 PM

You want some resistance when they're new, they will get sloppy all too quick on their own.

MAGNUMB 03-30-2017 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSki (Post 5688716)
You want some resistance when they're new, they will get sloppy all too quick on their own.

Not sure that will be the case with mine as I also tried spinning the pillow ball in the link with a drill using a heat gun and then tried polish compound and only found slight improvement. With other links I found using pliers to squeeze and stretch the plastic worked but not with these.

Maybe I'm a little too concerned as it's only a crawler....used to race 2wd buggy and found that tight links negatively affect handling and I'm used to making sure everything is "free". Probably won't matter as much with a 8-9lb rig:)

Robbob 03-30-2017 01:06 PM

If theyre brand new link ends I always put the pillow in then squish the ball end with a pair of pliers. Frees them right up right away for me.

But what kind of truck? You putting matching brands and sizes in there? Some may look the same but even a few thousands make as difference.

84yoda 03-30-2017 02:45 PM

I like mine tight. I hate when there loose and floppy. :mrgreen:

But on a serious note, there's no way there that tight and restricting flex. You sure your using the right ones together like robbob said?

cabron 03-30-2017 03:52 PM

84yoda
use poly grip

the difference between a young prostitute and an old prostitute is that
the young pro will use Vaseline and the older pro will use poly grip

TacoCrawler 03-30-2017 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EeePee (Post 5688236)

...your response confuses me even further.

I was wondering if the OP is talking about plastic ball ends or the shock's cap (eye mount) ?

I've seen where many over tighten a link's rod thread insert too far into a plastic ball end
and can deform the plastic eye causing the ball to bind.

Either I'm lacking with in nomenclature or this discussion has me confused.
I thought that pillow ball mounts were located at the top and thru the shock's cap eye ?

OP what shocks and what pillow balls are being utilized ?
How tight are those in the eye ?

I'm thinking they would loosen up after some use/break in !?

further clarification will set me straight.

EeePee 03-30-2017 05:55 PM

Either one really, squeeze your balls to tight and they'll deform.

:ror:

TacoCrawler 03-30-2017 05:59 PM

^ Lol sounds like that hurts

84yoda 03-30-2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TacoCrawler (Post 5689794)
further clarification will set me straight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAGNUMB (Post 5688516)
Using it for the 3&4 link TF2 link set. Some of them are super tight and will for sure affect the handling.

"thumbsup"

BigSki 03-30-2017 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAGNUMB (Post 5689552)
Not sure that will be the case with mine as I also tried spinning the pillow ball in the link with a drill using a heat gun and then tried polish compound and only found slight improvement. With other links I found using pliers to squeeze and stretch the plastic worked but not with these.

Maybe I'm a little too concerned as it's only a crawler....used to race 2wd buggy and found that tight links negatively affect handling and I'm used to making sure everything is "free". Probably won't matter as much with a 8-9lb rig:)

I'd have to agree, they do sound way too tight. When I used to make my own links, I found that it was possible to thread the rod end on too far, the link end would bottom out into the pocket where the metal ball end goes, making it next to impossible to get the ball to move. I think this is what EeePee was trying to explain.

TacoCrawler 03-30-2017 07:16 PM

^ 8) guess I missed that :oops:

then EeePee's ball end, eye deformation theory is likely spot on.

OP... back out the threaded inserts, threaded into the ball ends slightly and see if that might loosen up the balls enough to move more freely.

Tho' it's possible the ball ends have become permanently deformed and will require purchasing new ball ends to rectify.

But ya might get lucky and is all you'll need to do.

BigSki 03-30-2017 07:22 PM

I always use Revo rod ends and I could still run a rod end down too far and cause the ball to bind up. You'd think I would have learned to not put too many threads on the end of the link....:lmao:

TacoCrawler 03-30-2017 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSki (Post 5689843)
You'd think I would have learned to not put too many threads on the end of the link....:lmao:

I was thinking that :razz:

badhoopty 03-30-2017 07:51 PM

i do it every once in awhile... especially on buggies with turnbuckles and ball cups like rc10 buggies.