Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 2019 Holiday season R/C crawler shopping... What's everyone thinking?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2019, 08:26 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default 2019 Holiday season R/C crawler shopping... What's everyone thinking?

Instead of posting directly in the Capra thread(s), I thought it might be interesting to hear what people are mulling over purchasing by the end of the year, whether it be a new release - or something that's been out for a while...

Myself, I just can't decide ahead of time what I want, as far as which "2019 holiday-release" vehicle I am possibly going to purchase. So, no pre-orders from me, most likely.

I keep bouncing back and forth between three options...

The Capra - It's very important to me that I like the looks of the vehicle, and I'm not certain I like the overall appearance that much (it's mainly the droop-nosed look from the side that bothers me), or the fact that I need to pick up new LiPos for it, but I'm pretty sure it'll perform very well as a technical crawler - better than anything I have. I confess I am also a little worried about the portal housing strength at the 4 outer assembly screw holes. But there will be aftermarket out the wazoo - that's a given!

Or (I know, I know...) going for the RC4WD C2X. I've never had a hardbody and I realize that there are limitations performance-wise, but it does appeal to me more every time I look at it in action.Because of the additional weight of the hardbody and full interior, it cycles through its suspension in a way that I like. Needs some immediate changes made, but just minor stuff for my purposes. I'd sell off the wheels, tires, and electronics (and that godawful front bumper, if I could get rid of it!). I'd also be painting part of the body to make it not look exactly like the RTR. It looks much better than stock pictures indicate even with just the supplied decals installed.

Lastly, not getting a complete vehicle, but throwing more money at the Vanquish chassis I bought to make a complete brand-mashup vehicle out of it - possibly using SSD portal axles, maybe just at the rear, which several people have done or are doing - and using either the upcoming new Carisma Subaru Brat body or the likewise upcoming new MST Toyota J45C - they are both 313mm wheelbase. I have a set of new SSD Pro44s already that I bought from a member and I have all the hop-up Enduro transmission parts, just need the case and some bearings, and then driveshafts and links.

So - I'm gonna chill out and see how all these new releases go, wait for the reviews here and elsewhere and watch the unboxing and build stuff, and sit on my hands until I just can't stand it any longer - and try to make an informed decision!

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2019, 08:46 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 2019 Holiday season R/C crawler shopping... What's everyone thinking?

I wasn't very excited about the Capra myself at first, but the more the hype builds, I'll admit, the more I'm leaning towards a preorder. Pretty sure I'll have one in my cart by the end of the week.

On top of that, I plan a Brazin Scale All Time Low build. I'm also thinking of the SSD portals but haven't locked in yet and probably going with a Cheez Burger tranny. Other than that, it's still in the planning stages.
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:23 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2019 Holiday season R/C crawler shopping... What's everyone thinking?

Already got the Capra on order, already have the Element kit, I love my Marlin, so the C2X is a definite maybe? But for $500.00, I might talk myself into waiting and se if Axial drops the SXC10 III on us toward Christmas time.

No interest in the Vanguish, just don’t see the performance or value personally.

I still don’t have a TRX4 Sport Kit yet, so...🤔

Or maybe something someone else post will get my attention.

Great time to be a Crawler.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:12 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
I might talk myself into waiting and se if Axial drops the SXC10 III on us toward Christmas time.
Oooooh...

punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:18 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Axial Capra
Kyosho Turbo Optima
Kyosho Ultima
Kyosho Outlaw Rampage Pro
MST Toyota J45C body
MST JP1 Body
Prusa MK3S
Parts, Electronics, and more Parts.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:34 PM   #6

I like the thought of the Axial SCX-10 III. Can you imagine!!!
crawlnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:19 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I usually think entirely too long (months, sometimes years) about it, and have my plans pretty much figured out long before I make my first purchase. Then I take forever assembling it (months), step back for awhile (a few more months), start an entirely different build, a new model gets released, then come back and finish the first one. That method has not been very gratifying. Nothing like showing up to a meet and getting comments about your "old school" rig... that you just finally finished building.

I've been following along with the teasers for the Capra and really liked what I saw. I skipped over the whole TRX4 craze. I thought about it, but after a whole 2 days I went against my usual process and said heck with it and pre-ordered the thing! I'm gonna try really hard to not overthink this kit and build it (nearly) box stock and just get it up and running while it's still a new model. I'll "borrow" electronics, tires, and wheels from my other cars for now while I feel things out, throw a simple 2 tone paint job on the panels and just try to get some use/enjoyment out of it.

So there it is. I already have my holiday want list ordered, I may even take this opportunity to try to clear out some old projects and seldom used cars while I wait for the new kit to arrive. Or I'll think about it for a few more months!

Durok: the Capra cage looks like it's just begging for a chopped up truck body to be wrapped around it. I've never been a 'Yota guy, but a sectioned hardbody Hilux would look sick on there. AFTER I get mine up and running, I may look into grafting a Sumo body over it.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:42 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I usually think entirely too long (months, sometimes years) about it, and have my plans pretty much figured out long before I make my first purchase. Then I take forever assembling it (months), step back for awhile (a few more months), start an entirely different build, a new model gets released, then come back and finish the first one. That method has not been very gratifying. Nothing like showing up to a meet and getting comments about your "old school" rig... that you just finally finished building.

I've been following along with the teasers for the Capra and really liked what I saw. I skipped over the whole TRX4 craze. I thought about it, but after a whole 2 days I went against my usual process and said heck with it and pre-ordered the thing! I'm gonna try really hard to not overthink this kit and build it (nearly) box stock and just get it up and running while it's still a new model. I'll "borrow" electronics, tires, and wheels from my other cars for now while I feel things out, throw a simple 2 tone paint job on the panels and just try to get some use/enjoyment out of it.

So there it is. I already have my holiday want list ordered, I may even take this opportunity to try to clear out some old projects and seldom used cars while I wait for the new kit to arrive. Or I'll think about it for a few more months!

Durok: the Capra cage looks like it's just begging for a chopped up truck body to be wrapped around it. I've never been a 'Yota guy, but a sectioned hardbody Hilux would look sick on there. AFTER I get mine up and running, I may look into grafting a Sumo body over it.
I've behaved the same way myself - I bought the Bomber kit as my first crawler-type vehicle, but took a couple years to complete it - during which time I picked up an Ascender K10 RTR which I drove stock perhaps twice before also modding it.

I bought the Enduro RTR online, and it arrived on July 31 - have not driven it yet(!), but have ordered all sorts of parts for it as my ideas for how I wanted to modify it kept changing... I currently have the utility bed, most of the hard option parts, Factory Team transmission option parts and steel balls for all pivot points. Even though it's got the quite decent RTR electronics, waiting in the wings is a Mamba Micro X, a HH Stubby 2700kv, and a DS3218 Pro servo.

Not to mention ordering a VS4-10 chassis and those SSD Pro44 axles. In the background there's also a new K10 Ascender clear cab body and new cage, another set of complete SSD axles (aluminum diamond AR60s), a Hot Racing aluminum Bomber transmission with HR steel internals, MIP driveshafts, an Xtreme Racing carbon fiber chassis set for the Bomber, a special secret body for that chassis, an extra-long WB version of the Proline GMC Topkick body, a new/old Mamba Monster X, a Promodeler PM470, and a HH PP 4100kv.

Oh, yeah - and my TRX-4 Defender is laying around with hardly any signs of use - but with partially fried RTR electronics and a replacement set consisting of a HW1080, HH Trailmaster Sport 550 21t, and a DS3225 servo.

Lastly, a Futaba 3PV that I bought WAY back for the Bomber kit and never used - because the Ascender and Bomber are both currently up and running on a FlySky GT3C.

(And - because I finally went and added them up - 15(!!!) complete sets of wheels and tires... of which only 2 sets of tires are identical)

I realistically shouldn't allow myself another R/C at all this year, especially since I have not sold the Associated DB8 Nomad Desert Buggy go-fast rig that I have been planning on selling all along.

But - we all know how this hobby can grab a hold of you!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:47 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I bought myself a VS4-10 Origin for Christmas last year, so a Pro may be in order. I doubt I'll wait that long on the Capra. I won't pre-order it, but unless the people that did come back saying that it's garbage I'll probably have one by Halloween.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:04 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Gonna pick up a GCM tranny and rc4wd hard body for my scx10ii. Got ALL winter to perfect her yeehaw
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:51 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Capra - Super pumped for this one because I can never get enough tube frame buggies and it should strike the balance of performance and looks that is different from the trucks in my collection currently. Preorder is in with my LHS already.

TRX6x6 - Cool looking but zero desire to own one. I'd like to drive one for maybe a pack but that is probably the limit of enjoyment I would get out of it.

UMG6x6 - Same feeling as the TRX6x6

C2X - This one is a big no from me. Nothing brand new with AX10 axles (even in a fancier wrapper) is worth my money in 2019.

Kraken UTV - Intriguing but I haven't seen anything about it that makes me want to own one. It seems primed to be a vehicle that looks good on the shelf and that is where the enjoyment ends.

Element Trailwalker - Same thing, smaller tires, ugly body: pass

Tamiya CC02 - Its a Tamiya, this chassis will be available until 2053 in the current form. It will be full of Tamiya quirks and charm but I'll wait 25 years before picking one up.

Last edited by svt923; 09-17-2019 at 06:56 AM.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:12 AM   #12

Axial Capra is on order and I'm pumped about that one. I think it's because it's different rather than being another scaler or trail truck.

The Vanquish Origin Pro is on my radar as well.

SSD Trail King also looks awesome.

As far as accessories go I think the Traxxas Traxx would be fun this winter.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:30 AM   #13

For me it is Capra vs TRX-6.

I like that the Capra is a 1.9 kit with high quality parts and cage design. I am unsure about the durability of the portal design. The TRX-4 portal has like 8 screws an a lot of ribbing. The cramped chassis that requires special battery, esc, micro servo might get on my nerves. I know the performance is better, but the axle mounted servo looks kinda bad.

The TRX- is cool because the AMG actually has portals in real life. The unlocking diffs make sense when trying to reduce turning radius of 6x6. The included front, rear, and side LEDs are pretty sweet. However, being a RTR I will have to replace the electronics. Also, the 6x6 can be difficult to carry around / transport. Plus, the shipping will kill me when I eventually get bored and sell on ebay. The TRX-6 will get much more "oohs and ahhs" from my kids than the Capra.
MrFridayNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:21 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I like the Capra and feel it would be a great kit for my collection. But.... I am holding out on pre-ordering one. I have a hunch (or maybe just wishful thinking) that Traxxas has a KOH style rig coming out. Ever since I first saw their UDR, I have thought if they put the same effort into a KOH rig, I would be beating down the door to buy one.

Dream would be a IFS/Solid Axle rig like Jason Scherer's, Loren Healy's, or maybe a Campbell car.
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:34 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

the capra looks interesting but I just spend my xmas money already. put in an order for a cross-rc bc8 mammoth. I have a vast collection of rigs with 2 axles, a 6x6 and a 10x10 I've been building. missing a 8x8!
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post
the capra looks interesting but I just spend my xmas money already. put in an order for a cross-rc bc8 mammoth. I have a vast collection of rigs with 2 axles, a 6x6 and a 10x10 I've been building. missing a 8x8!
Sick! I'm totally jealous.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #17

I've been looking at the Element Enduro slider kit. I've got some Proline Wrangler Unlimited bodies sitting here waiting for something to put them on, and as a Team Associated fanboy, I feel like I should have an Enduro.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:35 AM   #18
RCC Addict

I'm selling off a couple of TLR vehicles and an ECX stadium truck. I will be picking up a TRX4 sport kit right away with this money. I'm also selling my tricked out Wraith to finance the Capra. Christmas is coming early at my house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:38 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Myself, always want more new trucks. But at the moment all I want is stuff to finish up my trx4, brass stuff. Wheels and tires and finish my body. And if I get time and money start the honcho project. And to top it off work on my scx10ii project again.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:18 PM   #20
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Axial

As far as accessories go I think the Traxxas Traxx would be fun this winter.
I picked up the TRX4 Sport Kit in the spring and still haven't unboxed it

Now looking at a fall assembly, I think a set of Trax may be my xmas treat as well. Hopefully they actually do better in snow than wide tires.

I find it hard not to get caught up in the excitement surrounding the plethora of new rigs, but man, i feel like I need to wait for the dust to settle. I am looking forward to seeing what guys do with their Capra's. Like many, I find the draw of an entirely new chassis appealing
smog is offline   Reply With Quote

2019 Holiday season R/C crawler shopping... What's everyone thinking? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KCRC 2019 season schedule the DMG Missouri 1 05-07-2019 08:19 PM
2018/ 2019 Comp Season Mudeater67 New Mexico 3 04-28-2019 03:21 AM
Be safe this holiday season RCC ROCKEDUP RICKY Chit Chat 10 01-01-2014 11:53 PM
THE deal of the holiday season! Redfinger Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 11-29-2009 07:23 PM