RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/)
-   -   Traxxas big bore shocks (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/626177-traxxas-big-bore-shocks.html)

TBuggy 08-23-2021 08:30 AM

Traxxas big bore shocks

So I have seen a lot of people have used the traxxas big bore shocks for their crawlers. I have a set I wanted to try out. I did the losi spring mod to them and wanted to run these upside down.

Problem is, is that the shock cap is designed to only pivot front and back and can't pivot side to side. This makes it so it does not articulate well when installed on a rig.

So my question is, what's the secret to getting these to work properly? Do I need to get a different shock cap that I can insert a pivot ball in? Is there a part I can add that allows this movement to happen?

mikemcE 08-23-2021 08:34 AM

Re: Traxxas big bore shocks

Have you done the rod end mod?

Hang up and Drive

WHITE-TRASH 08-23-2021 09:02 AM

Pop the cap off and cut the mounting eye off. Now look inside the cap and use the dimple in the center to line up the drill bit and punch a hole for a 3mm button head screw to go through. Now put a rod end on that screw and reinstall the cap.

TBuggy 08-23-2021 09:02 AM

Nope I have not. I figured I was missing something...can you point me in the direction I can find how to, or can you explain what people are doing?

Much appreciated!

TBuggy 08-23-2021 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH (Post 6090909)
Pop the cap off and cut the mounting eye off. Now look inside the cap and use the dimple in the center to line up the drill bit and punch a hole for a 3mm button head screw to go through. Now put a rod end on that screw and reinstall the cap.

That sounds like what I will be doing. I figured it would be simple and that's how the dravtech shocks are (without the drilling).

Awesome and thank you!

meatmonkey 08-23-2021 09:43 AM

Dlux sells special pivot balls for the tops of those big bores. Way back when we just made a bushing out of nitro fuel tubing and didn't overtighten the bolt.

garyk 08-23-2021 02:16 PM

Do the rod end mod on the cap.

Or, if you want the overall length shorter you can use the Traxxas 8361 caps. In some cases you might still not be able to run the shocks inverted with those caps, but they have pivot balls and will work correctly with articulation.

xkill 08-24-2021 08:44 AM

Just get yourself some TRX8361 parts.

They are shock caps with rodends ;)

TBuggy 08-24-2021 10:12 PM

Thanks everyone who chimed in. It helped me a lot. I liked the idea of keeping the shocks short and went ahead and ordered the shock caps with the rod ends. They were actually pretty cheap.

I did look at the caps at dluxfab and maybe I will get them if I decide to make a more sizable purchase from them. The shipping for just the caps was crazy high.

I may still try the cap mod later down the road. We will see if I like the shocks that short or not.

Zoqi 08-25-2021 03:23 PM

Would the Dluxfab pivot ball ends (https://dluxfab.com/Big-Bore-Shock-Ends-p6395782) give the same results as the traxxas 8361 shock caps?

WHITE-TRASH 08-25-2021 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoqi (Post 6091119)
Would the Dluxfab pivot ball ends (https://dluxfab.com/Big-Bore-Shock-Ends-p6395782) give the same results as the traxxas 8361 shock caps?

Yea it's about the same deal.

TBuggy 08-25-2021 10:31 PM

I got a set a caps for $8. Those dluxfab pivot balls are $7/pair and then they want $11 to ship those tiny things plus tax. I just couldn't buy them knowing that it does not cost that much to ship those little pivot balls.

Fricker08 08-25-2021 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBuggy (Post 6091163)
I got a set a caps for $8. Those dluxfab pivot balls are $7/pair and then they want $11 to ship those tiny things plus tax. I just couldn't buy them knowing that it does not cost that much to ship those little pivot balls.

That’s the one downfall of dlux… flat rate of $11 to ship no matter how big, little or amount you order. I respect Gspeed for keeping it real on shipping costs. The only time I pay the shipping is when I’m buying shocks, which in my opinion is worth the couple bucks more over the Traxxas big bores. They’re already machined, the cut the body square so the spring sits flush, they include springs, the shock shafts are titanium if I’m not mistaken and you get your choice of color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBuggy 08-25-2021 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fricker08 (Post 6091164)
That’s the one downfall of dlux… flat rate of $11 to ship no matter how big, little or amount you order. I respect Gspeed for keeping it real on shipping costs. The only time I pay the shipping is when I’m buying shocks, which in my opinion is worth the couple bucks more over the Traxxas big bores. They’re already machined, the cut the body square so the spring sits flush, they include springs, the shock shafts are titanium if I’m not mistaken and you get your choice of color.

I agree and I have a set of their shocks already on another rig and the shipping was worth it for a purchase like that IMO. I had happened to already have a set of big bores from my rustlers and figured instead of buying another set of shocks for the next build at least use the big bores first and go from there.

SaltyDog 09-26-2022 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBuggy (Post 6091057)
I liked the idea of keeping the shocks short and went ahead and ordered the shock caps with the rod ends. They were actually pretty cheap.

Chiming in on this old post. I’m wondering what caps you ended up ordering? I’m in the same predicament.

twade984 09-26-2022 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltyDog (Post 6123236)
Chiming in on this old post. I’m wondering what caps you ended up ordering? I’m in the same predicament.

I’m assuming these:

https://dluxfab.com/Traxxas-8361-Shock-Caps-p426391345

I put those on a set recently, quite a bit shorter than the machined caps with rod ends, but they do add some girth.

SaltyDog 09-26-2022 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twade984 (Post 6123237)
I’m assuming these:

https://dluxfab.com/Traxxas-8361-Shock-Caps-p426391345

I put those on a set recently, quite a bit shorter than the machined caps with rod ends, but they do add some girth.

My issue is finding big bore cap balls that fit snug with no play. I think the set I’m using currently are from some Proline specs and there’s a good 2mm of wiggle room side to side. I’m using metal caps so I can’t jam any in them. This seems like the perfect solution.