Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock 'n roll....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2020, 03:23 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock 'n roll....

Complete overhaul on my Wraith, and will get the electronics started next week. Stuck between Hobbywing crawler setup and Holmes...

That said, from what I have learned here ( many thanks to all ) and some spending with Vanquish RC, MIP, Axial, and others, the Wraith Spawn is really coming alive. Easily walks up lines the stock setup never got more than a few feet off the ground.

SteveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2020, 04:32 PM   #2

Default Re: It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock 'n roll....

Nice pics! It looks like there's plenty of interesting stuff to climb. The last picture looks like it's easier slab work coming down.
Halfshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:42 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfshaft View Post
Nice pics! It looks like there's plenty of interesting stuff to climb. The last picture looks like it's easier slab work coming down.

Yeah, went up the far right side and came down the left. I chickened out coming down at first, so made another run and came back down, but still further to the left of the climb. Could spend all day on this one rock. That said, the rock is about 40' high and about 100 yards long...

Had it stand up at one point during the climb and about crapped myself. It's a long tumble down..!

s
Old 04-12-2020, 11:34 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Looks like fun and some good tire gripping there lol.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:24 AM   #5

I love your photos. And I love the color scheme of that Spawn. I like every one I see on IG.

Does anybody know of a paint color that matches that body?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:41 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks..! I appreciate it. I'm not sure on the color, just "came with the frame" kind of thing. Wife is my photographer,and she does a great job. Can't believe she even goes on these goofy adventures.

I don't feel inclined to sticker it up with logos; I like the way it looks.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:00 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Love it. I’m a minimalist on RC stickers. If you can find one, the Spyder interior will fit inside the Spawn body.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:51 AM   #8

The wheels and links on your ride are badass.
Thedesertplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 01:28 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB1 View Post
Thanks..! I appreciate it. I'm not sure on the color, just "came with the frame" kind of thing. Wife is my photographer,and she does a great job. Can't believe she even goes on these goofy adventures.

I don't feel inclined to sticker it up with logos; I like the way it looks.
Still trying to get the wife involved, with any aspect of it

Honestly, the white with minimal stickers looks super clean and crisp. especially against the red rocks!

My last couple and current F350's (1:1) were white, so I think my next build will be white. I just think it looks super clean.

My big truck build (1/6'ish), is going to be a gun metal/black combo. We'll see what my next 1/10 scale brings.

Keep up the awesome crawling and keep that young lady involved
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:22 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Right on guys! Thanks for the kind words. We have been making the best of this virus situation, and with the weather perfect in the southwest, it's quite nice to be out in the desert.

I never thought I'd be hauling camera equipment when out running my crawler, but getting the photos is half the fun.

Got a few more small items on the way from Scaler Fab and will post them when installed.

Will head back to this spot hopefully this weekend. Servo is about dead, so time for another round of upgrades.

Take care, stay strong, crawl on..!
Old 04-14-2020, 10:48 AM   #11
Slow is the new Fast

yeah, no doubt the pics are top-shelf. You appear to have some fantastic terrain for the 2.2 rig. Thanks for posting them up.

The Spawn Wraith is a fun rig, you have done yours up beautifully.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 01:09 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Thanks..!

We are very fortunate here in the southwest, but ask me again in July and I will probably curse the heat. On my planter box in the back yard, I set a digital thermometer on the blocks and it reads 140 'F So I'm not sure how much mid-day crawling will be done.

This was quite a tricky climb.

Old 04-16-2020, 12:21 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for Sharing.
whats the overhaul details?

Rig looks great! , great pic's
Glad to see old schooler Wraith.
missing my wraith a bit now.

that's iT! I'm going crawling tomorrow

sucks this sport has died so much
How can we get it back
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:04 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Greetings,

I got into RC due to a bad mountain bike accident that had me ( still has me ) with limited use of my left arm. I started with a SCT 1/10 scale in January, and got my first crawler ( this Wraith Spawn ) this past March.

As much as I love me SCT, crawling has really captured my interest. I find it the most "accessible" of all the RC car variations.

I'm hoping that more people discover the hobby, and this website has been an invaluable resource for me. I believe the RTR's are key to keeping this sport growing. A quality RTR will get someone like me into this to see if they like the hobby.

For me, after the first outing with the RTR Wraith Spawn, I was completely hooked. So, with all of the information here, this is where I'm at now on the build:

Starting with Wraith Spawn:

VQ Everything. OCP axles, VFD stuff, gears, ss links, just about every item they offer. 3 sets of their wheels. MIP HD drive line kit. A smattering of SSD items, some Robinson Racing parts, FE bearings.

Basically the body, roll cage, transmission housing, and electronics are stock. Nothing else is.

I have a Savox 2290 SG waiting and trying to finish up the Homes Hobbies Crawlmaster Pro 550 / 12t motor and esc deal. Will move to 3s with that.

Pro Line scaler shocks.

Just got in some Scaler Fab sliders and new front bumper; will install those today. Waiting for the new Spektrum 2100 receiver to match to my DX5 Pro transmitter.

So, $350 for a RTR and another $2000 in parts...
Old 04-25-2020, 06:33 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Natures finest on display for sure. Amazing rig and location!
kurpis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:49 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB1 View Post
Greetings,

I got into RC due to a bad mountain bike accident that had me ( still has me ) with limited use of my left arm. I started with a SCT 1/10 scale in January, and got my first crawler ( this Wraith Spawn ) this past March.

As much as I love me SCT, crawling has really captured my interest. I find it the most "accessible" of all the RC car variations.

I'm hoping that more people discover the hobby, and this website has been an invaluable resource for me. I believe the RTR's are key to keeping this sport growing. A quality RTR will get someone like me into this to see if they like the hobby.

For me, after the first outing with the RTR Wraith Spawn, I was completely hooked. So, with all of the information here, this is where I'm at now on the build:

Starting with Wraith Spawn:

VQ Everything. OCP axles, VFD stuff, gears, ss links, just about every item they offer. 3 sets of their wheels. MIP HD drive line kit. A smattering of SSD items, some Robinson Racing parts, FE bearings.

Basically the body, roll cage, transmission housing, and electronics are stock. Nothing else is.

I have a Savox 2290 SG waiting and trying to finish up the Homes Hobbies Crawlmaster Pro 550 / 12t motor and esc deal. Will move to 3s with that.

Pro Line scaler shocks.

Just got in some Scaler Fab sliders and new front bumper; will install those today. Waiting for the new Spektrum 2100 receiver to match to my DX5 Pro transmitter.

So, $350 for a RTR and another $2000 in parts...
i had a vary similer story to yours so i completely understand were your coming from the only axial parts left on the spawn befor i tore it down for a rework was the skid plate shocks and electronics box the trans case was replaced with a stock piece the only stock parts going back on would be a interior and a new skid plate

from that point i figured buying kits was a waist of money and just went to scratch building my rigs

i always realy liked the spawn body and i like the pearl white color too alot better than the gray version that was running around for a while lol

i always thought the spawn would look realy good on 1.9s so thats were im going with the rebuild
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote

It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock 'n roll.... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suzuki Samurai Long WB Soft Top RCtouring 1.9 Scale Rigs 27 07-06-2019 07:18 AM
Wanna build a top notch Pro class crawler? Zarizi Tech General Crawlers 3 05-28-2017 07:09 PM
Wraith cage from scratch - tube frame top vs roll cage top? phillyb Axial Wraith 3 12-20-2013 06:50 PM
RC Trail Crawling - a long way to the top JC CRAWLER Videos! 4 10-10-2011 07:41 AM