Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Brand new to Crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2020, 06:15 PM   #1

Default Brand new to Crawling

I have been in the hobby for YEARS. I ran mostly nitro until recently. I made the switch. I took my buggy an Associated Monster Gt and converted them both to brushless. My buggy is for speed and my MT is for everything else. Crawling never appealed to me.

Last week I was at a park near my house and a guy with an Axial SCX2 and I started talking. We decided to swap rigs for a bit. Now he has put a ton of money, but IT had started as an RBK. Within a few minutes I was hooked.

I’m looking at a redcat Everest gen7 sport RTR ($200) to get into the hobby, is appealing, but I love the idea of building a kit (axial SCX RBK)

I guess Whstcim really interested in is hearing from all of you, what did you start with, what do you recommend. Etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jburd65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2020, 06:30 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Brand new to Crawling

I started crawling in 09/10 with the original Axial AX10 Scorpian. Great Rig really. Got out in 2012ish after a 1/2 a dozen crawlers and a custom built Moon/Rock buggy.

Just got back in about 2 months ago. Never was a RedCat fan as they were lower quality back 10 yrs ago. They have stepped up their game over the last few yrs.

So when looking I was going to get the SCX10 III (just released) but it was Out of Stock everywhere. So after a little more research, I decided to drop the 500 on the RedCat Gen 8 AXE. Knowing electronics, and seeing the cost of the items with the 8 Axe unit. it was a no brainer. 380ish in Electronics for an extra 210ish in cost.

The Gen 8 itself was 289 I think it was. So for 210 more, to get a 200.00 ESC/Brushless motor (its a nice system), 100.00 Reefs RC Servo (422hd v2) and the Flysky 6 channel radio (about 80.00) it was really a no brainer.

Those electronics will go into any crawler so saving 150 on them was easy peasy.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:37 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I’ve heard good things about the new gen 8 axe.
I started a little over a year ago with an axial wraith. Really fun rig until I picked up an scx10 ii then I was hooked on the scale rigs. I built the 10.2 pretty well then I swapped the wraith for another 10.2 and picked up a twin hammers. Wasn’t a fan of the hammers. Then Axial announced the 10.3 so I sold everything and ordered the scx10 iii but couldn’t get it so I picked up a Capra kit. I now have the Capra a 10.3 and just finished building a trx4.
I still really like the 10.2 platform, I think it was around long enough that the aftermarket world will be able to support it for a long time.
If you end up with the RBK I highly recommend running the kit transmission. It’s another $50 but so much smoother and quieter imo. Best of luck choosing!

Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:47 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I started with a Losi Mini Rock crawler, then moved up to a 4x4 Wheely King with a crawler conversion. The og Scx10 was a huge performance advantage, and now I have multiple Scx10II's.

The Scx10 RBK is a fantastic build that comes with a pile of spare parts. It is probably the easiest truck to make your own. It does not include tires, wheels, a body, or electronics. It has a very simple 3 gear center transmission that is great, but can be difficult to mount and interior around. Mine has now been relegated to being the "wifes". But I beat the living snot out of it first with a two speed, and a 3000kv brushless 4pole, with the only failure being a pin in the rear drive shaft.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:13 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I started off with a Tamiya CC-01 simply because I didnt know any better and just like the FJ40 body. Big mistake, I dumped way too much money into modding it only to have it perform marginally better, I should have jumped ship sooner.

If its a Redcat I would suggest the Gen 8 over the 7. The Gen 8 seems much more loved in terms of the owners and aftermarket plus its their own in house design unlike the 7. I have the Gen 8 and it the closest to an RTR configuration out of all of my rigs but still performs surprisingly well. SCX10.2 is still a great truck, I dont see that changing. The TRX-4 is also really good and durable, can be had with or without bells and whistles. Element Enduro is another very solid option, I think its the only or one of few that includes a crawler oriented 5 slot motor with the RTR (most all others are 3 slot) their shocks are hands down some of the best available.

There's so many good options right now is a great time to get into the hobby. Though there are still some duds out on the market (lower performance and durability).

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 06-11-2020 at 11:19 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:25 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Look at the aftermarket support for the various rigs. The TRX4 and SCX series have by far the most support which will make a difference when you start upgrading.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:28 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

If you have your heart set on a Redcat Gen8, just be careful if you choose getting the Scout bodied version. Seems the first runs of these had some weak points such as axle housings and portal gears. That said, the Redcat Gen8 P.A.C.K. kits seems to have these issues fixed, I have 2 of them, and not have these issues. And I love both P.A.C.K. kits I have. They perform very well against my TRX4 Bronco and Element Enduro. Each rig has it's strong ad weak points, but still wouldn't trade off any for another, just cuz.

That all said, Redcat Gen8 P.A.C.K. kit, TRX4 Sport, Bronco, Blazer, Land Rover, AE Element Enduro, Heck even the new SCX10 III, you can't go wrong. Just my experience. There all fun rigs, and have excellent support behind them.
dungeonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:32 AM   #8

I was going to get the gen8 pack but wanted to assemble my kit, luckily I found this on eBay. I’ll be paying more in the end, but I get to build it up myself. All that I need are axles, tires, electronics and transmission. I will be spreading these parts out in time.

These are from a gen 8 Axe edition RTR. Shocks drive train and complete chassis.

Jburd65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Brand new to Crawling - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brand new to Crawling and looking for advice Captain Midnight Newbie General 5 12-23-2009 04:47 PM
Brand new to crawling?? Help me? traxxas4fun Newbie General 11 04-14-2009 01:52 PM
Brand New to RC Crawling Daniel3507 Newbie General 13 03-19-2009 06:12 PM
my ax10 brand new to crawling dub599 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 02-24-2008 11:26 PM
Brand new to RC crawling...hello everyone mikeyours Newbie General 3 09-24-2007 05:31 PM