Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Tamiya CC-01 as my next crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2019, 02:22 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tamiya CC-01 as my next crawler?

I am looking to get a scale crawler for some trial driving. I have had several crawlers before (Axial SCX10, Gmade, MST CMX etc..) but I am now leaning towards getting a Tamiya CC-01. They seems to be very popular trucks however I am afraid that I will be disappointed in the crawling performance of these trucks. I know that it will not perform as good as bigger crawlers but will it perform as good as for example an Trailfinder 2? Is it possible to crawl with the CC-01 at all or is it mainly for the lighter trails?

If I decide to get one, which model is the best one to get? Ford F-350, Defender etc…?

Many thanks!
waqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2019, 06:31 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tamiya CC-01 as my next crawler?

ive been sayin the cc01 is my next crawler for years now but it never seems to work out that way lol i want the mu isuzu version personaly i have several tamiyas in the ta01-02-03 and ffo1 flavors that all share some basic parts the ta02 platform is a ok crawler not on par with a scx10 or the like but there still alot of fun ive run my ta02 side by side with my other rigs and it keeps up to a point and can make vary basic course fun cause you realy have to think about your line but in my opinion is a better trail truck than a crawler but if you lock the diffs it will crawl

the problem i find with tamiya is they dont like being overpowered they seem reliable if you keep the silver can motor ive run mine on 3s and it seemed to hold up but thats about as much power as i will run in mine brushless distroys parts fast other than that there alot of fun

Last edited by ferp420; 11-14-2019 at 06:33 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:31 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

It is possible to "crawl", but it takes a lot of tweaking and modifying. They are definitely better as trail trucks.

Having said that, I personally prefer taking something that is less capable and modifying it until it is capable.

Lots and lots of threads to research in this section to help you make a decision.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:58 AM   #4

I have one with all the Yeah Racing aluminium bits, and better tires with the old wrangler body. Looks fantastic but only really a trail truck. I love it and wouldn't sell it, but a crawler it aint. I also have an MST CMX that is a fantastic little crawler and takes the cc01 shells just fine. Very nearly the same wheelbase exactly, certainly close enough to use all the Tamiya bodies. Just a thought to consider.
Blaize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:53 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Really like the size of that chassis and what really draws me into this kit is Tamiya's building experience. It hard to match and that alone will make me buy it.

Using it for mild trails and to show off some of those incredible Tamiya hard bodies. The drivetrain should also be smooth
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:18 AM   #6

Hello my old Friend !

It's Derek from YouTube ! (now Holly Hill RC) I was researching the Axial AX3 and Hobbywing 1060 ESC compatibility and stumbled across your name on the forum. I couldn't believe it ! I recognised it immediately. How are you my old friend. It's great to see you are still active in the RC world. The CC-01 although very popular and a great scale trailer, is not a good crawler. I have seven of them, all in various stages of customisation ranging from completely stock to completely hopped up. Like Blaze has mentioned the MST chassis are much better. I use a lot of the CC-01 bodies on a MST CMX chassis, which has an adjustable wheelbase to suit all the CC-01 bodies. It's also better than the new released Tamiya CC-02 chassis as well. But a better chassis for the bodies would be the MST CFX because the weight distribution is more forward than my CMX, and it also has the same wheelbase adjustment. Keep in touch. It's awesome to have found you again 😊👍
Holly Hill RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:42 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for all replies
Old 12-13-2019, 06:43 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Hill RC View Post
Hello my old Friend !

It's Derek from YouTube ! (now Holly Hill RC) I was researching the Axial AX3 and Hobbywing 1060 ESC compatibility and stumbled across your name on the forum. I couldn't believe it ! I recognised it immediately. How are you my old friend. It's great to see you are still active in the RC world. The CC-01 although very popular and a great scale trailer, is not a good crawler. I have seven of them, all in various stages of customisation ranging from completely stock to completely hopped up. Like Blaze has mentioned the MST chassis are much better. I use a lot of the CC-01 bodies on a MST CMX chassis, which has an adjustable wheelbase to suit all the CC-01 bodies. It's also better than the new released Tamiya CC-02 chassis as well. But a better chassis for the bodies would be the MST CFX because the weight distribution is more forward than my CMX, and it also has the same wheelbase adjustment. Keep in touch. It's awesome to have found you again 😊👍
Likewise Derek

I just sent you a personal message.